Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   normal 5/6 year old behavior? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409188)

shortcake2386 06-19-2012 08:09 PM

normal 5/6 year old behavior?

anyone have a 5-6 year old girl??
im about at the end of my rope with mackenzie:( idk if what she is doing is normal 5 year old stuff or something else? she is soooo sweet and helpful about 1/2 the time, loves to clean(hehehe). the other 1/2 she is sooo moody and defiant. she says multiple times a day that everyone hates her:( and she regularly will draw a picture just to destroy it bc "no one likes it" even if its already been praised:/ she ALWAYS complains that her throat hurts but 3 doctors have found nothing wrong with it? i think part of it may be her cousins being gone and she hasnt really seen them in the last month(maybe 5 minutes a week at church?) but some of the time she just comes across as manipulative:hide: like tonight she really wanted pizza from a particular spot. she pouted for pizza(we'd already agreed to get it just hadnt told her yet) we got it and then she was pouting bc "remember when my cousins lived with us and they would go away for the weekend to grandmas and we would have pizza and watch scooby doo and sleep in the living room?" thts why she was upset?!?! ok no scooby doo bc they have killed 2/3 computers in the last 2 weeks(no tv). and right now mommy is sleeping on the couch so there's no room:/ so i said maybe when christina watches them(when i have the baby, my bff). she still went to bed crying:( granted bed time was an hour late but omg what cn i do???

ETA im 39.5 weeks pregnant and dh just started working 12 hour days after being unemployed for 18+ months so im sure those changes dont help:/

3ringcircus 06-19-2012 08:12 PM

Re: normal 5/6 year old behavior?

This sounds a lot like my 6 year old. Maybe 6 is the new 2. :banghead:

Heather8183 06-19-2012 08:13 PM

I have no advice...just hugs...did Christina move out?! I missed that!

shortcake2386 06-19-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ringcircus (Post 15276226)
This sounds a lot like my 6 year old. Maybe 6 is the new 2. :banghead:

:giggle:i say its the new 13.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather8183 (Post 15276233)
I have no advice...just hugs...did Christina move out?! I missed that!

yeah. they are staying with my parents/grandmother. it works well bc she can relieve my mom from grandma duties and mom can relieve her from the kids for a little bit:giggle:

doulamomma 06-19-2012 08:16 PM

this is soooo my 5yo dd. one minute she is the sweetest most helpful little girl, the next she either has a horrible snotty attitude, or is complaining about no one liking anything she does. it's exhausting. lol

Sent from my droid using DS Forum

stevensmom 06-19-2012 08:17 PM

:hugs: I think she's going through a lot emotionally right now that she doesn't know how to cope with it.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

shortcake2386 06-19-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulamomma (Post 15276255)
this is soooo my 5yo dd. one minute she is the sweetest most helpful little girl, the next she either has a horrible snotty attitude, or is complaining about no one liking anything she does. it's exhausting. lol

Sent from my droid using DS Forum

glad im not the only one but :hugs: it stinks that others are going through it too
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevensmom (Post 15276261)
:hugs: I think she's going through a lot emotionally right now that she doesn't know how to cope with it.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**

so any ideas on how i can "help". 1:1 time? special "jobs" for her(she really loves to cook)? counseling?? i just feel like nothing i do/say makes a difference:banghead:

pumkinsmommy 06-19-2012 08:31 PM

Aw poor little girl and mom. Would it be possible for her to go over to where her cousins live now to have some play time? This would be a huge loss to her. Maybe just telling her that you know she feels sad that they are gone and you understand. Also that this sadness will pass.

shortcake2386 06-19-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy (Post 15276361)
Aw poor little girl and mom. Would it be possible for her to go over to where her cousins live now to have some play time? This would be a huge loss to her. Maybe just telling her that you know she feels sad that they are gone and you understand. Also that this sadness will pass.

yes but not until after the baby comes:( they are 45 minutes away and dh has the car all week for work so it would have to be a weekend. we've tried to get together it just hasnt happened yet

HeatherlovesCDs 06-19-2012 08:46 PM

It seems pretty typical of a 5 year old from my limited experience. She also sounds a lot like my 4.5 year old son with the picture drawing and then destroying it because he says it isn't good. My son also often says "This is a bad day." or "I am not having a good day," in his "mad" voice (or he yells it) and crosses his arms and sits in the corner. He says that just because we don't have bananas or whatever. :rolleyes: He can be so dramatic.

But, back to the 5 year old age...My 6 year old seemed to suddenly get this awful attitude and drama when he turned 5. It's like instead of the terrible twos it is the fierce fives. :\ I was recently over at a friends house for a play date. Her son had just turned 5 a couple weeks ago. He was totally getting an attitude with her a lot of the time. Out of ear shot of him, she says, "I don't know what's with him lately." I replied, "he just turned 5." She laughed but totally agreed that 5 is a tough age as far as attitude goes. She has an older child also.

It does sound like she is in transition, but I also think she is just 5. It's like they realize they aren't a pre-schooler anymore, but haven't yet realized they are still a kids. LOL.

Good luck!