Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Whooping cough- ugh (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409800)

Hope4More 06-21-2012 10:30 AM

Whooping cough- ugh

It is suspected that I have it. I go for the test in 3 hours. Greeeaaat.... And the antibiotic that treats it? Yah, I'm allergic to it. And the vaccine? Oh, allergic to that too- got two of the three shots as an infant, couldn't get the third shot, no adult booster. I *think* I got it from dh, who was mildly ill for two days after getting his booster last year. It's suspected he got it from ds, who was mildly sick for a week with a weird cough for one day. So if it comes back positive today, everyone in the house revisits antibiotics, per CDC recommendations. Lovely. I'd like to point out that school got out two weeks ago tomorrow, I had planned on. On ing through my new curriculum requirements for next year, and then I got sick last Monday. I've had two days of REAL vacation- the rest of the time I've been hacking. At least I haven't had to use sick days and get a sub!

Please help me commiserate...

looking8186 06-21-2012 11:21 AM

I'm sorry.. That stinks!! I wouldn't necessarily feel like you need to put the whole family on antibiotics unless there's someone in your fam who has an extremely low immune system. They should all be fine and recover nicely. Maybe up the amounts of vit c, echinacea and probiotics you're taking.

DCAMama 06-21-2012 12:10 PM

Re: Whooping cough- ugh

:hugs:
Hope you feel better soon.

z2akids 06-21-2012 12:20 PM

The antibiotics will lessen the time that you and your family are contagious. Given that it is summer and you all probably want to spend time out at the pool or other fun places, I would want to get everyone treated at the same time so that you don't infect each other or thoes with whom you come into contact.

Hope4More 06-21-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2akids
The antibiotics will lessen the time that you and your family are contagious. Given that it is summer and you all probably want to spend time out at the pool or other fun places, I would want to get everyone treated at the same time so that you don't infect each other or thoes with whom you come into contact.

This is what I was thinking.

Happy Mommax4 06-21-2012 01:27 PM

Hope you feel better soon!

Hope4More 06-21-2012 03:44 PM

It's a collapsed lung? WTH?

z2akids 06-21-2012 08:45 PM

You have a collapsed lung and pertussis? I'm so sorry. You must be in a lot of pain.

I don't know how old you are, but have you talked to the doctor about which vaccination you received as a child and what exactly your reaction was? You might be young enough that you had DTaP, but possibly not. DTaP (or Tdap) is a newer version of the vaccine and is an acellular pertussis vaccination while the old DPT was a whole cell vaccination for the pertussis portion of the vaccine. DPT caused a relatively high amount of local reactions that isn't found with the DTaP vaccine. Anyway, I know that you are sick now, but in the future if you decide to look into it, you might want to find out whether Tdap (which is the adult version of DTaP) might actually be okay for you.

I would also ask your mom what sort of reaction you had. I am not implying that your mom is incorrect and you don't have an allergy. However, in many instances, people believe that they are allergic when what they had was actually an expected (yet unwanted) side effect. For example, a fever is a side effect of the vaccine, not an adverse effect or allergy. Sure, no one likes a fever, but it is expected that somewhere around 1:3 kids will get a fever with the vaccine.

Anyway, something to think about for the future.

Hillargh 06-21-2012 10:58 PM

Oh mama I totally understand. I gave birth last year to DS1 with 2 broken ribs and 2 torn muscles from whooping cough (still had it beyond delivery. That was fun for breastfeeding). I'm so sorry. Antibiotics didn't work for me, as I had apparently built up a resistance from issues earlier that year when I had to take a lot of them. Many hugs, and fast healing wishes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

Hope4More 06-22-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2akids
You have a collapsed lung and pertussis? I'm so sorry. You must be in a lot of pain.

I don't know how old you are, but have you talked to the doctor about which vaccination you received as a child and what exactly your reaction was? You might be young enough that you had DTaP, but possibly not. DTaP (or Tdap) is a newer version of the vaccine and is an acellular pertussis vaccination while the old DPT was a whole cell vaccination for the pertussis portion of the vaccine. DPT caused a relatively high amount of local reactions that isn't found with the DTaP vaccine. Anyway, I know that you are sick now, but in the future if you decide to look into it, you might want to find out whether Tdap (which is the adult version of DTaP) might actually be okay for you.

I would also ask your mom what sort of reaction you had. I am not implying that your mom is incorrect and you don't have an allergy. However, in many instances, people believe that they are allergic when what they had was actually an expected (yet unwanted) side effect. For example, a fever is a side effect of the vaccine, not an adverse effect or allergy. Sure, no one likes a fever, but it is expected that somewhere around 1:3 kids will get a fever with the vaccine.

Anyway, something to think about for the future.

I had systemic hives and localized redness and heat. I know enough about allergic reactions to know that hives can be a precursor to something MUCH more serious (like anaphylaxis). I'm not gonna play with that.