Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Quick and Easy Prep Dinners (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1407197)

hbee 06-14-2012 06:41 PM

Quick and Easy Prep Dinners

Can we share quick and easy prep dinner recipes? I'm finding it difficult to spend much time prepping dinner with an active 9 month old.

Yesterday I made Pork Chops.

Ingredients:
Pork chops
Lemon (cut into rings)
Onion (cut into rings)
Brown sugar
Ketchup

Put the pork chops in a 9x11 pan (or 2, depending on how many chops you are making. I can fit about 5 chops in one pan.)

Salt and pepper each chop. On each chop, put 1 Tbs brown sugar, one slice of onion and one slice of lemon. (Stacked up to look pretty!) On top of the lemon, put 1 Tbs of ketchup.

Cover with foil.

Place in 350 oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 30 minutes, or until pork reaches internal temp of 160.

Hungry Caterpillar 06-14-2012 07:39 PM

Re: Quick and Easy Prep Dinners

My number one thing when I do not have time to cook anything is whole chicken and roasted fingerling potatoes (or bigger ones cut up) and carrots.

Place chicken in large baking dish. Sprinkle salt ONLY (no oil or fat) on top. Put potatoes and carrot pieces around chicken. Bake at 425 for a little over an hour. The chicken fat will baste the veggies. It takes me around two mins to assemble.

I also posted this in the thread about hating cooking, but when we are going through crazy periods or someone is sick, I take one hour and cook everything for the next 5 days. It turns into three chicken and two beef dishes so sorta repetitive but it allows me to have everything ready to go and just needing to be cooked out or assembled or heated up. I have done it on Sundays when my husband is playing with the baby.

Your pork chops sound yummy, I will have to try those.

cbusbaby 06-16-2012 08:16 AM

the other day i made something like chipotle. i made two different salsas (a corn one - corn, cilantro, lime juice, green/red onion; tomato one - can of tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, green/white/red onion, lime juice), cilantro lime rice (cook rice then add lime & cilantro), and we had it with some chicken i shredded in crockpot (w/ a can of tomatoes, a jalapeno, some oil, and homemade taco seasoning) and then we ate all that with crockpot refried beans, lettuce, yogurt/sour cream, tortillas... seems like a lot but the yogurt and refried beans were made ahead of time in crockpot, and chicken that day.)

spaghetti with meat sauce

spaghetti alla carbonara - cook up bacon, cook pasta, drain it (save some water), add pasta quickly to egg yolks, stir up, add some pasta water, add peas.

tilapia/salmon and rice w/ steamed vegetables

ps. crockpot refried beans are... amazing. have you tried them?

hbee 06-20-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbusbaby (Post 15258685)
the other day i made something like chipotle. i made two different salsas (a corn one - corn, cilantro, lime juice, green/red onion; tomato one - can of tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, green/white/red onion, lime juice), cilantro lime rice (cook rice then add lime & cilantro), and we had it with some chicken i shredded in crockpot (w/ a can of tomatoes, a jalapeno, some oil, and homemade taco seasoning) and then we ate all that with crockpot refried beans, lettuce, yogurt/sour cream, tortillas... seems like a lot but the yogurt and refried beans were made ahead of time in crockpot, and chicken that day.)

spaghetti with meat sauce

spaghetti alla carbonara - cook up bacon, cook pasta, drain it (save some water), add pasta quickly to egg yolks, stir up, add some pasta water, add peas.

tilapia/salmon and rice w/ steamed vegetables

ps. crockpot refried beans are... amazing. have you tried them?

Oops, missed the question! No, I haven't.

carriecook'n'sew 06-20-2012 11:07 AM

fajitas are always super easy and nice for summer

cbusbaby 06-21-2012 04:16 PM

here's the recipe i use. http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/201...refried-beans/

i usually don't have jalapenos on hand so i just add chili powder and it is tasty. :)

oh, i forgot to add, this doesn't make a whole lot so i usually double it and freeze half.