Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Am I setting myself up for failure?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401263)

firsttimejoy 05-31-2012 08:31 PM

Am I setting myself up for failure??

I am lucky enough to work in my family business and have job security, but unlike popular belief, the fact that I work with my mom is not all roses and rainbows. She own a property management/investment firm which includes apartments and single family homes. Together there is about 150 units total. I am a property manager/personal assistant full time. I also have a part time online job which I do on my own time, very flexible but still takes up an hour or two a day. AND currently I am enrolled in school full time. Needless to say my days are pretty full and since this will be my first LO right now I manage pretty well. Once LO arrives, I will take a week or two off from my office job then I will be able to bring him with me to the office. We dont get alot of foot traffic so this is a luxury I am very thankful for. I also do not plan to take any time off from school, but LO is due on the first day of the the fall semester so that is still to be determined.
My mom thinks I should take the fall semester off so I wont be overwhelmed but if I do it is going to set me way behind as I am scheduled to start the LVN program and if I dont I wont be able to until the following fall. I keep telling her and everyone that I will be fine and I can handle it becuase DH is being very supportive but my question is, IS this really feasable?? Or am I setting myself up for failure?? I would like to know if anyone else had done something similar or if I should listen to my mom. TIA

mibarra 05-31-2012 08:46 PM

That sounds like a lot, but you do what you have to do. No one can tell you what you can handle. BUT don't plan on sleeping for more than 4 hours at a time tile at least 3 months ;)

luvsviola 05-31-2012 11:03 PM

Re: Am I setting myself up for failure??

If it were me, and I had to go back to work, I'd take the semester off. :) Cherish the time with your LO. You'll be a better mom without the stress, and then add it back in when LO is 3 months old and sleeping longer.

I was in school full time and working full time, and did one semester full time when DFS first came to us. But it was obvious right away that I needed to back off, so I did one class at a time and while it took longer to finish, it was worth it so I could be "present" for my kids instead of stressed out all the time.

Mommimi 05-31-2012 11:32 PM

No matter how much you prepare - you are never totally prepared to have a child until you've experience it. Having my first LO was full of surprises - both stressful and joyful. There is childcare situation and the extra time it takes to get out of the house to consider (even if you can take LO to work with you, don't expect to get the same amount of work or schoolwork done with LO in toe). Then there are unexpected events, like when the baby is sick or simply the amount of baby wellness checks. If your day is already full without LO, then you'll have to cutback on something but that can be work hours versus school.

The days are long but the years are short. They grow up very quickly! ~Mimi

Nerissa 06-01-2012 06:14 AM

If you are planning on going back to work after only a couple weeks I would take the semester off. A new baby, no sleep, ect takes alot more out of you than you realize. I wasn't prepared for that after DS1 was born. There is no way I would have been ready to go back to just work with a 2 week old. 7 weeks was barely enough.

you might want to wait until your LO is born and you see how you are feeling before saying you will be back to work after 2 weeks.

good luck with whatever you decide

firsttimejoy 06-01-2012 08:01 AM

Thanks ladies. This certainly has given me alot to think about. I've always had this "I can do it" attitude and push myself beyond belief to prove people wrong but I've never had a new tiny life involved. It's good for me to get other perspectives besides my family.

Ten 06-02-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firsttimejoy (Post 15182225)
Thanks ladies. This certainly has given me alot to think about. I've always had this "I can do it" attitude and push myself beyond belief to prove people wrong but I've never had a new tiny life involved. It's good for me to get other perspectives besides my family.

I'm like this too, and would've had the same plans you did before my first. Having gone through it, now, even I would counsel taking the semester off. It might set you back, but trust me - you're going to be too sleep deprived to do basic math, let alone rigorous studying. It's not failing to take a step back... women may be able to do anything, but there's nothing that says we have to do everything at once. Schooling will be there. Your LO is only this young once. :hugs: and good luck with whatever you decide!

doodah 06-02-2012 06:19 PM

Dont push yourself. you will regret not spending more time with your infant. the rest of the stuff can wait but as they say "babies dont keep". slow your life down, at least for a few months and give yourself as much down time as possible. you never know if you will have a hard delivery (or even c section), if your baby will be high needs or if you will struggle with PPD or something. as a working mom of 3 that has done it all.....WAHM, WOHM, student, etc, etc.....please plan to slow down.