Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Mesa, AZ anyone?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1404998)

danimdel 06-09-2012 07:07 PM

Mesa, AZ anyone??

Hi mamas! I am currently in Cleveland, OH, but DH is flying out to Scottsdale next week for an interview. There are only 2 applicants left so there is a good possibility that we will be making a move soon. Scary and exciting!!! We were thinking of looking to live in Mesa and I just wanted opinions or ideas of other places around there we should look into. We have a 2 and 4 year old now and really want to be in an area that has a lot to offer for young families. I would really appreciate any input! Thanks ladies!

danimdel 06-11-2012 09:03 AM

Anyone??

mypeanut09 06-12-2012 08:27 PM

Re: Mesa, AZ anyone??

I live in Glendale (west valley) but just wanted to say welcome! I know there are a lot of gated communities with private parks in the valley and quite a few public parks that are shaded. I would just recommend living somewhere with a pool thats free to access. You'll want it with the heat down here! (I'm originally from Wisconsin) I'm pretty sure there are a handful of people on here that live in Mesa, so hopefully someone will answer some questions for you soon.

danimdel 06-15-2012 03:33 PM

Thank you so much for responding! DH is there today interviewing and we should know next week. They suggested other areas that would be a closer commute. We shall have to wait and see!

Hi-Dog 06-16-2012 07:43 PM

I used to live in Mesa, but now live in Glendale. I can tell you that short of indoor stuff like swimming classes and YMCA, there isn't a lot for kids to do in the summer other than stay inside and try not to roast. It's ridiculously hot here. Ugh, going on 6 years in AZ and still not used to it. Winters are great though, there are two zoos in the valley and lots of parks. Also, there is a nice cloth diapering store in Scottsdale called Zoolikins!

mypeanut09 06-16-2012 11:11 PM

The botanical gardens are pretty neat too!

Samandy 06-16-2012 11:19 PM

The East Valley is pretty spread out. There is a ton of stuff to do. Actually downtown there are 3 different museums you can get into for free on the 1st Sunday of the month! I have lived here for 22 years and I still find places I never knew about. Once you get here if you go to a children's museum or Whole foods (I think) you can find The Active Moms newsletter that tells you about places and events going on.

danimdel 06-16-2012 11:42 PM

Thanks, great info! DH's final interview was Friday so hopefully we will hear this week. They actually did not recommend Mesa because it is a long drive from where the office is in Scottsdale...didn't look so far on a map! They recommended looking in the Northern part of Pheonix near Desert trails elementary on the map. I am in Ohio now and we end up being stuck inside so much during the winter so I figure if the heat keeps us in during the summer it can't be much different than being stuck inside during the winter here. My kids aren't in school yet though so I'm sure it is worse to be stuck in for summers when they are on break.

I actually already looked up cloth diaper stores already...you know the important stuff when relocating :giggle: Funny because I don't have anybody in diapers right now!

Samandy...thanks for the newsletter name! We stay pretty busy here so I know I'll be looking for stuff to do. It's not even for sure yet, but I'm already nervous about getting out and making friends.

mypeanut09 06-17-2012 02:15 PM

Macaroni Kid also has local newsletters for moms with Kid Friendly events going on. There are different versions depending on which part of the city you live in.

Sarah-B 06-24-2012 12:29 AM

So did you DH get the job? I grew up in Mesa but now live in chandler (2 miles from Mesa)
It only takes me about 10-15 mins to get to Scottsdale. Not sure exactly where in Scottsdale this job is but it probably isn't that far.

Dobson Ranch is the HOA my mom still lives in and I grew up in. There is a lot to do in an hoa that has 5,000 homes, 3 pools, a splash pad, preschool and a lake with trails. 4 parks too. Since there are so many homes in that hoa the fees are very minimal to have access to all that.

Good luck on the job hunt wherever it takes u :D