Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bento? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1405889)

babynme8 06-11-2012 09:11 PM

Bento?

Do anyone make bento lunches for their kids? I've been looking into it but I live in a very rural area and can find stuff. I found this site http://www.daisojapan.com/c-407-obento.aspx but everything is bulk. Anyone wanna share an order? Or know of some other good sites or ideas to find supplies?

Cashmama 06-11-2012 10:17 PM

Re: Bento?

Hey mama! I just got back from teaching in Japan with my family, and while we were there, we did use bento boxes from Daiso--very cheaply made and did not last! It's a dollar store, so you kind of pay for what you get.
I have heard great things about Easy Lunchboxes--they are not as cute as some bento boxes, but they seem to work better and last longer. Etsy has some cute bento accessories! Good luck--it's so fun, but I have no idea what to put in the American bentos I make now. My kids just beg for rice balls, which I'm sick of!

babynme8 06-11-2012 10:49 PM

Oh thats a shame to hear I'm mainly wanting the accesories like the cutters and little picks but I do love the strawberry set they have. I'm leaning toward goodbyns but my son has a friend that is from Japan and he wants the "Real" stuff.

cacasey1981 06-11-2012 10:55 PM

There is a blog called "another lunch" - she doesn't post much anymore but she links to the sites that she bought the boxes/tools from on most of her posts.

She also has some good how-tos

Nandis 06-12-2012 05:44 PM

you can also look at jbox.com, they're a company based in both Japan and San Diego that does imports and offers tons of bento stuff. I've ordered from them before- good customer service and reasonable shipping time- even if you have to wait for it to arrive from Japan. I set the link to their bento stuff, but just be aware that if you go exploring the rest of the site that they also offer some "H" (In Japan they use H the way Americans would think of X-rated) stuff as well. Mostly that's confined to their jlist website, but there's pg-13 stuff on their jbox site, just so that you know.

I never really thought about it before, but I'm feeling pretty lucky that San Francisco has a high Japanese population. We have actual Daiso stores and Ichiban Kan stores (a different Japanese dollar store that I actually like better) in the area. I used to make my kids bentos every day and was always trying new stuff from there. I will agree with the pp that said that their stuff is cheap. It is. But sometimes, that's all you need. I once bought egg shapers only to learn that my kids don't really like boiled eggs in their lunch. So, I was glad I had only spent a couple of dollars. I paid $1 for a set of 3 disposable bento boxes which came with napkins and chopsticks- great for field trips. I also got a pack of 50 silver food preserver things (the silver kills germs and keeps stuff fresh at room temp) for $1. And all the cute paper stuff like the little cupcake liner looking cups and the sushi grass and stuff? Super cute and best when cheap cos it's mostly for looks anyway. So, cheap doesn't always have to be bad. Still, jbox has nice stuff that's not disposable. I bought bentos from them that were used daily for years and still looked and worked great- so great in fact, they were stolen from the lunch room. :( There used to be a bunch of bento stores on ebay, too, but I'm not seeing my old faves there any more. I'm sure if you just did a search for bento, you'd come up with a ton of auctions.

I hope you can find something your son likes and that will be functional for him. Remember, too that Japanese serving sizes are smaller than American sizes and depending on how old your kid is/what he likes to eat, a real bento may seem a bit on the small side. Good luck!

babynme8 06-13-2012 07:48 PM

Thank you so much for all the links. My mom is in Columbus OH for a short trip and I had her track down a Japenese store and she was able to pick me up a few things so it's start.

yarrowwind 06-14-2012 12:35 AM

You want the sectioned boxes or...? Go to Amazon.com. They have like a billion kinds of boxes, the little cutters for the different shapes of veggies, egg molds (makes boiled eggs into hearts, flowers, etc), and chopsticks, and everything.

The "best" brand is supposedly Zoroishi (check my spelling on that one). Make sure to read reviews tho. Japanese people do not, generally, eat as large of meals as Americans and the bento boxes are smaller than most Americans expect them to be.

Errorkitten 06-24-2012 05:51 PM

I planning on doing this for my son when he starts school this fall. I have seen some really cute ones on amazon. I recently purchased some egg molds and they are SO cute and fun!
My son loves them so far.

mrspnut82 06-25-2012 08:19 AM

I want to do this for the kids for school. Does anyone have pics of how theirs are packed? Like I've seen them in the tray all cute and stuff but I want to see where you go from there. Do you just put it in a tie bag like the ones that come with some of the containers, a soft sided lunch bag, hard lunch box...? I want to see how it goes out of the house with the kids.

Angel89411 06-25-2012 08:51 AM

This thread has perfect timing! My ODS starts school this fall and I don't want him eating school food so I was thinking I should pack Bento lunches to make them fun for him.