Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Zofran (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409273)

weesej 06-20-2012 06:03 AM

Zofran

Anyone else have Zofran shut down their digestion. I used it in a previous pregnancy and it helped the nausea, but I had terrible gas and my intestines shut down...didn't go #2 for like a week.

I just tried it again last night before supper. Felt great for about 4 hours then felt like I had eaten rocks. I writhed around all night trying not to get sick until 4AM, when I finally did. I feel awful this AM. SO FRUSTRATED. I have 8 kiddos to care for, the nausea is more severe than it has been for many pregnancies....I cannot just go lie down this time. If the Zofran wouldn't shut me down it would help a lot. Phenegran makes me loopy and sleepy, so it isn't a good choice either. I am NOT looking forward to the next 10 weeks (I usually have nausea until 16 weeks...last pregnancy some remained in the AM throghout, but it was mild so I dealt with it okay)

MDever 06-20-2012 06:12 AM

Re: Zofran

I have no experience with Zofran while expecting. I just wanted to offer hugs. I was the most sick when expecting DD1 and I only had to care for myself. I cannot fathom being that icky feeling and needing to function for your family.

Hunny Bunny Baby 06-20-2012 06:37 AM

I have had HG with all my pregnancies & have had to take both Zofran & Phenergan almost the entire time. I'm not really sure that it is the Zofran causing digestive issues or just the HG itself....I know many times I have eaten or drank just a teeny bit only to feel miserable for hours & not have any relief until I would finally throw up:( I know sometimes adding a motility medication like Reglan helps with that, but I can't remember how early they will add that type of medication. Zofran can cause terrible constipation for sure, but there are things that are safe in pregnancy that you can use to help that....fiber supplements, milk of magnesia, glycerin suppositories....even an enema as a last resort, although hopefully the other things work first as I almost died when my midwife suggested that lol. How much Zofran are you taking & in what form ODT or pills? Sometimes taking half a dose more frequently or in a different form will help minimize the side effects. Could you possibly already be dehydrated? Maybe going in for some fluids would help. I just started getting really sick Saturday but by Monday when I went in I was already spilling ketones & needing to get some IV fluids. Being dehydrated will make you feel much worse & also cause your nausea medications to not be nearly as effective. As for Phenergan......if you end up really needing it, you may find that your body quickly adjusts to the side effects. Mine did anyway. While it would make me super sleepy at first, within a week, I was able to take it without issue.

I hope you are able to find some relief, I know how miserable the constant nausea & vomiting can be :hugs:

weesej 06-20-2012 06:38 AM

I was definitley worst with preg #1 (MC at 13 weeks due to Hyperemesis) and #2 my oldest Colin...#3, 4 and 5 were no walk in the park, but better. #6-9 were much easier. #10 was worse only in that it didn't go away and now wham! So much for all my theories...sort of hoping it is 2 if I have to deal with more of this yucky!

Going to try to keep focusing on being thankful...just read the post about the mama who lost hers 4 days ago. No doubt she would be overjoyed to be in my shoes!

weesej 06-20-2012 06:41 AM

I have had HG with all my pregnancies & have had to take both Zofran & Phenergan almost the entire time. I'm not really sure that it is the Zofran causing digestive issues or just the HG itself....I know many times I have eaten or drank just a teeny bit only to feel miserable for hours & not have any relief until I would finally throw up I know sometimes adding a motility medication like Reglan helps with that, but I can't remember how early they will add that type of medication. Zofran can cause terrible constipation for sure, but there are things that are safe in pregnancy that you can use to help that....fiber supplements, milk of magnesia, glycerin suppositories....even an enema as a last resort, although hopefully the other things work first as I almost died when my midwife suggested that lol. How much Zofran are you taking & in what form ODT or pills? Sometimes taking half a dose more frequently or in a different form will help minimize the side effects. Could you possibly already be dehydrated

Thanks for the ideas on helping the Zofran side effects. I am taking 4mg in a pill.

Don't think I am too dehydrated...but it is HOT and my fluid intake is no doubt less, so I will try and get some more in if I can!

Hunny Bunny Baby 06-20-2012 06:48 AM

Maybe ask for the ODT? I have found those to be more effective for me anyway :)

Mamma527 06-20-2012 09:26 AM

I had digestive issues when taking zofran. I found if I just took half a zofran and I would have to take miralax I would do ok.

calleiah 06-20-2012 10:28 AM

I've had HG with each pregnancy and ended up on a zofran pump last time. You need to really UP your water intake with the zofran. The oral med actually loses effectiveness the less hydrated you are, which is why I ended up on the pump. Upping water intake and adding a fiber supplement like Benefiber (to any non-carbonated drink) took care of 90% of any intestinal issues I had.
If you are unsure if you're getting enough water, grab some ketone strips from the pharmacy (in the diabetic care section). If you test positive for ketones, you have some level of dehydration going and need to up fluids more.

Hope that helps make you more comfortable.