Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   best bottle for EBM? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1403315)

SomeThing 06-05-2012 06:04 PM

best bottle for EBM?

I've been pumping for a while to build up my stash and now we're starting to give LO EBM once a day. So far we've been using the collection bottles that come with the Medela pump and LO likes them well enough. We need to get a few more bottles and I figure they may as well be "real" bottles, but which brand to get?

LO is not at all picky with pacifiers so I'm hoping that bottles will also be easy to get used to. Which brand do you like and why?

isaacsmum 06-05-2012 06:37 PM

Re: best bottle for EBM?

Honestly, why switch if the Medela ones are working? I had a hard time finding bottles my son would take, but my daughter takes the Medela ones, so we're still using them at 9 months. They're really convenient because I just pump into the bottles and then put them in the fridge until we're ready to use them.

keen1981 06-05-2012 06:41 PM

The best bottle is what the baby will take. Most every brand has a very slow flow nipples you keep that's always

FernHollow 06-05-2012 06:53 PM

If the Medela works, don't worry about finding something else. I think that they are interchangable with Gerber (or at least they used to be) if you need more that are that style. My kids have all been super picky about bottles and would only take Playtex Natural Latch nipples, which unfortunately only work with their stupid disposable liners (I hate those liners!). My 9mo has had no problem going back and forth from nursing to the Playtex bottles since he was tiny.

AHeartLikeMine 06-10-2012 02:48 AM

The Gerber bottles are cheap, and the tops are interchangeable with the Medela bottles. I used a Gerber bottle to introduce my son at 11 days - he is 6 weeks old and still does not have any issues with latch or nipple confusion.

Wanderlust 06-12-2012 05:11 AM

We went through the same issue. I thought I had to use one of those expensive bottles that reduces gas, etc. But my guys always preferred the Medela ones. I gave up and stuck with them :) I like them because I could pump in to them and store them and they were easy to clean and sanitize

keen1981 06-12-2012 07:25 AM

Whatever is best for your baby. There really isn't a universal bottle for all ebf lo's.

karissagipson 06-13-2012 08:59 PM

I heard the tommee tippee ones are supposed to be pretty good.

peach0121 06-14-2012 10:37 AM

We use Dr. Brown and that seems to work pretty well. But it has a lot of parts so not the most convenient. It does seem to help with gas though.

Another bottle that a lactation consultant recommended to us is the Breastflow by First Years. It's supposed to emulate the breast and requires baby to work harder to get the milk (as opposed to regular bottles).

mom2corag 06-19-2012 08:38 AM

We used the breastflow bottles when my dd first started taking bottles, but stopped because there were so many pieces to get lined up just right. For us, the avent bottles are great - and I can pump into them with the adaptor for my medela pump and I got an avent pump so that there are fewer pieces.