Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Tell me about delayed cord cutting (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1405048)

jesslfar 06-09-2012 09:02 PM

Tell me about delayed cord cutting

I've been reading up on delaying cord cutting. For those of you who did it, why did you choose it and how long after birth was it cut? I didn't know it existed with DD and she had a low agpar and had to be rushed away briefly so it was not an option.

NikiG 06-09-2012 09:08 PM

It's standard policy at my hospital and they waited about 2 minutes, after the cord stopped pulsing.

Wow. Right now I can't remember the exact medical benefits because I have a 3 month old and my brain is mush, but a google search will help ya on that. Basically the extra blood baby gets help to increase blood volume which helps regulate temperature and settles iron levels, reduces anemia, etc...

NikiG 06-09-2012 09:10 PM

Oh and it's delayed cord CLAMPING. As soon as they clamp it stops the flow of blood, which is what you want.

trying4more 06-10-2012 11:46 AM

Re: Tell me about delayed cord cutting

There are a lot of benefits to delayed clamping! It allows all the blood from the placenta to rush to the baby while baby is still adjusting to the outside world. I was more worried about my baby getting allllll the oxygen she could from me still while learning to breath on the outside. Sometimes the valve doesn't close right away, and that's when babies struggle and need help, which means more than likely being taken off mom's chest, so as long as the cord is still pulsing, baby is still getting everything from mama.

We didn't clamp the cord until her cord stopped pulsating for 1 minute. the cord was WHITE. Depending on where you deliver, you might have to REALLY push them to NOT cut the cord until YOU say so!

My last 2 deliveries I had to almost threaten them to not clamp the cord.

erkelly 06-10-2012 03:14 PM

We did not get to delay the clamping, but I really wanted to and it was in my birth plan. Basically, I had a very precipitous birth on a weekend where my OB was out of town. So I had the on call doctor, and I only met him as he came in the room the same time my body was pushing my son out. As soon as he came out, I yelled to not clamp the cord. He said "that's against hospital policy" (which it is NOT) and he clamped. I was furious. This next time around, if it's a similar situation, I will instruct my husband to repeatedly tell the doctor our wishes before my daughter even comes out.

I wanted to delay the clamping so the baby can receive every last drop of goodness from the placenta. There's so many benefits that I don't know about. But I know it's good, so that's why I want it lol

kismetbaby 06-11-2012 10:03 PM

Yes, did it with both my babies due for all the reasons stated already. First was a homebirth and it was just normal practice for my MW. Waited probably 30min to clamp it. Second was a hospital birth, but they agreed to delay. . .not as long as I'd have preferred, I don't know how long it was maybe 20min, but I was glad they let me wait at all.

OnAnnaTime 06-11-2012 10:18 PM

We waited with our newest baby. I thought it would take a while, but it was seriously just a couple minutes before it stopped and the placenta was expelled. We were prepared to wait a while though, delayed clamping is standard at the birth center I use.

One of the benefits I've read is lower rate of jaundice and this was true for us. DD2 didn't have a bit of jaundice at all.

huntmommy 06-13-2012 12:52 PM

The already mentioned items are all great feasons to delay clamping and like some of the other mommas I want to reiterate "delay clamping." If you say cutting, they will clamp away right away. It is also important to make sure hubby is on it because if he forgets to say anything it may just happen.

Our first was clamped right away because my husband was responsible for that part and he forgot. She was terribly healthy and awesome but was anemic at 9mo and 12 mo like breastfed babies can often be when the cord is clamped early. Look at it this way. For roughly 9 months, the placenta is operating with everything the baby needs. It is truly one of the most amazing organs. At birth, the placenta transfers the baby's initial blood supply to it with all the goodness it has stored, made, etc. When you stop this process short, the baby does not get all of that and things like iron deficiency are very likley. The American Academy of Pediatrics says that you should wait until the cord stops pulsing and lies flat. Why the OBs are not on board is a mystery and a point of contention for many pediatricians.

The pulsing stops anywhere between 5 minutes and delivery of the placenta. Most homebirth midwives do not even think about clamping until the placenta comes but that is harder to sell at a hospital.

Other things to consider, be specific about what you mean by "wait." I had one student tell me that her OB said, "I can certainly delay the clamping for about 60 seconds." Another good tactic is to be sure to specify that baby be placed directly on your chest after birth. If they are not taking the baby away, and the baby is roughly level with the placenta, there is no reason to clamp or cut right away. If they say the cord is too short (rare), the baby can lay on your abdomen.

Good luck!

joyous 06-14-2012 09:45 PM

We waited to clamp the cord for the reasons other posters have mentioned. I wanted to make sure DD got all the blood from the placenta. My hospital was small and very understanding of natural birth, so they didn't push it at all. I think about half an hour passed before the cord was clamped.

isaacsmum 06-14-2012 09:58 PM

Check this out: http://academicobgyn.com/2011/01/30/...-grand-rounds/

The benefits are small, but certainly there. So if all else is going well, it's great to do delayed cord clamping. That's also standard at the hospital where I delivered both of my babies. Note though that the benefits are apparently gained after a few minutes for the majority of the studies - using delays of 30sec up to a few minutes - there doesn't appear to be a benefit to a long delay. Also note that the baby needs to be kept low so that blood doesn't rush back to the placenta. Remember that the pulsing seen in the cord is baby's.