Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How old before you let your child........ and why? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401413)

RainandRedemption 06-01-2012 09:25 AM

How old before you let your child........ and why?

We have a park down the street from us, and I have been thinking about when we should let ds go there by himself. We can see the park from ONE window in the house, and it's kinda out of the way to go to that room and look out the window. Not a place I am all the time, so I wouldn't have my eye on his at all times.
I know some of the parent's that way, not very well, but they are nice and they keep their eyes on their kids that are outside. There are also some single people who are usually home and often on their porch or near windows with their eyes on the street...

My son is well behaved, and if I tell him not to go somewhere he will listen.

So in this situation, how old before you would let your child go by themselves? And why, what's your reasoning?

eta~~Dang it. I meant to add a poll

VinhThiMom 06-01-2012 09:52 AM

Re: How old before you let your child........ and why?

Not at their current ages (6 and 5). Maybe around age 10.

Zanne 06-01-2012 10:05 AM

I'm not sure, but my wouldn't let my 5 (almost 6) year old do it for at least a few more years. He listens well too, but I think he's just too young. I just started recently letting him play outside along the front and side yard by himself with our dog watching because he is very protective of DS and would let me know if anything was up.

pcjs 06-01-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinhThiMom (Post 15182742)
Not at their current ages (6 and 5). Maybe around age 10.

This and only with a friend or two.

oregonmom 06-01-2012 10:40 AM

Somewhere between age 8-10.

Almacham 06-01-2012 10:40 AM

I wouldn't let my oldest (5) do it, and obviously not any of my younger ones. I don't know what age that I would let them but I'm a worrier.

Tina5834 06-01-2012 10:42 AM

10 or 11. 5 is too young.

Mac & Cheeses mom 06-01-2012 10:43 AM

My DD is 11 and I still wouldn't and I am the lenient parent.

my2sweets 06-01-2012 10:47 AM

My oldest...probably next yr(at 8). My youngest...not until 10 or with her sister unkess she matured a lot before then.

erin_c_odonnell 06-01-2012 10:48 AM

Yeah like 14 (maybe). But I have trouble with them in the backyard without an adult and it's fenced in a cul de sac.