Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Co-sleeping failure...aka get this kid out of my bed!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409393)

MamaNae 06-20-2012 11:46 AM

Co-sleeping failure...aka get this kid out of my bed!!

DD is VERY VERY attached to co-sleeping. She's slept solo a handful of times but almost always winds up in our bed.

Problem is...I'm pregnant...and she's a flailer....I've always kept her and DS2 separate because she kicks and flings her arms and is a very mobile little girl. I've got kicked more times than I care to count, so has DH (the flailing thing started within the last year or so, last pregnancy her limbs weren't an issue). Now that I'm pregnant I'm worried about her kicking me in the stomach (it hurts, she kicks like a mule!)

So, how do I transition a 4 year old to her own bed?

She won't be alone in the room, she shares a room with her older brother, but she still says she's scared. I've tried having her and DS1 sleep together but then she kicks him...

I have a few months to ease into this but I'm wondering how to start?

badmisterkitty 06-20-2012 11:58 AM

Re: Co-sleeping failure...aka get this kid out of my bed!!

Oh, I'll be watching this. I'm not in a raging hurry to get 4yo DD out, but with new baby coming it's time for her to be on her own (or with her younger sister). She has the same issues - scared. Of everything. Isn't interested in sharing a bed with her younger sister, but I'm still going to try it. :)

whitneywalters 06-20-2012 01:28 PM

I bribed Destiny. Sounds terrible I know but it worked. At the end of a set amount of time staying in her room she got a prize.

TooBusyBearcubs 06-20-2012 02:23 PM

We pulled DS' mattress into our room and set it up on the floor. Gradually work your DD into sleeping on the mattress. Start with naps, then move her there @ night after falling asleep, then have her fall asleep there @ night. Once she has been sleeping on the mattress regularly for a while, move her and the mattress in her room.

MamaNae 06-20-2012 04:25 PM

We literally don't have room for her mattress on our floor...not even a toddler bed mattress would fit...

We've tried bribery in the past and she just sobbed "I really want the puppy show lego, but I'm too scared to sleep all alone!!!" poor thing...

nonipie 06-20-2012 05:29 PM

Can you make a big deal out of it. Like she is such a big girl and has all these new big girl privledges like sleeping in her own bed and having a special thing that only she is allowed to do. We did bribe DS when we moved DD into his room around a year. He got new sheets that he picked out and we talked it up a lot. When we first moved them out of our room though we just gave them lots of hugs and affirmations that this was what they needed and we were still here and they were okay but did not cave. I mean I sat on the floor next to the bed for few nights but we didn't back track and it really only took about a week to get used to it. They slept SO much better so I think they felt better and that made it easier.