Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Baby has trouble swallowing?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1408293)

2princesses&1prince 06-17-2012 10:08 PM

Baby has trouble swallowing?!

My son is coming up on 6mths and I've been told to try and start him on solids..
I have been since 5mths, well b/c I though he was "ready" but quickly realized that he wasn't.. I've just tried again recently and he seemed to be into the "taste" but couldn't swallow it..
When I mentioned it to our doctor, she told me that I should try again in a few weeks but if he still can't swallow then she will be referring us to ped's rehab..

Has anyone else had experience with this, what did you do, what worked?

BeccaSueCongdon 06-17-2012 10:18 PM

Re: Baby has trouble swallowing?!

My son had the same issues. We ended up waiting until he was 10 months before he could really start swallowing anything. I happened to WAY overproduce breastmilk, so keeping up with his nutritional needs wasn't an issue. He nursed until he was 2.5 because he had trouble swallowing. I was on a big "doctors are the devil" kick during that time, and I really regret missing out on the therapy he could have recieved if they had recognized and treated his feeding issues earlier on. He's 4 now and still coughs and chokes at every meal (nearly every bite) and has recurring resperatory issues from aspirating his food.

I'd say when you go back to your pedi, ask if they'll refer him to a feeding speech therapist for an evaluation. That's who my son will be working with now. It's important to get those issues recognized and treated as early as possible to give them the best foundation for developing speech and language ability.

Be really specific about asking for a feeding evaluation with a speech therapist. You may also find it worth it to have him seen by a developmental pediatrician, who might refer him for an ENT evaluation and some other tests to examine whether the issues are neurological, anatomical, etc.

Hope things work out with minimal intervention, and that you are able to access the resources you need. :)

Belbaby3728 06-18-2012 07:22 AM

If you are doing solids vs purees, it takes time for them to learn how to swallow. All babies are different, some will pick up right away others take months. They first learn about moving foods in their mouth- rarely do they start swallowing those foods right away. Thats how they learn gag reflex and such too. Purees are different as tend to just suck them off spoon like sucking milk from bottle.

2princesses&1prince 06-18-2012 01:57 PM

I am hoping that it's just that he needs to learn better how to swallow..
We've tried purees and really runny cereal but it was the same for those as it was for the food he was given.. I really wanted to do BLW, but I am not sure I can do it now (or at least for the time being)..

I will take what help we can get to have this solved, or see what the next step is.. We have an appt on July 3rd, so we will discuss next step then..

Thanks ladies :)

seacat 06-18-2012 03:40 PM

DS2 is six months and actually vomits if he were to get a little bit of food into his mouth. Our ped says that he's just not ready and didn't have any concerns about his lack of enthusiam for solids.

EmilytheStrange 06-19-2012 05:01 PM

Seems a little young. DD rejected solids until between 7&8 months.

But definitely I would follow the advice of the pp who has a child with feeding therapy needs and get a real evaluation to see if it's normal rejection or something different.

gsxr_mama 06-19-2012 06:40 PM

He is a little you and it does take time for them to 'learn' to swallow.

I also have a son with sensory issues (& other special needs) who is 16 and still has trouble swallowing. I am sure to get my baby all the early intervention I can now (also has special needs).

Parents sometimes are hesitant to get therapy because they think nothing is wrong. An evaluation cannot hurt. Sometimes the therapist will tell you everything is normal, but it is worth the visit.

gsxr_mama 06-19-2012 06:41 PM

I meant a little young, not you. Sorry.

mommaof3luv 12-01-2012 09:41 AM

He will be ready when he is ready.

mommaof3luv 12-01-2012 09:42 AM

It sounds like you are doing a great job :)