Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When to move to a toddler bed... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401794)

Hannah Elise 06-02-2012 07:45 AM

When to move to a toddler bed...

So, ds is 14.5 months old, and has a crib that converts to a toddler bed. He sleeps there by himself, sometimes still gets up once at night to nurse (tends to do this mostly when teething, it seems), and was partially co-sleeping til recently (basically, if he woke up between 4-5 I would bring him to bed and he and I would fall asleep for a couple more hours with him nursing) but now that seems to interrupt going back to sleep in the morning rather than help, so I've switched to nursing him in his rocker if he does get up (which seems to happen less and less lately).

Anyway... I am due with #2 in late Dec/early Jan (sono this week to confirm date!) and ds will be 21/22 months by then. I am trying to figure out what to do regarding bassinet/crib/toddler bed. We have a pack-n-play w/ a bassinet insert that I could use for #2 for the beginning (we passed along the bassinet we used for ds once he outgrew it, because it just wasn't a good fit for us), but then I am not sure if I should convert ds' crib to the toddler bed, or just keep it as a crib and get him his own separate toddler bed... and a lot of that is going to hinge on age.

So, what age did you more your LO to a toddler bed? What were your "prerequisites"?

Sent using the DS Forum Android app :)

pcjs 06-02-2012 08:54 AM

Re: When to move to a toddler bed...

I so wish I didn't bother with the toddler bed conversion kit. Skip the toddler bed. I'd wait till about two or when then climb out and get a low twin bed (costco has mattresses that are decent for $150). Ikea has low bed frames for $40 or $90 and then you just need the rails under the mattress for $20. The $40 one is really nice - someone here suggested it and we got it, painted it, added a few more boards to the headboard and its been perfect. Keep baby in PNP or bassinet till you do the transition. My son just took to it right away and it was no big deal but 14 months is a bit young for me. Ikea also has youth beds but I wouldn't bother with them as if you want to lay in bed, the bigger the better. We had our son in a PNP for a few months till we got the crib. It wasn't a big deal.

Sigkap714 06-02-2012 09:12 AM

I didn't do the toddler conversion, but did the daybed conversion on the lowest setting with DS's crib. I coincided the switch with a move, but I'd have switched then anyway. He was mostly sleeping through the night, able to get in and out on his own, and willing to come get me in the morning when he woke up. I did the switch around his 2nd birthday. If I were you, I'd either do it before the new baby comes or wait until your DS has adjusted to having the new baby around. Too many changes in his life may be too much for him to handle.

AngelicasMommy 06-02-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigkap714 (Post 15186994)
I didn't do the toddler conversion, but did the daybed conversion on the lowest setting with DS's crib. I coincided the switch with a move, but I'd have switched then anyway.

Same. Dd was only a few days shy of 15 months, and we were a day or two away from moving into a new apartment when she climbed out of her crib and fell :/ Moved her into the daybed/toddler bed asap. For a few months she would fall asleep on the floor just because she figured out she didn't have to sleep IN the bed. A few times, she would crawl under the bed while she was asleep in the middle of the night, and she would wake up and freak out lol

Sigkap714 06-02-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelicasMommy (Post 15187792)
For a few months she would fall asleep on the floor just because she figured out she didn't have to sleep IN the bed.

He slept on the floor for a good week or two, also. lol But it's seriously only about 3 inches off the ground so he was never able to crawl under.

Hannah Elise 06-02-2012 03:08 PM

Hm. We are hoping to move before #2 comes along, so if we do, maybe I'll try to coincide it with that... esp since putting him in a bed in his current room makes me nervous. Basically, our apartment is a screwy setup, and has, literally, NO closets... so we have two shelving units that support hangers and clothes, on one side of his room... and he goes in and out of there during the day (it's also where our changing table annd rocking chair are, and where I store boxes of "these are outgrown" or "these are future sizes" clothing), but never unattended, as it were, like long nighttime stretches would be, moved into a bed. I guess that's what makes me most nervous... like, him getting out of bed and inadvertently crushing a finger in the gliding rocker, or climbing up onto a box of clothes and pulling clothes down on himself, etc... but there's literally no where else for this stuff. *sigh*

Yep, REALLY need to move before #2 comes along... for other reasons as well, but I guess I can add this to my list. ;)

Sent using the DS Forum Android app :)

EmilytheStrange 06-02-2012 03:09 PM

We moved her over at 19months. No problems with nighttime sleep. We used the conversion kit and I love it. She didn't have to feel weird about a new bed or anything. She just watched us take off the front part and install the rail. Very easy transition.

Her crib also converts to a full size bed, so it ought to last her entire childhood/teenage life.

We do allow her to get out when she's put to bed and play a little, she always puts herself back to bed about 15minutes later. Except for the time that she was so exhausted she fell asleep on the floor :)

pcjs 06-02-2012 04:57 PM

Then baby proof big time if you can move all the stuff out and bolt things to the wall or keep him in the crib. Worst case, get an Ikea or other crib for $100. I was worried about that too but we baby proofed and pulled a lot of stuff out of the room. I still don't have a closet door on but for some reason he never goes in there. I only have plastic hangers just in case.

pcjs 06-02-2012 04:58 PM

Then baby proof big time if you can move all the stuff out and bolt things to the wall or keep him in the crib. Worst case, get an Ikea or other crib for $100. I was worried about that too but we baby proofed and pulled a lot of stuff out of the room. I still don't have a closet door on but for some reason he never goes in there. I only have plastic hangers just in case.

pcjs 06-02-2012 04:58 PM