Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daily Chat Threads (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402156)

Rainfall 06-03-2012 09:27 AM

For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?

WELCOME!

http://dl9.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...nfy8xzi1n4.gif

This will be a monthly thread where we’ll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books you’re reading to your kids, if you’d like.

How to Get Started:
First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL - if you don’t want a goal that’s fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure we’re reading but its not a requirement to join in
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When you’re done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you don’t have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves

And feel free to join in at any time! I've taken lead in starting this month's thread, but if anyone wants to start the new months if I forget - please do!

http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/...hp2w7dxb5w.gif

Rainfall 06-03-2012 09:30 AM

Re: For the love of reading group! ~JUNE~ *Join us!*

So our last thread was in February! Ack, I'm sorry mamas! I was hoping someone would keep it going but I never really checked back. If I disappear again (I'll try not to, promise!) feel free to start the next month's thread for us. Just copy/paste the first post and title and we're good to go. :goodvibes:

So in the last THREE MONTHS (gah!) what have you mamas been reading/loving? Whatcha reading now?

Do you find that you read more in the summer than in the winter? Or is it the opposite?

Rainfall 06-03-2012 09:30 AM

I've been reading a lot of larger books lately, which does nothing for my personal goal to read more books than last year but that's ok. :)

Since March, I've read:
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks (audiobook version is terrible, book format is wonderful - the narrator's fake accent drove me nuts, so I switched)
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - very short read, wonderful epistolary novel between an author and an old bookstore in London
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - first time reading it at 32, can you believe it?! Loved it. :)
Dracula by Bram Stoker - really liked this one, also. I thought it was slow in a few parts, but I love epistolary novels so it didn't bug me too much. :)

I've also been listening to the Harry Potter books on audio. I've listened to the first 3 and am enjoying them! I've never read them but always wanted to, so I'm finally joining the club. LOL!

Currently I'm taking a small HP break and listening to The Help by Kathryn Stockett. LOVING it so far! The narration is perfect.

I'm also reading two great books - A Feast for Crows, the 4th book in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series and also Daughter of the Forest, the 1st book in the Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marillier.

I've heard a LOT of people not satisfied with the FfC book, but I'm enjoying it so far. It is taking a little bit to get used to the new characters and story lines, though. After 4,000+ pages into the series, introducing new complex story lines is a little hard to manage on top of the others, lol. So far so good though. :)

I have so many books on deck, I'm not sure what I'll pick up next. The 3 I'm working on are all fairly large though, so I suspect they'll carry through most of the month.

Oh! And I'm going on VACATION at the end of this month!! A whole week!! 9 days, actually. EEK! We're traveling to south Texas to visit my family and I cannot wait because it's right on the coast. I miss the beach SO MUCH and will be living on it for the full week we're down there. It IS a 24 hour drive, which means it'll take us a full 2 days to get down there and then another 2 days to get back. Hopefully my preggo self can handle it with 2 small kids and a grumpy DH (he wanted to fly but it wasn't in the budget). I'll have to do some smart book packing for the trip and I cannot wait! :)

FormallyMichele 06-03-2012 09:47 AM

I'm going to start reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1608820319

Just One Thing by Rick Hanson

I'm hoping to motivate myself to be more mindful and improve my mood and outlook :). Let me know if anyone is interested in joining me!

Huxley 06-03-2012 09:55 AM

I just starting reading again after having my baby at the end of March. I am reading the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. I'm taking this one super slowly because I am reading it aloud to my daughter.

crystalanne79 06-03-2012 10:01 AM

I finished my re-read of the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series and have started Into the Wilderness mainly because it was highly recommended by fans of The Outlander series but I'm not enjoying it all that much and am 30% in. I didn't start off loving Outlander either though so I'm giving it a good chance.

Rainfall 06-03-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpendergraff (Post 15190643)
I'm going to start reading this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1608820319

Just One Thing by Rick Hanson

I'm hoping to motivate myself to be more mindful and improve my mood and outlook :). Let me know if anyone is interested in joining me!

Hey, that looks like something I'd really like to read! I just checked my library, it had one copy and the status is "lost and paid" so no luck there. :( My paperbackswap site doesn't have it listed, and I can't buy it for my Nook for less than $10. Amazon is still $8 + shipping for a used copy. Ebay is $9.60+ shipping. BOO!!! I'll add it to my paperbackswap wishlist and hopefully someone has it laying around and posts it.

Rainfall 06-03-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huxley (Post 15190689)
I just starting reading again after having my baby at the end of March. I am reading the Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. I'm taking this one super slowly because I am reading it aloud to my daughter.

Congrats on your new little bundle, mama! :wub:

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalanne79 (Post 15190705)
I finished my re-read of the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series and have started Into the Wilderness mainly because it was highly recommended by fans of The Outlander series but I'm not enjoying it all that much and am 30% in. I didn't start off loving Outlander either though so I'm giving it a good chance.

Let me know if you stick with it and like/hate it! I have Into the Wilderness on my short pile for this year and was thinking of starting it before the Outlander series. I've also heard the same thing - not as good as Outlander, but it's what most of the Outlander fans go to after reading the series. :thumbsup: I figure if I started with the Into the Wilderness series, I won't be disappointed in following up with Outlander. LOL!

starsrmndmeofyou 06-03-2012 10:10 AM

I love sci-fi/ fantasy and am currently rereading my faves -

Right now I'm rereading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and then I'll reread The Wise Man's Fear. For my birthday this year DH bought be an autographed copy :lostit:

Ill also probably reread the Sookie Stackhouse books soon so I can read the new one.

Also since the last Wheel of Time book is coming out in Feb. I would like to reread those as well. Hopefully I'll be finished by end of July.

FormallyMichele 06-03-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainfall
I've been reading a lot of larger books lately, which does nothing for my personal goal to read more books than last year but that's ok. :)

Since March, I've read:
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks (audiobook version is terrible, book format is wonderful - the narrator's fake accent drove me nuts, so I switched)
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - very short read, wonderful epistolary novel between an author and an old bookstore in London
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - first time reading it at 32, can you believe it?! Loved it. :)
Dracula by Bram Stoker - really liked this one, also. I thought it was slow in a few parts, but I love epistolary novels so it didn't bug me too much. :)

I've also been listening to the Harry Potter books on audio. I've listened to the first 3 and am enjoying them! I've never read them but always wanted to, so I'm finally joining the club. LOL!

Currently I'm taking a small HP break and listening to The Help by Kathryn Stockett. LOVING it so far! The narration is perfect.

I'm also reading two great books - A Feast for Crows, the 4th book in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series and also Daughter of the Forest, the 1st book in the Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marillier.

I've heard a LOT of people not satisfied with the FfC book, but I'm enjoying it so far. It is taking a little bit to get used to the new characters and story lines, though. After 4,000+ pages into the series, introducing new complex story lines is a little hard to manage on top of the others, lol. So far so good though. :)

I have so many books on deck, I'm not sure what I'll pick up next. The 3 I'm working on are all fairly large though, so I suspect they'll carry through most of the month.

Oh! And I'm going on VACATION at the end of this month!! A whole week!! 9 days, actually. EEK! We're traveling to south Texas to visit my family and I cannot wait because it's right on the coast. I miss the beach SO MUCH and will be living on it for the full week we're down there. It IS a 24 hour drive, which means it'll take us a full 2 days to get down there and then another 2 days to get back. Hopefully my preggo self can handle it with 2 small kids and a grumpy DH (he wanted to fly but it wasn't in the budget). I'll have to do some smart book packing for the trip and I cannot wait! :)

I am on book three Storm of Swords! My husband and I are listening to the audio at night when the kids go to bed.