Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do your kids' names have family meaning? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1407732)

NorahsMom 06-16-2012 08:13 AM

Do your kids' names have family meaning?

For either first or middle. My first dd's name is a variation of my grandmother's name. Ds's middle name has family meaning. Now with our new baby, we're trying to decide between giving her a middle name that would have family meaning and we like just fine, OR a middle name that doesn't have family meaning but we really, really like. Part of me thinks we should go with the name we love, but I don't want to later regret not infusing her name with meaning like we did for the other two.

MDever 06-16-2012 08:24 AM

Re: Do your kids' names have family meaning?

All of our children have at least one "name" that is a family name. They all have 2 middle names, have you considered that? Best of both worlds:goodvibes:

MeCo7707 06-16-2012 08:25 AM

We use "family" names but we also really really love them
my oldest has Ann after her grandma, who was present at her birth, and Rayelle after her dad who's middle name is Ray
my middle has Raelene after he dad and Joy after me
My youngest has Rhoswen after my cousin whose middle name is Rose, and MacKay after my husband because that's his clan name.

zandj 06-16-2012 08:26 AM

DS's first name is DH and his grandfathers middle name. His middle name though DH just picked out of a book

for this LO on the way we'll go with a middle name we really like, not necessarily a family name, though the first or middle name will be a family name I think, just haven't decided which!

sisu 06-16-2012 08:28 AM

Both of mine have middle names that are family names. I don't love their middle names, but I do like them, and I *love* the significance of them.

tiredmommyof8 06-16-2012 08:30 AM

Yes most of them do. Our oldest son's middle name is Jamieson after his bio mom Jammie. Our next son is Asher Alexander. His first name is my brother's middle name and his middle name is from one of my first ancestors to arrive in the US. Our daughter Alice Catherine is named after my greatgrandmother. We chose Emily for one dd for a great great grandmother named Emilie. Our dd Grayson Chandler has my maiden name and my dh's grandmother's maiden name. Another dd has that same grandmothers first name Elizabeth as her middle name. Our youngest ds has the male version of my middle name as his Noel. Finally our youngest baby's middle name Rhys is a family name on my side.

jbug_4 06-16-2012 09:10 AM

Yes. DD's middle name is Rae which is her paternal grand mother's name and short for her maternal grandfather's name as well. It was actually intended to honor my dad whose name is Raymond- he died 10 years ago, it was just a bonus that it was my mil's middle name. it made her day- she has no idea that it was actually done for my dad.

DS has 2 middle names- kind of- Henry which is family name and M- just the letter and nothing else. Dh's grandfather was a twin and both him and his twin had middle initials with no name attached. No one including them knew what the initials where suppose to stand for. He died when I was 5 months pregnant with ds and dh was very close to him. So for ds he was given M to honor dh's grandpa. Except for M stands for Merle (Grandpa's first name). Helped smooth over great grandma (his wife) too- she had her heart set on us having a girl who would have been named after her mother (and she didn't know this but the name was also my great grandmother's name). She was heartbroken when we had a boy, but quite happy about both the Henry and the M.

nonipie 06-16-2012 09:13 AM

Yes they all have family names (first and middle) of people who are special to us. We joked that we can't have anymore because we are out of family members to name them after. Before we settled on the name for #3 we were thinking of going with names from literature that has meaning to us.

DS is Drake (my maiden name) Lee (DH's middle name and FIL's middle name)

DD is Morgan (grandmother's maiden name) Christiana (MIL maiden name)

DS2 will be Ellis (G. Grandfather's name) William (Grandfather and DH's grandfather's name)

JeDeeLenae 06-16-2012 09:24 AM

Yep, middle names, initials, etc. are all commerces to family somehow.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using DS Forum

MamaNae 06-16-2012 09:24 AM

My oldest son is named after my paternal grandfather (passed away in 1998) and my husband's maternal grandfather (who raised him, his grandparents adopted him when he was a child)

My daughter's first name we made up (Aldria) but she has my middle name (and my mother's middle name and my great(*x)-grandmother's middle name (Elizabeth) and my husband's maternal great-grandmother's middle name (She has 2).

My youngest son, we just liked the name Emmett and added on my brother's first name (he donated a kidney to my DH) and the name of a cousin who did CPR on my father for 35 minutes after my dad was electrocuted.

We would have went with using my brother's first name but 1) I don't care of it (it's VERY 80s) and we're around my brother frequently so it would have been confusing and I have a cousin and an uncle with the same name and it's already confusing which one you're talking about (We use their middle names...) I didn't want to add in a 3rd LOL...with my oldest...James, I have an uncle and a cousin (Jrs) with that name but my uncle goes by a shortened version of James and so does my cousin. James we call James so it's not confusing at all. The 1st James is dead...and he went my Jim or Jimmy anyway...