Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Did he SERIOUSLY just ask me that?!?!?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409778)

Michelle_M 06-21-2012 09:53 AM

Did he SERIOUSLY just ask me that?!?!?!

I was on the phone with my DH's grandpa. We were talking about our car situation, and he asks me....

"What do you even DO with a newborn in the car. I mean, they don't make car seats that small do they? I guess you have to hold them?" :eek:

I said "Um, no, you put them in an infant car seat. Most of them start at 5lbs."

He said: "But I'm talking about when you first leave the hospital and the baby is just 2 or 3 days old."

I said: "The hospital won't even LET you leave if you don't have a car seat. you have to actually show it to them so that they know you have the right kind for the baby's safety."

Ok, I know he's older, but he's only in his 70's, and he's a pretty smart guy. I'm just honestly shocked that he would think you would ride around in a car just holding the baby. :thud:

Sometimes it amazes me that our parents survived THEIR parents!!!
LOL

God bless!

waterisntsomething 06-21-2012 10:09 AM

Re: Did he SERIOUSLY just ask me that?!?!?!

Wow!!! I will never forget the scence in madmen when Brtty was just driving around and her kids were playing in the car...climbing all around in the front seat etc.. Also when she had her baby she just got in the car with him in her arms.

missydawn 06-21-2012 10:12 AM

I am not so shocked. He came from a different time.

missydawn 06-21-2012 10:12 AM

I am not so shocked. He came from a different time.

Arabesque 06-21-2012 10:13 AM

My mom said the nurses were shocked that she put my brother in a car seat when she brought him home from the hospital. They figured she would be better off holding him. That was 35 years ago.

m0mof6 06-21-2012 10:16 AM

My mom drove home from where her parents lived (several states away) with my younger sister laying in a cardboard box. She just turned 21 this year. Safety equipment and regulations have changed ALOT since grandpa was a new dad.

misscrazO 06-21-2012 10:23 AM

Yeah what was said above. Totally different time/different way of doing things.

Fishie Kisses 06-21-2012 10:24 AM

Yeah, times have certainly changed!

Michelle_M 06-21-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterisntsomething (Post 15284590)
Wow!!! I will never forget the scence in madmen when Brtty was just driving around and her kids were playing in the car...climbing all around in the front seat etc.. Also when she had her baby she just got in the car with him in her arms.

Is that movie or a TV show?

God bless!

ThreadsThatBind 06-21-2012 10:31 AM

My grandma did a similar thing a few months ago. We were going to be driving in her van and she had her back seats down (the kind that tuck into the floor). She counted heads and said "ok we're fine without the back seats". She thought my 9 month old didn't need a carseat and that I'd be holding her on my lap in the front seat. Like your grandpa, she's an intelligent person; so her comment just made me giggle. I gave her a quick refresher on carseat laws and safety and she was just amazed. :giggle: