Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ahhh.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409847)

Colleen+1 06-21-2012 01:24 PM

Ahhh....

I am running out of things that ds will eat. He has gotten extremely picky. I know I can't force him, and if he won't try it, he won't, and I need to just keep trying.

He will eat
Pb sandwiches, Grilled Cheese
Pasta- only bigger noodles, with sauce or macaroni and cheese
Fruit- most any
Potatoes
Fish sticks (still trying to find a homemade version he likes)
Yogurt
Crackers, raisins, cereal, most anything that is a grain

He refuses all meat and most veggies at this point. How am I supposed to cook around that? I can do potatoes, pasta, fruit and things for side with dinner, but when I'm going to cook any type of meat that means he won't eat the main part of the meal. What do you feed your picky lo's? Even if I made him something separate I know he would eat, at this point he has limited himself so much I can't find much of a variety.

B's Mommy 06-21-2012 04:03 PM

Re: Ahhh....

Hmm - I'm not sure about the meat thing - my dd doesn't eat too much meat either, but she LOVES Red Kidney beans, so I make some of those usually when we are having meat I know she won't eat. The veges are a little easier, because you can make things like zucchini bread (add chocolate chips to make it a "cake"), zucchini brownies (AMAZING), zucchini cookies, vegetable pancakes (I do zucchini because we have a million from our garden right now, but have also used shredded carrots) add blueberries to the mix to make them fruity, or another version of the vege pancakes are more like fried fritters or something that are dipped in ketchup. Maybe try a thin slice of tomato on his grilled cheese, or some grated carrots mixed in with his jelly, things like that. My kiddo goes through weird picky stages, so when she won't eat cooked veges or something, I just add it to what she does like. I've been dicing cooked carrots really small and putting them in her oatmeal or Cream of Wheat along with the blueberries I put in there - she doesn't know the difference and gobbles it right up.

reneaumommy 06-21-2012 10:02 PM

add pureed squash (you can use baby food) to mac n cheese. Serve it with a fruit. You have a grain, dairy and protein (cheese), a veggie and a fruit. Perfect meal!

reneaumommy 06-21-2012 10:03 PM

add pureed carrots to spaghetti sauce

DottieHarley 06-22-2012 11:10 AM

Have you figured out WHY he won't eat meat? Is it a texture thing possibly? DD (just slightly younger) has issues with "whole" meat sometimes but ground meat almost always gets eaten.
Will he eat cheese cubes? Maybe try tofu or edamame - good proteins but not in a meat form.
Can you trick him into eating meat by giving him a sturdy rib or chop bone with meat on it? Not that I'm a big advocate of fooling LO's but think of it as gateway meat :giggle:
Pureed califlower! You can season it up by adding cheese, herbs, or such (also yummy for everyone). Also I have added small florets of cauliflower to the pasta while cooking and then made mac and cheese with it. The C kind of melts into the pasta.
Veg with "mac and cheese sauce?" Or butter... my cousins kids turn up their noses at veg until she puts melted butter on top... then they proclaim brussels sprouts to be DELISH, lol!
Zucchini bread is a great idea, and maybe you could do carrot muffins or something like that?

Colleen+1 06-22-2012 12:22 PM

Lol. He would definitely be into the bread with zucchini or carrots. I made blueberry muffins and he was so happy to get "cake" with his breakfast, lol.

DottieHarley, I've tried ground, stewed, a rib on the bone, grilled, meatballs, I've tried dipping in ketchup which he loves. No avail. At this point he won't even try them most days, but I still put it on his plate. I think it is a texture thing. I'll have to add some veggies to sauce and things as suggested. I thought about trying tofu, but I have no idea where to start with that, and he won't eat cheese cubes.

GreenDahlia 06-22-2012 02:36 PM

I'm dealing with the same thing unfortunately. Can you experiment with cutting things up? DD likes some things cut up and some things whole. The bento style food cutters cut things in fun shapes and maybe he'll like that? I just buy sectioned food trays at target and fill each portion up with a very small portion of different foods. It gives her the chance to eat what she wants and maybe try something new. Whatever she doesn't eat at that meal gets saved for the next meal, she'll usually eat it then.

I remember reading that as long as we keep offering a variety of foods they'll eventually get the nutrition they need. I'm trying not to stress too much but some days I honestly wonder how she survives on such a small amount of food!

Leocaligirl 06-22-2012 02:54 PM

Yup hide the meat & veggies. DD is very textural when it comes to food. She would never eat spinach because of it's texture so I make green smoothies for her and she get's her spinach that way. I use veggie purees and I also grate them and put them in pasta sauce. I puree chicken in the chicken stock for her chicken noodle soup. I have even made her a pasta sauce that was baked eggplant, pureed with onion, garlic and tomatoes and she loved it. Peas I give to her and DS frozen and then think they are a treat.