Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   New to pumping! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1405244)

CutiePatootiesMama 06-10-2012 02:08 PM

New to pumping!

When I had my first daughter I did not think about pumping until she was already a couple of months old (I think) and by that time I had a hard time getting any extra milk. Most times that I pumped I would only get an ounce at best. It was fine for a while, but by the time she was 7 months old I was having to miss appointments and stuff because I couldn't leave her at all. Now my second daughter is 2.5 weeks old and I'd like to be able to pump enough to have some milk stored just incase. I started pumping about a week ago just to relieve some engorgement and am now able to get 2-3oz per pumping session (not a lot to some but a really big deal to me since I had a hard time getting even an ounce with dd1.) I'm only pumping once every couple of days.

So, what is a good pumping schedule for me to be able to store a little bit of milk?

Also- I am storing the milk in baby food trays (like ice cube trays)- should I take them out and just put them in ziploc bags? Do I need to seperate them by each pumping session? Or any better suggestions for storage? I'm just working with a pretty much nonexistent budget so I'm trying to use stuff I already have.

Just wanted to add that I don't have any plans to introduce a bottle any time soon. I'm just trying to think ahead. :)

kierstenw 06-11-2012 11:45 AM

Re: New to pumping!

*bumping* Because I want to know, too! :D

Laylas_Mom 06-11-2012 07:57 PM

I don't know about a pumping schedule as I exclusively pumped so hopefully an EBF mama can help you with that.

As far as storage, those trays are great. They usually are one ounce portions or close to so they are super easy. Just pull out 3 for 3 ounces, 4 for 4 and so on. Much better than breast milk storage bags. You should remove the cubes and put in ziploc freezer bags labeled with the day you pumped them. If they are in your freezer within a refrigerator, the recommended keep time is 3-6 months. I would suggest turning your freezer down to the coldest setting for best keeping. If in a deep freeze, you can use up to 12 months later.

Hope that helps mama!

karissagipson 06-13-2012 09:00 PM

Pumping is rough work!

abunchoflemons 06-13-2012 11:20 PM

Ididnt have mucch luck first time. I ran out of milk cuz supply not there....I had awesome time second time around & i did every 2 hrs & if she missed feedings. If not eat of one breast I pumped that.
I pumped 4 at least 15nmins or more onboth sides with my double pump.
It says to not mix pumpings so I would separate because if old goes bad it takes new that not bad with it. Epecially if u donate estra later.
I used heat packs b4 pumping & took vitamins & that seemed to help plus massaging & my baby kicked my other boob in nursing with her. Foot. Patience & try to keep stress down I think was a diff too

abunchoflemons 06-13-2012 11:20 PM

Ididnt have mucch luck first time. I ran out of milk cuz supply not there....I had awesome time second time around & i did every 2 hrs & if she missed feedings. If not eat of one breast I pumped that.
I pumped 4 at least 15nmins or more onboth sides with my double pump.
It says to not mix pumpings so I would separate because if old goes bad it takes new that not bad with it. Epecially if u donate estra later.
I used heat packs b4 pumping & took vitamins & that seemed to help plus massaging & my baby kicked my other boob in nursing with her. Foot. Patience & try to keep stress down I think was a diff too

peach0121 06-14-2012 10:20 AM

If you're just trying to build up a "just in case" supply, I would just pump in the morning after a feed. Pump for 15 mins on both sides.

I'm pumping to build a stash for when I return to work so I pump more than that now but when I first started, I pumped 2x a day. Once in morning and once at night or afternoon.

peach0121 06-14-2012 10:20 AM

If you're just trying to build up a "just in case" supply, I would just pump in the morning after a feed. Pump for 15 mins on both sides.

I'm pumping to build a stash for when I return to work so I pump more than that now but when I first started, I pumped 2x a day. Once in morning and once at night or afternoon.