Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Planet or Ecos Detergent? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401057)

MommyCaroline 05-31-2012 12:54 PM

Planet or Ecos Detergent?

Please move this if I put it in the wrong place... I wasn't too sure. :blush:

Anyhoo! I want to use a detergent that can be used on both my regular laundry, AND cloth diapers, without costing a fortune! Something that can be bought at my local store.... I have looked at a couple different detergent lists, and these two seem to have gotten the best ratings! They both are reasonably priced, and I can get both of them at my grocery store near my house....

Which one would you use out of these two options?

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/217652195.jpg

OOORRRRR

http://www.ecos.com/images/EcosF&C100oz.jpg

sisu 05-31-2012 01:09 PM

Planet worked better on diapers for me. We use Tide for everything now, though.

TooBusyBearcubs 05-31-2012 01:13 PM

Re: Planet or Ecos Detergent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyCaroline (Post 15177991)
Please move this if I put it in the wrong place... I wasn't too sure. :blush:

Anyhoo! I want to use a detergent that can be used on both my regular laundry, AND cloth diapers, without costing a fortune! Something that can be bought at my local store.... I have looked at a couple different detergent lists, and these two seem to have gotten the best ratings! They both are reasonably priced, and I can get both of them at my grocery store near my house....

Which one would you use out of these two options?

Its ok to post this here, mama. You'll probably still get some responses either way, but you may get more of them under Diaper Chatter - Q&A. :goodvibes:

I have used both of these - Planet Liquid 2X for about 6 months, and Ecos currently. I thought the Planet was doing a good job, until we started using the Ecos. They both work ok, but I think Ecos ha s slight advantage in both effectiveness and price. With both detergents, I have found that if I have a SUPER stinky dipe, or some of DH's running (sweaty) shirts, I may have to run those particular items through an extra wash. You'll need to pre-treat stains with a little detergent to make sure they come out. But, for the most part, I prefer Ecos.
I called the company for some samples, and they stuck some coupons in there. Also, you can usually find Ecos at a better price. Walgreens.com had the big bottle for $7.99 a couple of weeks ago!
A lot of families just use original Tide with great results, and we used Arm & Hammer F&C for a while, and it was fine, too. :thumbsup:

roseyroberts 05-31-2012 01:20 PM

I love the ecos. I buy it at sam's club.It is so much cheaper there. I buy a huge 252 load jug for $13.00. I have never tried the planet, becasue it is very expensive in our local store.

MommyCaroline 05-31-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooBusyBearcubs (Post 15178113)
Its ok to post this here, mama. You'll probably still get some responses either way, but you may get more of them under Diaper Chatter - Q&A. :goodvibes:

I have used both of these - Planet Liquid 2X for about 6 months, and Ecos currently. I thought the Planet was doing a good job, until we started using the Ecos. They both work ok, but I think Ecos ha s slight advantage in both effectiveness and price. With both detergents, I have found that if I have a SUPER stinky dipe, or some of DH's running (sweaty) shirts, I may have to run those particular items through an extra wash. You'll need to pre-treat stains with a little detergent to make sure they come out. But, for the most part, I prefer Ecos.
I called the company for some samples, and they stuck some coupons in there. Also, you can usually find Ecos at a better price. Walgreens.com had the big bottle for $7.99 a couple of weeks ago!
A lot of families just use original Tide with great results, and we used Arm & Hammer F&C for a while, and it was fine, too. :thumbsup:

Good to know, I will post this over there as well, thanks! :D

So all in all, I should prob use Ecos? I have moderately hard water, so I have to keep that in mind... Also, when I was CD my DD, I would rinse out her poopy diapers. Most of the time, I left her pee diapers as is, and just tossed them in the pail. But the poopy ones got a good rinsing right away, and we never had stink issues. lol For the next babe, I plan to use flats, prefolds and fitteds, so washing will be MUCH easier. I can't do pockets or AIO's, because pockets didn't fit DD - they always drooped; and AIOs are my enemy with washing. lol :blush:

Also, can I use ANY Ecos, or does it have to be the F&C one?

MommyCaroline 05-31-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseyroberts (Post 15178147)
I love the ecos. I buy it at sam's club.It is so much cheaper there. I buy a huge 252 load jug for $13.00. I have never tried the planet, becasue it is very expensive in our local store.

Both are about the same price at my local store. I want to use one of these, because I can get either of them at my store here..... The next closest store to me is about 30-40 mins away! I just want to be sure I will be able to get detergent if I forget when I do the bulk shopping. lol

GEMQEMCABOOSE 05-31-2012 01:36 PM

I have not had the best luck iwth ECOS on our diapers. Planet was ok. I stumbled onto ALL Free and Clear Oxiactive and I cannot say enough good about it. Cheap, easy to find, and the diapers are perfect!

MommyCaroline 05-31-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE (Post 15178233)
I have not had the best luck iwth ECOS on our diapers. Planet was ok. I stumbled onto ALL Free and Clear Oxiactive and I cannot say enough good about it. Cheap, easy to find, and the diapers are perfect!

I used All F&C when I first started CD, and it almost made me quit CD because I had to strip within the first month!!! :cry:

TooBusyBearcubs 05-31-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyCaroline (Post 15178193)
Good to know, I will post this over there as well, thanks! :D

So all in all, I should prob use Ecos? I have moderately hard water, so I have to keep that in mind... Also, when I was CD my DD, I would rinse out her poopy diapers. Most of the time, I left her pee diapers as is, and just tossed them in the pail. But the poopy ones got a good rinsing right away, and we never had stink issues. lol For the next babe, I plan to use flats, prefolds and fitteds, so washing will be MUCH easier. I can't do pockets or AIO's, because pockets didn't fit DD - they always drooped; and AIOs are my enemy with washing. lol :blush:

Also, can I use ANY Ecos, or does it have to be the F&C one?

Yep - I use the diaper sprayer on the poopy ones, and don't usually have a problem. I think I had to run one in an extra load once so far, but I have a standard toploader now, too, and that may make a difference. I don't bother rinsing the peepee ones. Even with older toddler pee, we don't seem to need to. I do still do a cold pre-rinse with a little detergent (below line 1), then a warm main cycle (detergent between line 1 and 2), that includes a cold final rinse. I do also pre-soak the dipes from time to time, just to make sure everything is getting loosened up and washed out.
Not sure if you can use the scented Ecos with the dipes. :headscratch: At this point, we have to use F&C because my skin can't handle fragrance of any kind. :(

MommyCaroline 05-31-2012 02:19 PM

When I was CD, my was went like this:

Cold prewash - no detergent
Hot wash with 2 tablespoons Planet (forgot to mention I used it lol )
Cold wash with extra rinse.

Toss everything in the dryer for 10-15 mins. Pull out all PUL items to hang dry the rest of the way, dry everything else on high until dry. Sun whatever needed it. I was mainly using fitteds made by myself with a cover, and some flats. The only time I have ever had stinks or issues was when we were using All F&C...