Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Gulping down formula, HELP (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1404000)

blueone 06-07-2012 11:45 AM

Gulping down formula, HELP

DD eats really fast and it causes gasand spit up for her. She did this on the breat when we were bfing for a bit. When we switched to formula i used the drop ins and she did that with the lowst flow and the air pretty much pushed out. She was spitting up a lot with each feed so we tried dr. Browns briefly but those were too fast and now we are using born free. The spit up has reduced a lot, but she still gulps it down rather fast. Any tips? She was so gassy last night after gulping down everything and spit up a lot too after not doing that for several days. I take the bottle out to burp multiple times. She is on nutramigen too. She does have reflux issues.

pcjs 06-07-2012 12:56 PM

Re: Gulping down formula, HELP

You can buy different sized nipples - I'd go to the absolute slowest - you may need to order online. Also, feed, stop and burp, feed, stop and burp, repeat.

abunchoflemons 06-07-2012 01:21 PM

Just hold up & put hand behind back & press little. No jiggle, lap & face toward floor or shoulder. Try different formula? Could be that not bottles. Both mine gulp but I could get milk to stay down. Put in carseat or bouncer.....

blueone 06-07-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcjs (Post 15212287)
You can buy different sized nipples - I'd go to the absolute slowest - you may need to order online. Also, feed, stop and burp, feed, stop and burp, repeat.

So they should have really slow ones online? I'll have to check. Born Free are the best option so far in regards to spit up, but I heard Dr. Browns makes a preemie flow. But yeah...she gulps it down like she's a starved baby and we don't wait that long to feed her either. At the first cue we make a bottle. The only time she doesn't eat like that is at night when she's half asleep.

Does anyone know what other brands of nipples work with Born Free?

mms1972 06-07-2012 01:57 PM

I had to use the Dr Brown premie nipples with my 4 month old for the first couple months! Loved them! They pretty much fit any standard bottle. I had to order them online.

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum

png_lovebirds 06-07-2012 02:05 PM

The slowest nipple we found(and we tried TONS of bottles!!) was the Avent Sz 1!

blueone 06-07-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by png_lovebirds (Post 15212651)
The slowest nipple we found(and we tried TONS of bottles!!) was the Avent Sz 1!

Do you think the nipple would fit in Born Free bottles? I really don't want to go out and buy more again.

That said, I compared the flow of Born Free to the Playtex we have and the Born Free was dripping at a fast speed. Playtex didn't drip at all. So we are back on Playtex Drop Ins. I'd rather have a baby that's really hard to burp and spits up some at each meal than one that spits up a ton a couple days later. It was like a spit up fest last night.

pcjs 06-07-2012 04:29 PM

The matching bottle is better. Try mylicon for gas.

Rdesonia 06-07-2012 09:09 PM

I would try burping EVERY 2oz. Don't wait till the bottle is finished to burp.

Mac & Cheeses mom 06-07-2012 09:26 PM

If you have the right bottle, not all kids need to burp. DD2 never burped. I would try, but nothing would happen. They only need to burp if they gulp air or there is a gas bubble kwim? If she is still gassy you might want to think about lactose issues. Both my DD's were gassy from it.