Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   What to do with my 1 mo old while pumping? Losing my mind! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1406657)

JulileE 06-13-2012 02:15 PM

What to do with my 1 mo old while pumping? Losing my mind!

Long story short: I bf my 7 prior lo's but my 8th is breaking the mould. She can't nurse: I've seen 3 good lc's, she's had her tongue clipped, her latch is good but it's total non-nutritive sucking.

Fast forward to my problem: I need to pump
at least 2x while dh is at work, but the second I put dd down she howls. And I mean HOWLS. What do I do??? It stresses me out so much to hear her scream for 20 mins, but I need to keep up my supply, which I've been struggling to do so it's not like I can drop pumpings. A couple times I've worn her on my back while pumping, but more often she's completely hysterical about this - if I'm wearing her I need to be on the move.

Any ideas? Anyone btdt? I also use a lact aid supplementer with her a couple times a day: I'm holding onto the hope that one day nursing will click for dd and she'll be able to nurse, but week after week of 1 step forward/3 steps back is wearing me down.

PinkLemonade7503 06-13-2012 11:41 PM

Re: What to do with my 1 mo old while pumping? Losing my mind!

I am going through this too, except my supply is really low because of it. It is so hard! My favorite part of breastfeeding is having her close, so pumping isn't exactly the same.
What works for me- I have my pump set up by a rocker, and a little bouncy seat for her facing the opposite direction right next to it. I put her in there, turn on some music and the vibrations on herr seat, and keep her bottle close. I can lean over and give her the bottle while I pump, if need be. At night I usually feed her this way, so I can get back to sleep faster. During the day I try to pump while she is asleep, but I have this system to fall back on if necessary.
I think the hard part for me is that I hate giving her bottles this way. Sometimes it seems silly for me to forgo holding her during some feedings for a few measly ounces of milk a day. I have decided I will do this until she is three months old, but I really don't want to miss out on more bonding with her!

HugeBabyBoy 06-14-2012 10:57 PM

I had much trouble with my daughter, who always wanted to be near, and my baby boy seems permanently attached to my right breast, lol!
What has worked for me is pumping one side while actually holding the baby. I believe this helped production as well. We were both happy, I was not stressed, and we got to bond. I've also nursed & pumped at the same time, which creates awesome let down.
Good luck!!

2+2macht4 06-14-2012 11:21 PM

Hands free pumping bra and a double pump. Your hands are free to holod baby.

court3189 06-14-2012 11:32 PM

btdt-like you I bf'd my first two with no real issues, but my 3rd dd couldn't bf-she's has a genetic syndrome, had her tongue clipped twice and craniosacral. I made ep'ing work for a year by pumping while I fed her. I set her in my lap or boppy next to me and pumped while I fed her. If I can offer any support feel free to pm me!

Brooke789 06-16-2012 07:16 PM

You NEED a hands-free pumping bra. I EPed for my twins until 17 months. When they were small I would put them on a boppy on the bed right next to me. If they were fussy I'd get set up first then pick them up. I've pumped while holding two babies. No big deal. Especially if you don't fill multiple bottles. I always had to switch bottles part way in, but if you don't have to do that and oly need to hold one baby no big deal!

lilmomma83 06-17-2012 08:59 PM

I had my 5yo feed DD a bottle while I pumped.

Since you are hoping to get her to nurse, I wonder if you are doing suck training? Also if theire is any chance a bit of frenulum was left behind or there has beem regrowth? Have you done/are you doing bodywork?

We still aren't 100% on breast at 6mos (after 2 tongue tie revisions, bodywork, and suck training) but she has been steadily improving with all of that...we really didn't see much change at all after her first revision (he left quite a bit of frenulum behind) and we didn't start bodywork and suck training until just before the second revision about a month ago...she's improved more in the past 1.5mos than she had in her whole life! She feeds at breast all day, getting about 2-3 bottles (1 morning, 1 afternoon (sometimes), 1 night)...and that is working for us!

TwinMommaplus2 06-17-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooke789 (Post 15261308)
You NEED a hands-free pumping bra. I EPed for my twins until 17 months. When they were small I would put them on a boppy on the bed right next to me. If they were fussy I'd get set up first then pick them up. I've pumped while holding two babies. No big deal. Especially if you don't fill multiple bottles. I always had to switch bottles part way in, but if you don't have to do that and oly need to hold one baby no big deal!

:highfive::nursingtwins::yourock:

thtr4me 06-18-2012 01:47 PM

Can you let baby nurse (comfort suck) one side while you pump the other? I know it is not quite as efficient, but might be a workable solution when baby is inconsolable any other way.

I cannot imagine how hard EP'ing is, so great big :hugs: for you.

Chibirsd 06-18-2012 01:51 PM

I think a hands free bra will help that way you can hold her when you are pumping

Lindsey - RN wishing to be a SAHM. mom to the cutest DS born 10/3/11.