Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   If you want/have a doula (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1407370)

JustSomeChickVee 06-15-2012 08:43 AM

If you want/have a doula

do you care what organization they are certified by? Or do you care more about personality and personal beliefs about birth?

If you are particular about which certification organization a doula is certified by, which do you prefer (DONA, CAPPA, ALACE, BAI, CBI, BW, toLabor?)

I am asking because I am planning on getting my doula certification this year.

bigmamakelsey 06-15-2012 11:03 AM

Re: If you want/have a doula

I've never had a certified doula. Personally, it's more about the person, the connection, and the knowledge that person has.

Offering my perspective as a student - I am enrolled in classes at Childbirth International for childbirth education, and I've had a wonderful experience thus far! I've been enrolled for about a year. It's a lot more straightforward and not as time consuming as dona since you don't have to complete as much out of home work. If I remember correctly, it's also cheaper. I highly recommend checking into them.

seacat 06-15-2012 11:32 AM

The doula that I used for both boys was only PALS certified at the time she assisted me with DS1 she is now DONA certified as well. It's really about the fit, but I started at the DONA page when I was looking (because they are the largest org). I am now also pursuing my doula cert and I am going with PALS and DONA.

Hillargh 06-15-2012 12:57 PM

I went more on the connection, and how the techniques/skills they planned to use during labor would help me. My first was certified, I forget through whom. It's on her website and she told me, but I forgot. I was more interested in hearing her tell me the different ways she could be there for me, how many births she had attended, etc. And personality was huge for me. I wanted someone I could feel completely at ease with so that ex-DF wouldn't have to play that role if he needed a break or it was something he knew nothing of.

This time I have a doula in training (shadowing under my first doula), highly recommended by my first doula as she was hers for her last birth.

I'm always interested in knowing about skills (my current's backup doula is a massage therapist for example), but certification never really mattered to me. I guess because they aren't going to be medically involved at all, and more emotional and lightly physically supportive (for me anyway, I didn't have back labor or anything but needed hip compressions for my SPD. I'm sure others need more hands on). I was also more of a word of mouth person. I knew women that had had her as a doula, my midwives had all delivered with her there numerous times and loved how she supported mamas, she was crunchy in her home life and with her kids so she understood all my requests, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Hillargh 06-15-2012 12:58 PM

DP! Oopsie!

Catbutt Diapers 06-15-2012 01:46 PM

For me: I started looking on the DONA page, just because that was the easiest to get started on. But when it came down to picking who we wanted, certification didn't matter at all to us - EXCEPT making sure she was a certified lactation consultant. As for the birth part, it was more important that we "clicked" and that I was 100% comfortable with her and felt she brought good skills to the table than if she had certified with someone.

JennTheMomma 06-15-2012 05:18 PM

I don't care about certification. I care about their personality, their coping techniques with not just me but themsevles if the labor is a long one, and their experience in the birthing world. Most of my Doula friends are not certified, no one really cares around me. If women interview me and I just don't jive with them, it won't matter if I'm DONA certified or not :)

JennTheMomma 06-15-2012 05:19 PM

I don't care about certification. I care about their personality, their coping techniques with not just me but themsevles if the labor is a long one, and their experience in the birthing world. Most of my Doula friends are not certified, no one really cares around me. If women interview me and I just don't jive with them, it won't matter if I'm DONA certified or not :)

JeDeeLenae 06-15-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennTheMomma

I agree with this. All the certifications in the world don't matter if you don't click.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

psylion 06-15-2012 05:56 PM

Dona is the only one I have ever even heard of. I guess I care less abut the certification than the connection. Although I don't much trust my judgement on that either since I thought I had a connection with the DULA I got r DDs birth and he turned out to be awful on the actual day. This time I'm not doing a DULA unless I can get a volunteer or low cost one. I can't afford to spend a months rent money on a DULA only to have them suck on the day. I'm. Trying to have a twin vbac though so it would be nice to have the support.