Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The economics of hybrid diapers is broken (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1407183)

blakesdad 06-14-2012 07:06 PM

The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

Hi, we have been using disposable diapers for our 1-week old son. Looking at them, the sheer wastefulness is staggering: not only do we throw away a dozen diapers every day, but those diapers are usually only a little bit soiled in terms of both area dirtied and what they're soiled with (ie urine is not that big a deal).

So, we had this bright idea: use cloth diapers. But it quickly came up that we did not want to be burdened with washing endless poopy diapers just to be less wasteful.

A little research later, and I found the product I thought would solve both problems: hybrid diapers. Less waste, roughly the same amount of work, and - because you're buying a small insert instead of the whole diaper - lower cost. What could go wrong?

Well, as it turns out, hybrid diapers make no sense. Let's take a look at their sorted prices (diaperjunction.com):
Huggies disposable diapers: $.28 each
Flip Diaper inserts: $.31 each
Grovia Biosoakers: $.38 each
gDiaper Biodegradables: $.40 each

The kicker is, of course, that not only are the hybrid inserts more expensive, but there are also other costs, such as the original holding diaper which costs as much as 50+ disposables itself, plus the detergent, water, and other costs of actually using the hybrids.

Now, I ask you, why would I pay more for something which gives me less? Not only is the product literally less material and craftsmanship, but it offers less utility in that I would now be washing the holding diaper and doing the work of putting in and removing the insert, whereas the disposable you just toss. For the privilege of doing more work, and getting less product, I'm going to pay more? That is totally bonkers.

The economics of hybrid diapers are fundamentally flawed.

Cloth diapers, of course, over the long haul are cheaper by 90% than disposable. If you're willing to do all the poopy laundry for ~2 years and assign your labor and sensibility no value, that is. Hybrid diapers, however, are priced so irrationally it's now no surprise that I've never once seen them on the shelves in a store - why would any consumer buy them?

The answer of course is that the product is entirely targeted at "yuppies" and "greenies" and other hypothetical consumers who the businesses in question believe to be devoid of any money sense or who are willing to pay more just to get some vague sense of eased conscience. That's sad really, because as I said, I was initially interested in the product precisely because I am environmentally conscious and wanted to do the right thing. But being ripped off by some company because they think I'm foolish enough to whimsically part ways with my money is insulting.

Inserts should be $.15-.20 each, maximum. I'm looking forward to buying them at that time. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing what possible rational explanation there could be from someone who has actually bought some of these and doesn't consider them a poor deal.

Anyone care to defend this gross fleecing of not only the consumer, but also the planet, by incentivizing us to choose continuing purchase of wasteful diapers over enriching a corporation who believes we will pay them more profit to not have a guilty conscience?

EmmaGM 06-14-2012 07:11 PM

O_o
Just as there are different price points amongst CD types (prefolds vs aios) , hybrids are another option for the environmentally conscious.

Also, you've probably come to the wrong place to tell people laundering cloth diapers is a silly waste of time.

Sent from my Galaxy Skyrocket using DS Forum

anniekins1488 06-14-2012 07:15 PM

Re: The economics of hybrid diapers is broken

:popcorn:

kbstanley3 06-14-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakesdad (Post 15251340)
Hi, we have been using disposable diapers for our 1-week old son. Looking at them, the sheer wastefulness is staggering: not only do we throw away a dozen diapers every day, but those diapers are usually only a little bit soiled in terms of both area dirtied and what they're soiled with (ie urine is not that big a deal).

So, we had this bright idea: use cloth diapers. But it quickly came up that we did not want to be burdened with washing endless poopy diapers just to be less wasteful.

A little research later, and I found the product I thought would solve both problems: hybrid diapers. Less waste, roughly the same amount of work, and - because you're buying a small insert instead of the whole diaper - lower cost. What could go wrong?

Well, as it turns out, hybrid diapers make no sense. Let's take a look at their sorted prices (diaperjunction.com):
Huggies disposable diapers: $.28 each
Flip Diaper inserts: $.31 each
Grovia Biosoakers: $.38 each
gDiaper Biodegradables: $.40 each

The kicker is, of course, that not only are the hybrid inserts more expensive, but there are also other costs, such as the original holding diaper which costs as much as 50+ disposables itself, plus the detergent, water, and other costs of actually using the hybrids.

Now, I ask you, why would I pay more for something which gives me less? Not only is the product literally less material and craftsmanship, but it offers less utility in that I would now be washing the holding diaper and doing the work of putting in and removing the insert, whereas the disposable you just toss. For the privilege of doing more work, and getting less product, I'm going to pay more? That is totally bonkers.

The economics of hybrid diapers are fundamentally flawed.

Cloth diapers, of course, over the long haul are cheaper by 90% than disposable. If you're willing to do all the poopy laundry for ~2 years and assign your labor and sensibility no value, that is. Hybrid diapers, however, are priced so irrationally it's now no surprise that I've never once seen them on the shelves in a store - why would any consumer buy them?

The answer of course is that the product is entirely targeted at "yuppies" and "greenies" and other hypothetical consumers who the businesses in question believe to be devoid of any money sense or who are willing to pay more just to get some vague sense of eased conscience. That's sad really, because as I said, I was initially interested in the product precisely because I am environmentally conscious and wanted to do the right thing. But being ripped off by some company because they think I'm foolish enough to whimsically part ways with my money is insulting.

Inserts should be $.15-.20 each, maximum. I'm looking forward to buying them at that time. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing what possible rational explanation there could be from someone who has actually bought some of these and doesn't consider them a poor deal.

Anyone care to defend this gross fleecing of not only the consumer, but also the planet, by incentivizing us to choose continuing purchase of wasteful diapers over enriching a corporation who believes we will pay them more profit to not have a guilty conscience?

Honestly, I'm not going to argue with your point about hybrids as I also think they are overpriced. However, I do argue with the idea that cloth diapering is hard. I've been cloth diapering for over 5 years with 3 kiddos and it's really not that hard. It's 2-3 more loads of laundry a week, and what with the invention of modern washing machines and driers, it takes less than a few hours per week. I don't eat off/with completely disposable silverware or dinnerware simply because I don't want to "waste" my time washing it. Same goes with clothes, bed linens, etc. Can you imagine if that logic was used for every product we wash? I don't really care if you (general you) cloth diaper or disposable diaper, but don't try to tell me it's too hard.

P!nkPepper 06-14-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaGM
O_o
Just as there are different price points amongst CD types (prefolds vs aios) , hybrids are another option for the environmentally conscious.

Also, you've probably come to the wrong place to tell people laundering cloth diapers is a silly waste of time.

Sent from my Galaxy Skyrocket using DS Forum

I agree. We are all addicts here. We love cloth diapers.

:spam: ??? Not sure yet or for what though.

(I always wanted to use that)

Jodie ~ wife & mama

Almacham 06-14-2012 07:23 PM

Um.... wow. Welcome to Diaperswappers, dude.

MrsJordan85 06-14-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freedom (Post 15251424)
Um.... wow. Welcome to Diaperswappers, dude.

:rofl:

el's mama 06-14-2012 07:26 PM

LOL

kbstanley3 06-14-2012 07:27 PM

And why not do part time cloth/ part time disposable? It doesn't have to be so all or nothing...

kbstanley3 06-14-2012 07:29 PM

Also, no one can rip you off if you choose not to buy their product. =) There are plenty of other options out there to use for diapering needs.