Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Jan (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Do any of you homeschool? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1405497)

Tiny Trousers 06-11-2012 09:34 AM

Do any of you homeschool?

What are your plans once the new baby comes? My son will be 4 in August, and we did relaxed schooling last year. Just curious as to what others in a similar situation might do :)

gueyclan 06-11-2012 01:39 PM

I'm a homeschooler. When the baby is born I will be schooling a 6th, 4th, 2nd and kindergartner. I usually plan a least a 2 week to a month long break after the baby into my school schedule. I will probably start my school year early this year to give us a head start. But I have a mandatory 180 days to get in. With kindergarten it is much more relaxed. I would just get in the school while baby is sleeping. It actually isn't too hard when they are first born. I've found it's when they get older and start getting into things that it becomes more of a juggling act.

apurkeyp 06-11-2012 02:19 PM

Re: Do any of you homeschool?

I do. I will be doing first grade this fall. I plan to start in early August and take a month off when the baby comes.

Tiny Trousers 06-11-2012 07:49 PM

We will be doing kindergarten, and I was thinking of starting a bit early so we could take a few weeks for Christmas business and then take Feb off. I am hoping to get him reading before the baby comes, that way I feel like the most important objective was accomplished. I guess planning ahead is key.

Green Decals 06-12-2012 05:30 PM

I will be homeschooling starting this fall. DS1 went to pre-k last year, but we are done with public school. I think learning, especially in the early years, happens naturally, and we have always followed his lead. He will be 6 when this baby arrives, and my younger one will be 3, so "school" will happen when it happens - I predict a lot of science in the near future LOL. We homebirth and our older ones are very much a part of the process, including the birth itself. Don't sweat it, all of the homeschooling moms I know have taken huge breaks when babies arrive, and their kids didn't need to "stay back a grade" as a result. :-)

flame_chick 06-13-2012 01:34 PM

I'm nervous BUT excited to start homeschooling. I decided to homeschool before I found out I was preggo, and sticking to my plans. My 2 daughters just finished Kinder (Val) and 1st (Veronica) in public school, so I will be working more on teaching Val to read, and Veronica reading better vocab etc. I am still researching curriculum, and havent decided yet, but this summer we are supposed to start with some siple workbooks to get them used to being schooled at home, I hear theres an "unschooling" period where the kids need to get used to mom or dad teaching and not a school, which applies only if theyve been in pub school.
I orignally planned to homeschool from day 1, but DH was not supportive, now that hes seen them in pub school he is very supportive of me homeschooling.
I dunno what to do for sure when baby comes, but I already have to work around Vin who is 18mo, and will be 2 when new baby gets here, so I want something that doesnt need me to be on it the whole time, to take breaks for feeding, naps, diaper changes etc. just kinda take it as it comes, and was thinking I'd try and take a a couple weeks off when baby gets here, it will be around christmas anyway.

gueyclan 06-13-2012 06:04 PM

My oldest attended school for Kinder and 1 st. He breezed right into homeschooling when we started in 2nd. No unschooling needed. Kindergarten is the most hands on for the teacher. In my opinion. But I think how much time you will spend depends a lot on the student. Some of my kids work very well independently, with little instruction needed on new material. Other kids need me right there for every task.

Tiny Trousers 06-14-2012 09:09 AM

I saw this handy organization recommendation where you put weekly lessons into a file folder or individual regular folders. Do you do something like this?
http://www.homeschoolcreations.net/2...ool-paperwork/

flame_chick 06-14-2012 10:25 AM

I think that the only way to tell if something will work for you is to actually start doing it, and try it out. I've spent hours looking at curriculum, and tons of mom HS websites, and I know I just have to START something, and then it will be easier to figure it out... I'm waiting for my girls to get back in town they went to TN with my family to stay, so all my summer learning has been put on hold

mrsgrantis 06-22-2012 10:17 PM

we have just started homeschooling our 4yo - we don't plan to run it as a sept - june sort of thing - we just do it when she feels like it - still working out some aspects of curriculm but really just following her lead right now
we will probably take a break right after baby if she lets us, lol she has been asking to do "school" daily