Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   (CIO) Cry It Out = Compassion Intentionally Obscured (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1402960)

el's mama 06-05-2012 03:37 AM

(CIO) Cry It Out = Compassion Intentionally Obscured

I saw this on facebook and want to share it here.http://totscafe.wordpress.com/2012/0...ally-obscured/

2+2macht4 06-05-2012 04:44 AM

Re: (CIO) Cry It Out = Compassion Intentionally Obscured

To each their own I say.

Need not be your thing, but no one should be made to feel like less of a parent.

I think there are just as many misnomers about CIO as there are about attachment parenting.

AnimalHouse 06-05-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenajean1
To each their own I say.

Need not be your thing, but no one should be made to feel like less of a parent.

I think there are just as many misnomers about CIO as there are about attachment parenting.

:werd:

babylove921 06-05-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenajean1
To each their own I say.

Agreed!

dancermommy1 06-05-2012 07:51 AM

I rather liked the link, myself, though I know many wonderful moms who love their children deeply and passionately who have used CIO. As with most things, it's less a black-and-white topic than various shades of gray.

BottomOfMyHearts 06-05-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenajean1 (Post 15199283)
To each their own I say.

Thank you.

I've done both. My first daughter was a good CIO candidate. Not only was it not "horrifying" or "neglectful" it actually improved her health and mental well being. (From getting more sleep rather than less.)

My second daughter is NOT a candidate and I co-sleep with her and will likely do so for the foreseeable future.

Not all children are wired the same way and not all parents are wired the same way.

Jen's_4 06-05-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenajean1 (Post 15199283)
To each their own I say.

Yep! CIO may not be for every family or even every child in a particular family. That doesn't mean that anyone should try to make those who use it feel like unloving parents.

syfitz 06-05-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewFoundFaith (Post 15199760)
Thank you.

I've done both. My first daughter was a good CIO candidate. Not only was it not "horrifying" or "neglectful" it actually improved her health and mental well being. (From getting more sleep rather than less.)

My second daughter is NOT a candidate and I co-sleep with her and will likely do so for the foreseeable future.

Not all children are wired the same way and not all parents are wired the same way.

Yep. Same here. I had children that needed that little bit of crying to settle and slept much better that way, and others that slept better having me close all night.

Melinda29 06-05-2012 08:35 AM

My 6-month-old will ONLY fall asleep crying. Catch her when she she's tired, lay her down wide awake, nurse her sleep, rocking, holding, cuddling, in the swing, laying her in a dark quiet room, in the car, in a sling, does not matter, she essentially CIO to sleep every freaking nap and almost every night for bed. She is my fourth child and the older three did NOT do this. We had our typical ups and downs with sleep, but my youngest just does this.

It does not make me uncompassionate. If I could do anything at all to change it, I would (and believe me, I have tried!). So I have essentially "given in" and when she just starts acting tired, I lay her in the crib, close the door, and walk away. She CIO four times a day, every day (3 naps and bedtime). When I try anything else, including holding and nursing her, she screams and becomes hysterical. This has been going on for probably two months. She is otherwise happy, loving, and totally healthy. People comment all the time what a cute, happy baby she is. This is just how she goes to sleep. I believe in following my baby's cues, and believe me, I never expected CIO to be something "normal" for a baby, but it is for her!

mibarra 06-05-2012 08:42 AM

I just wish they would call it something else. I think there are plenty of people neglecting their children and calling it CIO when it's not. Letting a 3 month old scream their head off for 3 hours because you think they shouldn't need to eat for 12 hours while you sleep is NOT CIO...but many people just hear the term and assume it means let a baby scream themselves out for hours on end instead of meeting their needs ....