Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Sept (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   How would you respond to someone asking this. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401297)

2beauties 05-31-2012 10:11 PM

How would you respond to someone asking this.

I would call this girl more of an acquaintance than a friend, but we are "friends" on fb. I am very good friends with her cousin and a lot of her family. She wrote me on FB and asked me this

Hey Hollie! I hope all is going well with you and your family!
Well the reason I'm messaging you is to ask you a question. Jesse and I recently started discussing another addition to our family. It will be a few more months before we start trying but the name thing popped up cause we have an issue with agreeing on names. But the option of Evelyn June came up. I know that's your 'baby girls' name so I wanted to ask you IF by some chance that we can't agree on anything else would it be ok if "stole" that name from you? Its totally ok if you don't want us to use it. That's why I'm asking! Just let me know.
Oh and by the way nobody knows about this yet so no one else can find out;)
When is your next one due?

Its just weird to me. I can't really tell her what to or not name her child or give her permission to use a name or not. Of course in my pregnant, territorial self, I don't really want her to use it. My daughter is not Evelyn, but Evie June, but I am assuming they will call her Evie. What should I say. I don't want to be rude, but really I can't really tell them what to do. Thoughts?

smplmama 05-31-2012 11:35 PM

Re: How would you respond to someone asking this.

I don't think its a big deal considering she is an acquaintance/FB friend. I would be pissy about it if she were immediate family or always around in person.

kind of weird how she is already asking when she isn't even pregnant yet and might not even have a girl LOL.

heidisue 05-31-2012 11:38 PM

It's kind of nice that she thought to ask you :) I would just be honest with her. If it would really bother you then tell her and if not then let her leave it as an option. It sounds like it is a name they like and she just wants to make sure she doesn't upset you by using it.

I wouldn't assume they are going to go by "Evie". They could use the whole name, Eve, Lynn, and I'm sure there are a few nicknames for Evelyn that I am not thinking of.

Mjnslce 06-01-2012 07:34 AM

I think that it is great that she asked you but I would tell her that the name is taken already. It sounds like she will be fine about it. I would take it as a compliment meaning that you little one made an impression on her. I found that all of the manes I liked that belonged to someone I knew was because they were good people. It’s going to be a while before she had a baby she will find something she likes by then. Good luck!

champatlife 06-01-2012 08:35 AM

I'd say go ahead. She could totally change her mind by the time she is pregnant OR have a boy and no need for the name, plus you said she's an acquaintance, not a bff.

Nerissa 06-01-2012 11:40 AM

Personally I would tell her it was fine and not a big deal. There would be a minimum of 5 years between the girls, if she gets preggo right away and has a girl. Do you socialize with them on a regular basis-- cause that is the only reason I would consider saying it might be confusing.

But really no one owns a name and anyone can name thier child whatever they want. I think it is kinda sweet that she asked.

austinandashlynsmommy 06-01-2012 01:43 PM

I do think it would be sort of awkward, but since she isn't even expecting, I wouldn't worry too much about it. We have changed our name list with each child, completely, so there's a good possibility they will change their minds anyway.

2beauties 06-01-2012 02:05 PM

Here is what I wrote. I hope it sounded ok.

Hey! Our new baby girl is due sometime in September. It's really up to you about the name, it's not like I own it. Of course, I am a little possessive about my Evie June, but that is probably just because I am pregnant anyway. Are you going to call her Evelyn or Evie for short? Well ultimately if you want to use it you can do whatever you want.
Maybe ask yourself if someone used your Addy's name would it bother you? If not, then go for it! Thanks for asking. I am sure God will give you the exact name for you little one, and if its Evelyn June, then name her that. Blessings on another child!

QHoneyB 06-07-2012 05:32 AM

Sounds like a fine reply to me. It wouldn't bother me if it was someone I didn't socialize with a lot in real life. Kind of nice that she asked you, though.

littlemsmom 06-07-2012 02:46 PM

Wouldn't bother me at all.

I find it odd that she's asking about a name before she's even pg or talked names over with her SO.