Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me come up with our Summer Reading List! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401090)

mrs_blazen 05-31-2012 01:58 PM

Help me come up with our Summer Reading List!

So I've decided to make a Summer Reading List for my 2 year old DS. Obviously, these will be books DH or I will read to him. I've come up with several books so far, but would LOVE some input on what to add! What are you and your LOs favorite books??

Leanbh 05-31-2012 09:51 PM

Re: Help me come up with our Summer Reading List!

My little guy is 3 on Saturday! But I'll go through his favorites from the past few months.

All Sandra Boynton books - he has just started speech a few months ago and I realize how terrific these are for speech, lots of rhymes and good practice words like HAT...TTTT......for final T sound etc.

Curious George - got for his 2yr old bday, didn't show interest until 2.5yr, now obsessed. We have the hardback red edition with 8 stories. Just got him the yellow and blue hardback ones for his bday, he's going to be so excited.

How do dinosaurs say goodnight/eat their food etc.......this is a new love!!

A large portion of our books are from europe(my family - gifts and hand me downs) so not books that are so common here.

Check out the library as they compile a reading list for most grade levels and I have to check if they do it for the younger kids.

Leanbh 05-31-2012 09:51 PM

Oh.....the "That's not my truck/dog/etc" series is good for younger kids too.

GreenDahlia 06-01-2012 02:42 AM

We just go to the library andcheck out a stack of books. Sometimes we get a dud but it is a great way to discover new books. Dont be afraid to try nonfiction, my dd loves books about frogs, dinosaurs, etc.

Some of our favorite books:
Jamberry
Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
All the Llama Llama books
Mouse Paint
Corduroy
Chicka chicka boom boom
Olivia
Charlie the Ranch Dog
Five little monkeys
Skippyjon Jones
alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day
Chrysanthemum

Authors:
Mem Fox
Patricia Polacco

Holly dolly 06-01-2012 05:58 AM

My boys love books!!!

Their favorite right now is "I Love You Stinky Face"

Anything with trucks or bugs or dinosaurs is a hit here too.

raisingcropsandbabies 06-01-2012 06:19 AM

Popular with my 2,3,4 yr old boys...

Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site
Bear Snores On... series
Llama, Llama Red Pajama... series
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
To Market, To Market (my 2 yr old LOVES this book)
Barnyard Dance
Where Is Baby's.... series (Easte Eggs, Belly Button, etc) great for 2 yr. olds
Where is Spot? board books
Goodnight Moon
Any book with Tractors, Farm Animals
Big Red Barn
Two Little Trains by Margaret Wise Brown
A Child's Good Morning Book
A Child's Good Night Book
Little Donkey, Close Your Eyes
Everywhere Babies by Susan Myers (love)
Ten Little Fingers, Ten Little Toes by Mem Fox
Time for Bed by Mem Fox (i've had to buy this one 2x now because we read it so much, the binding got too used)
I Love Trains
The Goodnight Train
Chugga Chugga Choo Choo
Hush, Little Baby by Marla Frazee (a big favorite)
Babies, Babies, Everywhere

dancermommy1 06-01-2012 07:21 AM

DS (23 months) loves books, much to my delight, but I let him pick his books to read. He shows obvious tendencies toward some favorites, and it changes weekly. Right now he really likes:

Richard Scary's "Good Night Little Bear"
"Mother Goose Rhymes" board book (this shocked me--it's got such OLD drawings, and uses the old english syntax, so I didn't think he would like it, but I sing the rhymes to him and he asks for it almost every night!!!)
"Where's My Truck"
ANY of the Tonka books about construction equipment, tractors, farms, planes, etc...
"Brown Bear Brown Bear"--he likes this cause we've read it since he was a baby and now he can name the colors and animals

smashncakes 06-01-2012 07:28 AM

How Does a Dinosaur...series
Llama llama series
Grumpy Gloria (same author as the llama llama books)
anything sandra boynton
Both of my kids :wub: the Alexander series...Alexander and the terrible,horrible, no good very bad day; Alexander who used to be rich last sunday; Alexander, Who's Not (Do you hear me? I mean it!) Going to move.
...and pretty much any other book GreenDahlia mentioned :)

We started reading the Harry Potter series to our oldest at bedtime when he was about a year old and have gone through that whole series...obviously no pictures, but that never really bothered him.

blackbirdmama*3 06-01-2012 07:35 AM

Mike Mulligan
Llama Llama series
Brown bear, brown bear
Going on a bear hunt

Those were our favorites. We usually go to the library and pick out something new each week but the above we read all the time.

dancermommy1 06-01-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smashncakes (Post 15182039)
We started reading the Harry Potter series to our oldest at bedtime when he was about a year old and have gone through that whole series...obviously no pictures, but that never really bothered him.

Did he pay attention? I read the first book to DS when he was a newborn :giggle: mostly as a way to pass time while nursing, but I would LOVE to start reading some *real* books to him. I think I'll start a spinoff, in fact...