Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Home birth mamas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402701)

1healthylady 06-04-2012 01:02 PM

Home birth mamas

I'm full of questions today! Did you get thank you gifts for your MWs? Did you have them there and ready at the birth, or gift them at a postpartum visit? I'm totally clueless on what the proper etiquette is in this situation! We of course will have a coffee pot ready for them during the birth, and hopefully cookies and breads cooked up in the week leading up to my due date. Any other foods/snacks that you had on hand for them? I know what I like, just not sure what to provide for others.

Squig'sMumMum 06-04-2012 01:51 PM

Re: Home birth mamas

I gave them each a Christmas card an a bag of homemade candy for Christmas, but I did not get them thank you gifts for after the birth... But I was not exactly happy with mine fully either. They ate a good portion of the food we had just bought (they did not explain previously that we would need to provide food, they only asked me to make sure I had protein and carb rich foods for myself for during labour. We had just grocery shopped before I went into labour and we were screwed on our grocery budget because of that :() And left a mess. They also said they would do a second PP visit a few weeks later and never scheduled it or mentioned it again. And their billing through my insurance has been a MESS with most of it being denied because of them submitting the wrong codes (they resubmitted and STILL got it wrong :banghead:).

Anyway... All that to say it depends on your midwives and relationship with them. Most of the mamas on here had awesome midwives from what I have read, and in their situations I would have baked or made them something to show my appreciation :)

bigmamakelsey 06-04-2012 02:03 PM

I had no idea at the time that I supposed to give a gift to the midwife :blush: I was also a pain in the butt half my labor and I swear no one ate anything for 10 hours..:blush: :blush: Then again, I went into labor 4 weeks early so food and such was not anticipated. We also didn't have a lot of money at the time and had a hard time paying her as it was..gee, wasn't I an awesome patient! :giggle:
I do plan on giving my midwife a small gift and card this time around, probably at the postpartum visit.

umphreysmommy 06-04-2012 03:01 PM

I have them a gift at our last PP visit at 6 weeks. I went a local chocolate shop and got them each a small gift basket of fresh, locally made chocolates. I loved my midwives so much and we truly became friends by the end and I was sad to part ways. They started up a moms group at their office so we will still see them but I really wanted to show my appreciation. They went above and beyond.

mammacandoit 06-06-2012 12:09 PM

I never even thought of it. Isn't that aweful? I send Christmas cards and I have always had her make herself at home in my home....