Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Dec (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   Would you permit the throwing of a second baby shower? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1405628)

keonli 06-11-2012 12:32 PM

Would you permit the throwing of a second baby shower?

My sisters are offering to throw me a baby shower. This is baby no. 2 but there's almost a 6 year gap between our children (DS will be 5.5 when this peanut arrives). My first baby shower was a horrible disaster and it involved pleasing the guests more than me, so my older sister (who couldn't attend because she was living across the country), is pushing for me to have a second shower to make up for that.

I've been to showers thrown for second babies, and a few for thirds, even!

DH and I feel like we don't really need anything new (we'll co sleep -no nursery, we'll CD - no need for tons of sposies and wipes, I already have a Medela pump, and we can afford our own carseats, clothes, etc.) so we think it isn't exactly necessary.

Would you consent or do you consider a second shower tacky/taboo?

my2sweets 06-11-2012 01:06 PM

There was only 2yrs 3mos b/t my girls and a friend really wanted to throw a 'sprinkle'. We had clothes, carseat, ect from dd1 but our friends where still excited. They did bring gifts but most were hand me downs or a sweet blanket they found or some baby books ect. but it was mostly just hanging out, getting good food, letting the other kids play and the like....more of a bbq get together with a couple gifts thrown in lol There will be over 5yrs b/t dd2 and the baby and if ppl want to get to together to celebrate a new life Im all for it :)

christina2babyboys 06-11-2012 01:08 PM

Re: Would you permit the throwing of a second baby shower?

NO. Go for it girl!! My friends threw me a shower for #4!! LOL It was awesome!

kelpie169 06-11-2012 01:21 PM

If you really feel strongly that you don't need anything, but your sister really wants to correct the "injustice" of your lat baby shower, maybe you can compromise. Have a baby shower, but have guests bring gifts to donate to a local children's shelter or food for a homeless shelter. Somethin like that. That way, she era to throw the shower a d have food and games-you still get to celebrate your new baby-and you can feel good about doing something for others. Just an idea.

AniMommy 06-11-2012 01:25 PM

I say go for it, but I agree that you could ask that in lieu of gifts for your already blessed little one, that people give diapers to a women's shelter, etc. That way people know you just want to have a nice party and not a "gift collection drive."

People will probably still bring you stuff anyway (I know I would) but I would probably try to find something more personal rather than a 5 pack of NB onesies.

qsefthuko 06-11-2012 01:27 PM

I say go for it. If you truly don't need anything you can do as the pp mentioned. Tell everyone to bring something to donate to the local womens shelter.

angel nee nee 06-11-2012 01:36 PM

OK If you don't want one, let her know that she can throw a shower for my baby #4.

I have three kids and one on the way and someone threw a shower for my #2. Not for#1 or #3. haha. :D I don't think it really matters. :)

If you want one, go for it, if you don't, then do let her know it's not necessary. If your sister still wants to have a party, maybe you can let her know your wish like you want it to be a very small party and none of the guests have to bring presents, etc. Whatever you want. :)

jessicap 06-11-2012 02:19 PM

I just had a shower a few weeks ago. It is for our 6th babe. It was our second shower. Our oldest child is 8 and our youngest is 3...I felt like it was going to be viewed as being tacky, but this is our first babe that will be born while we attend the new church we are at and the ladies wanted to give us a shower.

There is little for us that we needed and I considered not doing one. But I am glad that we did. Not only did it allow us to get a few items that I wouldn't have paid for myself because they are "frivolous" (think automatic battery operated nose sucker) and new nursing bras...we don't use cloth wipes, we were blessed with a ton of disposable wipes. Tons of cute outfits and hair bows for our impending girl. There was a fabulous first aid kit that we got as well, and some of the bigger items for babe are more compact than what they were 8 years ago, so like the bath tub we got, is going to be nice because we live in a small home with little storage space, but the bath tub we got is super tiny compared the big one that I had when my oldest was born.

But the biggest pay off of all of this was not the gifts. It was people coming to celebrate the impending birth of our ShelbyJoy. After having a couple of kids we have become accustomed to people reacting negatively to our choice to have more, and it was nice to have that reaction of a TON of women getting together and getting excited over a new baby girl coming, and squealing over new outfits, pink rattles and the thought of how fun she is going to be over the years. It was nice because not only was my family incredibly blessed, but the women who all came were incredibly blessed as well. I am so grateful that I got over the whole this may be tacky thought, because otherwise, the companionship, blessings and friendships would not have been foraged that day. :)

misskira 06-11-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keonli (Post 15231814)
My sisters are offering to throw me a baby shower. This is baby no. 2 but there's almost a 6 year gap between our children (DS will be 5.5 when this peanut arrives). My first baby shower was a horrible disaster and it involved pleasing the guests more than me, so my older sister (who couldn't attend because she was living across the country), is pushing for me to have a second shower to make up for that.

I've been to showers thrown for second babies, and a few for thirds, even!

DH and I feel like we don't really need anything new (we'll co sleep -no nursery, we'll CD - no need for tons of sposies and wipes, I already have a Medela pump, and we can afford our own carseats, clothes, etc.) so we think it isn't exactly necessary.

Would you consent or do you consider a second shower tacky/taboo?

Ddc... If you don't need another shower... What about just a party to celebrate? Sounds more fun to me anyways. I wouldn't think bad of you having another shower if I were a guest, but seems silly if you don't need it. My boys are close together and people were super generous with my first, so I refused a second.

CM6755 06-11-2012 03:00 PM

We are contemplating this very situation...DS will be 4 when the new baby is born, I still have a ton of his stuff. I do not want to find out the sex of the new baby so I instead of a shower or sprinkle (LOL) I am thinking of doing what Texans call a 'Sip n See' where you just invite ppl to come and sip some beverages and see the baby...HTH!!!

PS It's not tacky to have more than one shower...I don't know why people say that, after all I want to celebrate the arrival of this LO as much as the 1st...that is really what a shower is about...or should be at least!!!