Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   If you have older children... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1408548)

MamaNae 06-18-2012 01:52 PM

If you have older children...

When will you tell them?

I have a 7, 4 and 2 year old. With the 2 year old I was pretty far along before I told DS1 because he was only 4 and I figured he wouldn't 'get' it...DD was only 18 months so I didn't really discuss it with her at all until really close to the due date.

Now with DS1...he's 7 and will be 8 when the baby is born so he'll understand quite a bit more...

I'm thinking after the gender u/s? That way I can show him a photo and tell him if it's a brother or a sister...

Green Decals 06-18-2012 02:25 PM

Re: If you have older children...

Our kids were the first to know. At 7 going on 8, it will be hard to hide it from him! Our kids are 5 and almost 3, our boys are very aware.

peaches330 06-18-2012 02:28 PM

My kids are 5, 4 and 2 and they already know. I doubt the 2 yo understands but the big kids do and they're excited. They are both hoping for a little sister. We found out about this baby the day before we went to visit family and were debating telling them to just get it over with then but decided that we wanted to tell the kids first.

MamaNae 06-18-2012 02:31 PM

I'm scared my kids will blab so we're not gonna tell them. Nine months is SUCH a long time I don't want them stressing when it takes FOREVER.

If we only make them wait 4 months and then tell them "After Mama's birthday..." they might 'get' it better LOL

kaylabelle05 06-18-2012 03:08 PM

I told DS & DD last night. DD is 6 and has been wanting a baby sister since she was 3 so she was VERY excited. DS on the other hand was not happy. He said if it is a brother he will be happy as there are too many girls! (more males in the house, 3 boy animals, 1 girl)

2.5yrs ago when I MC'd I told the kids and DD was sad. But DS said "YES!" I was SOOO upset with him! I asked him why he was happy that I was no longer pregnant. He said because he had to do EVERYTHING for his sister. He had to feed her, put her to bed, change her diapers...... DS never had to do ANY of that stuff for DD. The fun side of having a child with a brain injury.

MommyMeads 06-18-2012 03:21 PM

I am waiting until I am farther along to tell my kids 5,3,18M. I know my 18M old won't really get it but the older two will. I know after they start having to attend Obgyn visits with me on a regular basis I will start getting asked a lot of questions so I will explain it all then.

You Tell 'Em 06-18-2012 03:24 PM

I'll be telling ODD (she will be 5 in August) after my appointment. If I told her now she would blab. She's been talking about wanting a brother for quite some time now. YDD (19 months) knows but doesn't understand. I don't have to worry about her blabbing ;)

brookglen 06-18-2012 03:35 PM

My step son is four, daughter is almost two. We will tell my step son in August when I'm out of the first trimester.

rachaeljohnson 06-18-2012 04:16 PM

i am scared to tell my dd bc she is very interested in babies and birth and given my history i am just so afraid a miscarriage will devistate her. We will probably tell her after we hear a hb on the doppler or fetascope. :)

Mamma527 06-18-2012 04:42 PM

I'm going to tell mine when I'm ready for everyone to know. DS1's teacher had a baby this year so he knows it takes a while. He has been asking for a baby all year. He says he want 20 babies! DS2 loves babies and is so gentle with them.