Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   California (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Oxnard/Ventura anyone? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402481)

AugustHope 06-04-2012 12:18 AM

Oxnard/Ventura anyone?

We will be traveling to the Oxnard/Ventura area at the beginning of August. We will be there for a week. We plan to rent a house as close to the beach as possible and primarily hang out there. What's in the area that might be must see's for a 10 year old boy, 4 year old girl and 2 very "travel inexperienced" parents? We have actively looked and inquired about some houses on the beach as well, but if anyone has some suggestions for those that would amazing as well! And restaurants too!

csdance99 06-09-2012 12:54 AM

Re: Oxnard/Ventura anyone?

I live in Thousand Oaks, Ca (ventura county) and I am originally from Santa Barbara. Here are some great sites for you to check out the calendar while you are here in Ventura.

Ventura Parentclick

also

Conejo Valley Guide

Local favorites for us are an Air Show in Camarillo, Camarillo Outlets, Sky High in Camarillo. Flying kites and getting ice cream at the Ventura Harbor Village (there is a kite store that can even sell you a kite perfect for your 2 yr old, at least my boy loves his). Gull Wings Children's Museum in Oxnard. The Discovery Zone in Thousand Oaks has an ongoing kiosk while they are currently under construction. The TO Mall is a great place for shopping if you want to be in some A/C. There is also miniature Golfing at Gulf and Stuff in Ventura. Not sure, but the Ventura County Fair may also be going on. That is always a fun (yet pricey) place to visit. :)

Our favorite smoothie place is Blenders in the Grass

If you can get some time away just you and hubby, Ventura Comedy Club and Brophy Bro in the Ventura Harbor are pretty awesome places to hang.

So many great parks to visit, in your area specifically visit
Oxnard Beach Park in Oxnard or the Marina Park in Ventura. Both are right next to the beach.

In Ventura there is a public pool and water park that is pretty inexpensive to get into called the Ventura Aquatic Center. Also in Ojai at Lake Casitas there is another awesome water adventure

There is some excellent hiking in Santa Barbara and throughout the Santa Monica Mountains. If anything just go for the day and hang out downtown. On Sunday SB has their Art Walk on the Beach, breakfast at Sambos on Cabrillo Blvd is always nice too.

If you are feeling adventurous and want to head south into Los Angeles, you can't go wrong at the California Science Center and Butterfly Pavillion across from USC, make sure you get your Butterfly Pavillion tickets early to reserve a time during the day. My kids love going there. Or Kids Space Children's Museum in Pasadena. Also my kids love walking down Universal City Walk, especially in the late afternoon early evening. As it gets dark all of their lights go on and they have been having live music from 7-10 i think. Anyway, our kids love it. We usually get dinner and stop for dessert somewhere while we visit. It is always cool to visit Leo Carrillo State Beach at low tide (I think this is actually Ventura County). Leo Carrillo has tons of caves and some excellent tide pools. Gorgeous sunsets too.

I would have posted you more links but the forum keeps rejecting my post. You should be able to Google most of these and they will pop right up.
Happy Travels!!!

csdance99 06-09-2012 12:57 AM

w
w
w
C
o
n
e
j
o
v
a
l
l
e
y
g
u
i
d
e
c
o
m

csdance99 06-09-2012 12:59 AM

V
e
n
t
u
r
a
-
c
a
p
a
r
e
n
t
c
l
i
c
k
c
o
m

AugustHope 07-17-2012 04:48 AM

We moved the trip to September and have rented a place to stay! Now to research on what to do! Whats the weather like in September? The water? Will whales be migrating then? Any other sea life super active during that timeframe? We are bringing our binoculars in hopes of catching a glimpes at some creatures! Whats the best beach for the kids? And whats the best place for a mommy and daddy date night? Our friend has graciously offered to watch the our kiddos one day/night while we are there.

hopetc 07-17-2012 03:43 PM

Fun =)
August and September are typically the hottest months of the year but the weather is still moderate. Oxnard and Ventura are coastal so they will be even more moderate. Mid 80's is a typical high and mid 50's typical low. 90's is hot and 100+ is a heat wave. Water will be as warm as it gets here - takes some getting used to but kids run in no problem. It's really not bad.
Island packers is a company that can take you out whale watching. I'm not sure they ever get close enough to shore to see them. I think dolpins are the most likely sight.
Best beach for the kids...I'll have to think about that.
Date night - what are you looking for and how nice?

AugustHope 07-18-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopetc (Post 15415372)
Fun =)
August and September are typically the hottest months of the year but the weather is still moderate. Oxnard and Ventura are coastal so they will be even more moderate. Mid 80's is a typical high and mid 50's typical low. 90's is hot and 100+ is a heat wave. Water will be as warm as it gets here - takes some getting used to but kids run in no problem. It's really not bad.
Island packers is a company that can take you out whale watching. I'm not sure they ever get close enough to shore to see them. I think dolpins are the most likely sight.
Best beach for the kids...I'll have to think about that.
Date night - what are you looking for and how nice?

I just looked up Island Packers, but am not real sure which whales will be in the area in Septmeber, so I am going to see if I can find that out. I would like the kids to learn a little bit about what we are going to see.

Date night--maybe nice restaraunt, some sight seeing, and back to the beach house. Thinking I should just relax that day:thumbsup:!

Because we have never seen California or the Pacific Ocean, I am sure it won't be hard to find things to "awe" us! Although it has been a hot summer, mid 80's in September sound perfectly pleasant to me! And as far as water temperature goes, not worried about that at all. Wisconsin bodies of water arent very warm ever, but definetly not in March/April when we start using them!

I am so excited to finally have a plan! House booked and waiting on response about airfare. As soon as we have that, I will book a rental car--again another issue---some of our house wants a sporty convertible type and others (the more practical me) wants a nice midsize car. Not sure who will win this battle!

keidlog 09-19-2012 07:30 PM

We lived in Oxnard for 18 months. It's a pretty relaxed place. Very pretty and peaceful when the weather participates. It can get super windy and overcast. Make sure to drive to Ventura and/or Santa Barbara if the weather is acting up (even a 10 mile drive off the coast could make all the difference!). Canoeing on the harbor is nice. Peaceful walks on the beach. There are a few museums on the harbor...not too many "must sees" it's more of a very relaxing place to vacation. Go to Santa barbara for the must sees.

AugustHope 09-20-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keidlog (Post 15705779)
We lived in Oxnard for 18 months. It's a pretty relaxed place. Very pretty and peaceful when the weather participates. It can get super windy and overcast. Make sure to drive to Ventura and/or Santa Barbara if the weather is acting up (even a 10 mile drive off the coast could make all the difference!). Canoeing on the harbor is nice. Peaceful walks on the beach. There are a few museums on the harbor...not too many "must sees" it's more of a very relaxing place to vacation. Go to Santa barbara for the must sees.

We actually arrived back home on Monday of this week. We LOVED it there. Probably the hardest vacation ever to come home from. Relaxation was the idea and that I definitely got! I honestly don't remember the last time I felt so at ease! We may actually take the security deposit we paid for the house and return it right back into the rental for next year!

macmemo 09-21-2012 10:22 AM

Sad I missed this tread! We just moved here (newbury park) thousand oaks area 3 months ago and love it! SO much to do with the kids and it so beautiful here. You really can't beat it!