Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How Do I Get DD To Put Her Toys Away? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409538)

NevadaMama 06-20-2012 03:57 PM

How Do I Get DD To Put Her Toys Away?

Is 2 1/2 too early to start "training" my DD to clean up after herself? My living room looks like hell right now and I am getting tired of the constant picking up of kid's toys.

DD loves to help with any kind of cleaning - wiping things down, sweeping, emptying the dishwasher, putting clothes in the wash, etc. However, I CAN NOT get her to pick up her toys no matter what I do. She either runs and hides or pulls them right back out as I am putting them away. I even tried to bribe her today with a treat and she still wouldn't put her train set back in the bin.

Any advice on things that worked for you? When did your kids start cleaning up their toys?

hibiscus869 06-20-2012 04:11 PM

I don't think 2 1/2 is too young to start learning to pitch in.

We have a little cart we got from IKEA that we use to put toys in and then we go push it to the toy storage area (also from IKEA) and we put the toys away. We do it whenever I think things are too messy. I like things tidy. I will also say we don't have a ton of toys to begin with, I'm kind of a less-is-more type. If they refused to help I'd take the toys away for a while, but my kids actually like things cleaned up too. I guess they're just used to it.

doodah 06-20-2012 04:12 PM

Re: How Do I Get DD To Put Her Toys Away?

No, its not too early. I sing a clean up song for my daycare kids and my kids and whatever is not put away at the end of the song, gets put away permanently by me. Even the kids under 2 will help put things in a toy box. Unless there is some sort of learning delay or special needs case, there is no reason why a 2.5 year old cannot help out.

sisu 06-20-2012 04:29 PM

^ I love the clean up song! We've been doing that since DS was about 18 months, he's 2 now and he starts singing it and cleaning up his toys without prompting. :thumbsup:

happysmileylady 06-20-2012 04:30 PM

Right around 2 is about when I start. First I show them and/or physically "make" them do it while I tell them. Like as I am saying "pick up the ball" I am handing it to her. The I take her hand with the ball and walk her and it over to the toy box while saying "put it away.". I do this lots and lots and as I know she understands I move from showing and doing with to telling and expecting it to get d

happysmileylady 06-20-2012 04:33 PM

Stupid Phone posted before I was done. Anyway I also was going to say that at first at least it is more about teaching her how to clean up and put away and less about actually getting it clean because it takes twice as long and twice as much effort.

BNC 06-20-2012 04:45 PM

My kids start cleaning up around 18 months. As soon as they can walk i start handing them things and asking them to put it in the garbage (i hold their hand and help). My kids (now 1, 2 and 4) now know that when i start the timer they have 5 mins to clean up their toys. We do it a couple times a day (before leaving, before bed, etc..). They just do it now, with no issue (usually).

Holly dolly 06-20-2012 04:49 PM

My boys love to pick up using a bucket. We have empty ice cream buckets and they get a "load" then put it away. It helps to make it fun. :)

Brooke789 06-20-2012 04:59 PM

What works best for my about to turn two year-olds is to ask them to help me count whatever needs to be put away. We count the crayons as we put them away, count the Kapla blocks (yes all 383), etc etc etc. If I ask them to help me count them as we put them away they actually help. I've found nothing else that works 100% of the time.

tusheez 06-20-2012 05:06 PM

We have organized shelves, baskets, and cubbies in DDs playroom and her bedroom that helps alot! I help DD clean up. Get the kids to tell you where it goes thats fun too.