Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Am I being paranoid? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401310)

brayden2020 05-31-2012 10:58 PM

Am I being paranoid?

Dd is 12 weeks old. Every once in a while, usually at night she makes this weird noise. Sounds almost like a reverse hiccup...or like a sucking in while makin a noise if that makes since. It last a couple minutes. Tonight my sister was watching her and heard her do it. It alarmed her. An hour later she did it again for only a min once I got her home.

I dont know why but its making me paranoid of S.I.D.S or something. Anyone know what this could be or their LO do it?

waterisntsomething 05-31-2012 11:43 PM

Re: Am I being paranoid?

I think I know what you're talking about. I think its when they don't breathe for a couple seconds (really scary but totally normal) and then gasp in air. It's really common for young babies to take a little while to regulate their breathing.

jjgammon 06-01-2012 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterisntsomething (Post 15181360)
I think I know what you're talking about. I think its when they don't breathe for a couple seconds (really scary but totally normal) and then gasp in air. It's really common for young babies to take a little while to regulate their breathing.

This. They get so deep asleep that they "forget to breathe" of sorts. Apparently I continued to do this every once in a while up until I was about 7, because I remember my grandma waking me up when I did it.

Oddly enough, from a lot of the reading I've done, it seems like co-sleeping is the solution because your baby's subconscious will pick up on your breathing and it will help regulate hers. I know we never had any problems with it and both of mine co-slept with us for at least 2-3 months.

ktmelody 06-01-2012 02:27 AM

If it sounds like a squeek it could be laryngomalacia. It comes in varying degrees from intermittent while sleeping to all day every breath.

My son had it severe, and my 5 month old has it mild.

Try to get it on video (audio) to show to your doc. They can refer you to a pulmo to be sure it is a malacia (there are several like laryngo and tracheo)

It is from an underdeveloped epliglottis. Usually harmless and outgrown by 2. But can be a sign of reflux and other issues.

I think there are some sound samples on you tube.

brayden2020 06-01-2012 09:29 AM

It has only happened while awake. I do semi co-sleep. Else wise she sleeps in a rock n play next to me at arms reach.

Ill def try to record it but its so far and few inbetween and only last a minute.

zandj 06-01-2012 03:29 PM

it could be reflux, DS had a similar thing going on when he was little and was given prevacid

brayden2020 06-01-2012 03:36 PM

Can they have reflux without throwing/spitting up? She only mildly spits up now and then. Usually because hiccups occur...which she has a lot!

zandj 06-01-2012 04:19 PM

DS never threw up, the noise was essentially him catching it in his mouth and swallowing it back down

jamie714 06-01-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brayden2020
Can they have reflux without throwing/spitting up? She only mildly spits up now and then. Usually because hiccups occur...which she has a lot!

I believe reflux without throwing up is called silent reflux. My DDs both had reflux with throwing up but would also make a noise like that without throwing up sometimes.

brayden2020 06-01-2012 08:31 PM

Ill be speaking to my ped soon.:(