Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Hand, Foot and Mouth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409314)

mommabritt 06-20-2012 09:48 AM

Hand, Foot and Mouth?

In the last three weeks three children who regularly attend our preschool Sunday school class and Vacation Bible School have developed HFM (to simply). I have read the wiki page for info, the CDC page isn't loading.

Question is, would you still take your LOs to class and vbs knowing this? Tonight is vbs and my kids love to go but I don't want them picking it up if it's going around church.

Can anyone tell me how contagious it is and when the contagious period is? I have read its spread by contact with saliva, mucous or feces of an infected person. That doesn't seem terribly contagious but then again, it's definitely spreading in our church.

Thanks! I'm on the fence and need some advice.

kai_e 06-20-2012 10:25 AM

Re: Hand, Foot and Mouth?

DS1, along with 4 others, got it about two weeks ago from pre-school. From our pedi, we were told that it is spread by nasal mucus, saliva, feces and the fluid from the sores. DS1 is 4 so around that age, kids are still not great at covering mouths/noses when they cough, putting stuff in mouth (yeah still!!) and can't be counted on to wash hands after *every* bathroom break so the risk of one of those types of fluids ending up on toys, books, bathroom area is fairly high.

I would definitely keep my kids away if it wasn't absolutely necessary and I hope they are going to sterilize/wash everything. We kept DS1 out of school and daycare for two weeks.

It totally sucks. :(

mommabritt 06-20-2012 11:00 AM

Thank you for replying. One of the moms brought her son to sunday school this weekend and said 'well the pediatrician said it spread by feces so unless he's a monkey I think we're good'. DS was in his class that day :(

doulamomma 06-20-2012 11:09 AM

imo, it's not that big of a deal and one of those things that almost all kids get at some point and that you are better off getting it young than as an adult

Sent from my droid using DS Forum

bobbyjk 06-20-2012 11:24 AM

no experience, but it seems to be going around here now ( I know 3 kids in teh past 3 weeks who got it)

DCAMama 06-20-2012 11:29 AM

Here's from the CDC site:

Hand, foot, and mouth disease is spread from person to person by direct contact with the infectious viruses that cause this disease. These viruses are found in the nose and throat secretions (such as saliva, sputum, or nasal mucus), fluid in blisters, and stool of infected persons. The viruses may be spread when infected persons touch objects and surfaces that are then touched by others.

Infected persons are most contagious during the first week of the illness. The viruses that cause hand, foot, and mouth disease can remain in the body for weeks after a person’s symptoms have gone away. This means that infected people can still pass the infection to others even though they may appear well. Also, some people who are infected and shedding the virus, including most adults, may have no symptoms.

kai_e 06-20-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulamomma (Post 15278577)
imo, it's not that big of a deal and one of those things that almost all kids get at some point and that you are better off getting it young than as an adult

This line of thinking tends to get me a little riled. If there was a way I could have saved MY son what amounted to 7 days of pure torment - fever, mouth and throat in agony so that he didn't even want ice cream or popsicles, then his hands and feet peeling so that he looked like a snake, I would WANT to.

And just because it may not be a "big deal" for most kids, what about those that are immuno-suppressed or deficient? They should deal with a hospital trip and even worse because you are of the opinion it isn't "that bad".

I'm sorry, but I don't have two weeks of vacation to take off because things like this "should be gotten as a child". And if I did have the time, I certainly wouldn't want to spend it watching my babies be totally miserable and basically spoon feeding them to avoid dehydration.

mommabritt 06-20-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doulamomma

Well it may not be that big a deal to you but I'd rather my kids don't contract a disease they don't have to have. It's not like catching cold in Walmart, this is about keeping my kids out of a small, relatively enclosed area to avoid contamination.

From what I've read/seen, it looks absolutely miserable to me. Certainly not something Id say isn't a big deal. Also, it's not like chicken pox where having it once as a child is better than getting it as an adult. There's no immunity to it just because you've had it from what I understand.

cmarsh31 06-20-2012 01:11 PM

Just about to post the same. DD and I had it almost 2 years ago. It was horrific. Never have I felt such awful throat pain. It hurt to move my hands, to walk around the room - and my poor baby girl was barely 2. We skipped Mother's Day dinner with my ILs because nephew "might" have HFM. Not something I'm going to mess around with.

paper_girl_76 06-20-2012 03:57 PM

I would absolutely keep my kids home!!! Ds has had it twice...second time was not as bad, but still miserable. And it is VERY easily spread.