Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Mirena and weight gain? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1407907)

TakodasMomma 06-16-2012 03:49 PM

Mirena and weight gain?

Okay since I delivered I've gained 50lbs. I've not changed anything minus getting less sleep and I've become a bit more active. I've had my Mirena for a little over a year, and when I got it is when the weight gain started. I don't know if there is a correlation but if there is just the thought makes me sick!

I don't want anymore kids right now and although I'm not having sex right now, I'd still prefer to use BC just in case. I've done depo before and the pill (I'm too forgetful). I also don't have a period on the Mirena and as bad as I hate AF I don't think it's healthy.

Has anybody else experienced weight gain on Mirena?

Are there any BC that isn't associate with weight gain that I don't have to stress over? I may go back to depo if I can.. I've even though about having my tubes tide but I may want another child if I ever get in a relationship..

Suggestions???

MartOrtiz311 06-16-2012 04:29 PM

Re: Mirena and weight gain?

I had a mirena put in after DS#1 was born and had it for a year and didn't have any weight gain and lost all my pregnancy weight. I just got another one after DS#2 was born in January. Weight is slowly coming off, I have 10-15 more lbs to go. I do think it makes it a little more difficult to lose but no gain here. I've heard lots of stuff on depo making you gain though

jjgammon 06-16-2012 04:30 PM

I've had to give up & resort to Trojans because I've had sever problems with every sort of hormonal birth control I've ever tried.

I wanted to like the Mirena, but honestly, it just doesn't work for me. It made me gain weight (50lbs in less than a year), have horrible mood swings, have acne like a teenager, and have random spotting/light bleeding spells anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months apart. I gave up and called to see about getting it removed, only to find out that medicaid wouldn't cover it. So in the end I got so desperate I pulled it out myself.

TakodasMomma 06-16-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjgammon (Post 15260652)

I wanted to like the Mirena, but honestly, it just doesn't work for me. It made me gain weight (50lbs in less than a year), have horrible mood swings, have acne like a teenager, and have random spotting/light bleeding spells anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months apart. I gave up and called to see about getting it removed, only to find out that medicaid wouldn't cover it. So in the end I got so desperate I pulled it out myself.

Omg I've had similar problems!! I would go through bleeding spells then nothing for months! I just feel like condoms aren't good enough.. mainly because that's how my son was conceived.

If I could afford it, I would reserve some of my eggs and then get my tubes tied..

kts1120 06-16-2012 05:21 PM

Subbing. Just talked to my doc this week about having Mirena put in!

TakodasMomma 06-16-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kts1120 (Post 15260823)
Subbing. Just talked to my doc this week about having Mirena put in!

I hadn't even though about it till a friend of mine had hers removed and lost 7lbs that week. She'd gained about 30lbs in 2 months and had been working out and going to the gym.

It's not supposed to make you gain weight so that's why I am so confused!

cmaniezzz 06-17-2012 03:08 AM

I just got mine put in about 2 months ago. I was on the pill for 2 years and thinking pills always give me a mood swing and depression. But yes, I start to gain weight.. I did gain 10 lbs over the last 6 months though, because going back home on vacation, cold falls and winter and make me stay home more and doing nothing. But since I got Mirena inserted, I can't stop eating.. literally at parties, I will eat constantly and still don't feel full. That's definitely what cause the weight gain, but I still blame the hormone from mirena. My other problem is my acne start to come back. When I was on the pill, my face was smooth and clear, now pimple growing everywhere. Other thing too, I experience sudden blood sugar drops in the afternoon. Around 2 or 3, I will feel super hungry and if I ignore it too long I will be shaking and trembling like crazy. This never happen before. My eating schedule is always off, no breakfast , only coffee, I even skip lunch (maybe few bites here and there to finish off DS meals), and I always totally fine. I mention this to my SIL, and she ask me if I'm pregnant, and now I'm worry..

kts1120 06-17-2012 06:04 AM

Isn't Mirena hormone-free? Or do I have this confused with something else?

TakodasMomma 06-17-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kts1120 (Post 15262757)
Isn't Mirena hormone-free? Or do I have this confused with something else?

The copper IUD Is hormone free.. Mirena is LOADED with hormones that go straight into your uterus!

Greenebean214 06-17-2012 09:32 AM

Have you gotten your thyroid checked recently? That could attribute to weight gain, and it can get wonky after pregnancy/childbirth.

I know a lot of women who do not respond well to hormonal BC. I am one of them, it normally causes mood swings(I.e. crazytown) and awful PMS, among other things. With Mirena I have found it to be less traumatic, maybe because the hormones are lower and more localized to the uterus. I haven't had any issues with weight gain while on Mirena, which was placed about 4 months PP.

Paraguard is hormone free and lasts for 10 years. Maybe you should look into that instead!