Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vbac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Suprise, you have a scheduled RCS (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1408940)

itslilma 06-19-2012 11:01 AM

Suprise, you have a scheduled RCS

First off, I want to thank all the moms on this board for all the encouragement, but today I am feeling a bit defeated.

Let me give a little BG, My edd is the 30th, this is my 3rd ob I have switched to because like most of us on this board we want a vbac.

36 week appt Dr. had to ask me what # birth this was and I told him 4 and we are trying for a vbac. He said ok and then followed up by "well we dont know what size baby will fit thru your bottom, so we will see and at your next appt we will do a u/s to determined weight and check for dilation." My dh gave me an eyebrow raise and I felt the same way.

37 week appt, I saw the NP because dr was on vacation and she came in the room all bubbly and was talking to me about attempting a vbac and said that the Dr. was "top notch" and "very supportive," so I was feeling great when I left.

Well yesterday, was my 38 week checkup and the Dr. pops in and first thing he says is "we have your rcs scheduled for next Monday the 25th" I said Nooooooooo, noooooooo I am trying for a vbac and he said "ok, ok, I know I was looking at your chart before I came in so, it is you thats on the schedule. Just relax, its eaiser to take you off the schedule then you put you on." My heart felt like it sunk. I know he saw the expression on my face. I then asked what labor signs should I be on the look out for and if there was anything I can do to help progress. He said "well your water breaking, contractions 2-5 minutes apart." He then wrapped up the appointment and gave me my paper to checkout. No u/s and no pelvic check.

At checkout, the receptionist wanted to schedule my appt for the 25th, I said I work 4x10's and have Friday off, so I scheduled for the 29th.

I know that makes my appointment's 11 days apart, but I feel like I cant show my face at that place because he is trying to throw the knife at me. Ive been just a chart number and he really doesn't care if I have a vbac or not and clearly doesn't remember what happened from one appt to another. I know that I will not show up for my rcs on the 25th and there is no medical reasons proving that I need a rcs. Labs, weight, bp all have been perfect.

About 20 minutes ago, I decided to call the hospital scheduling to see if I was in fact on the schedule, and I was told that its against hippa rules to give out that information and I needed to contact my dr. I was overly nice and said I wanted to be prepared and the office didn't give me any instructions on eating, time, or if I am truly scheduled..ect.. and the woman said well I cant tell you anything, but whats your name? I told her and she said well you're all good and good to go. That was her way of telling me that yes, I am on the schedule and she followed up by saying they will call me after 5pm on Sunday with prep instructions. So, my dr never canceled the appt. and Im sure the staff wouldn't have made the appt in the first place without his consent.

I would love some feedback.

averysmom 06-19-2012 12:51 PM

Re: Suprise, you have a scheduled RCS

You don't have to show up just because the hospital calls and gives you prep instructions. Your dr told you it had been cancelled. Based on that alone I wouldn't show up. And I would have a serious chat with your dr. If that doesn't get your far, you can still switch again and try to find a midwife that supports vbac.

AniMommy 06-19-2012 01:37 PM

o

AniMommy 06-19-2012 01:37 PM

So sorry to hear this. I had a similiar (but different) thing with my medwife wanting to discuss induction from my 20 week appt on. It really sucked because when push came to shove I was being cared for my a provider that I couldn't trust and it made my birth experience a nightmare.

My only advice is to keep talking to the doc. Doc are humans too and they do make mistakes and have bad days. But they also have their own motivations and issues (malpractice insurance dictating how to care for patients and keeping that insurance).

At your next appt (certainly NOT the scheduled c/s date of 25th) talk to the doc about your concerns. Write down everything you wrote in your OP and discuss why it upset you. Bring the DH for backup. You might find out that he read your chart and thought you wanted the c/s that some nurse scheduled as a matter of course.

I had good luck confronting my LO ped (at her next appt) after he made a comment I didn't like and got a really good response. It made me realize that he was just having a bad day when he said it (and I had been ready to change dr. because of it).

Hope things work out for you.

itslilma 06-20-2012 09:30 AM

I just called the dr's and talked to the receptionist. I told basically the same thing as above but a very short version and I said that it would be a waist of $ to pay staff to set up an OR room that I will not be using and I didnt want the dr to be showing up Monday am for a rcs. She was very nice and said, not a problem, ok ok ok , not a problem, well take you off the schedule, not to worry. :/ I said ok, lets confirm that I have an appt on the 29th, she said yes. So I am leaving it at that.

songbird516 06-20-2012 12:40 PM

It sounds like you've done everything that you can do. I didn't know that doctors routinely schedule c-sections without asking if the patient is okay with that date, even! If they don't take you off of the schedule and everyone gets ready without them, then that is their problem

Stay positive as much as possible and don't worry about them. :)

shan1212 06-20-2012 07:42 PM

Good for you for following up and making sure you will have your TOLAC! Best of luck with everything!

misskira 06-20-2012 08:09 PM

Hmmm... I think you're already scheduled to wash your hair that day. ;) good job getting the appointment cancelled. It seems reasonable to wait until your due date before you talk about scheduling. You can also push for natural onset of labor instead of scheduling, and then stay home as loooooong as possible before going in.

itslilma 06-21-2012 07:31 AM

Thanks for the encouragement ladies!

missdawn25 06-21-2012 12:14 PM

Mama,your body, your birth. I agree with above, once labor starts stay home as long as possible. I had a doula for my VBAC and she was wonderful. Try to relax and think about holding that sweet baby soon.