Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Baby Food recipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409120)

gsxr_mama 06-19-2012 06:23 PM

Baby Food recipes

I have a 7 month old and two teens. I was surprised to see cookbooks dedicated to making babyfood.

I just get fruits and veggies, boil if necessary and put in the food mill.

I feel like these cook books complicate the process.

Does anyone use these?

EmilytheStrange 06-20-2012 04:02 PM

I bought one, but didn't use it.

It just gives you combination ideas and helps if you're adament about doing your own and following 'stages'.

The food was really pretty in it, but I didn't do purees long. The toddler/preschool recipes are too fried for me. In the book I have. Annabelle Karmel, I think.

hbee 06-20-2012 07:48 PM

Re: Baby Food recipes

I have a baby bullet and use some of the recipe book's suggestions...

mamaLuvsJeze 06-23-2012 12:26 AM

when can you start mixing foods? I haven't started my LO on solids yet but I'm just wondering.

parsley 06-24-2012 10:21 AM

I've browsed a few books at the library or in book stores when I was following a strict introduce least allergenic foods first, spaced by 5 days approach with my older daughter. I needed some ideas for combinations that would taste good but didn't use any dairy, acids, etc...

With this babe we'll still do mashes and purees for awhile but I'm less concerned about avoiding categories of food for a long time.

hbee 06-25-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaLuvsJeze (Post 15294227)
when can you start mixing foods? I haven't started my LO on solids yet but I'm just wondering.

I make 90% of my own baby food, but I do also buy some. I started the bear on solids (purrees, stage one) at five months. Essentially, stage one seems to be singular ingredients. Around seven months, I did stage two, but that just seems to be mixed purrees. So, I could have done that sooner. Now, at nine months, we're into stage threes and stage twos. So, stage three is like, chunky mixes, and some meat (which I'm not doing because I think it's gross in baby food.)

cmamalis 06-26-2012 11:18 AM

I make all of my babyfood. Well, I did with DS and will be starting DD on solids next week and will start the babyfood making process all over again. I wouldn't waste money on cookbooks. The website www.wholesomebabyfood.com is amazing at giving tips on when to start things, when to mix, what to mix, how to store, etc. Basically everything you need to know about making your own baby food. HTH

creative*genius 06-26-2012 10:51 PM

I made all my own baby food. I had 2 "cookbooks". The one I used mostly for the age they recommend introducing certain foods. The other one had some good recipes and actually made me more creative with what I would put together. The basics are the basics, but when you get to mixing, there were some really yummy combos I never would have thought of.

l.iggy 07-14-2012 01:56 AM

Someone gave me one when I had my oldest (now 11). I never used it though. With our LO (just starting solids) we have decided to try blw. Poor babyfood cookbook still isn't getting any attention.

mommyto3beautifulbabes 07-23-2012 10:18 AM

I make our baby food and do not use recipe books either. I think that my baby food station came with one but I have just made fruits and vegetables. I love that our system steams the foods and then you can puree them.