Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Leaking milk out of pumping breastshields (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409947)

Hi-Dog 06-21-2012 03:53 PM

Leaking milk out of pumping breastshields

I have a Medela PIS and I have tried using both the 24mm and 27mm shields and I get leaks out the bottom (on the side touching my breast). . . I have an Easy Expression bra from Medela and it ends up half soaked with lost milk (which makes me cry because it's a miracle if I can pump more than an ounce in one sitting). I really can't waste a precious drop and I am growing really frustrated. Either I am doing something wrong or there is a serious design flaw with pumping shields in general.

Any advice from pumpers out there are on how to make my shields seal tighter so they don't leak?

Thanks in advance from a desperate and discouraged mama

twood80 06-22-2012 02:52 PM

Re: Leaking milk out of pumping breastshields

I see the thread has several views... I hope other mamas come up with some good advice for you.

The only times I've had issues with leaking around the edges is when I've either had some moisture already on the phlange (for wicking issues), or failing to lean forward enough (while pumping or while disengaging afterwards).

If it makes you feel any better, on the rare occasions I've spilled part of a bottle of milk while disconnecting or transfering, I've known how much there was beforehand, and I know how wet my clothes got, and it wasn't as much lost as I would have assumed.

Good luck mama!

LaughingPeaMama 06-23-2012 06:42 AM

I have had less problems now that I switched to bigger shields. Maybe try the pumping pals kind. They are angled down. I still have some issue with leaks but not as much as when I used the 24 mm

Hi-Dog 06-23-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaughingPeaMama
I have had less problems now that I switched to bigger shields. Maybe try the pumping pals kind. They are angled down. I still have some issue with leaks but not as much as when I used the 24 mm

I looked up those Pumpin Pals and they look great! I think I am going to order some. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

skolbut 07-14-2012 01:39 PM

I know this thread is a little older, but I need to share my trick. I always keep a kitchen towel in my pump and I tuck it underneath my girls while I'm pumping. Like I wad it lengthwise and put it under where an underwire would go. It props them up into the right spot and I don't leak. Then I have a towel to use when I disengage the pump and use it to wipe the flanges so they don't drip.

dnh 08-15-2012 07:15 AM

i didnt read all the replies, so excuse me if this as already mentioned.. but it seems to me that you probably have milk coming out of a hole or some holes in your areola. it doesnt always come out of only the tip of your nipple. anyway, putting some lanolin around the edges of the shield can do great at sealing it off too.. also leaning forward so whatever does want to dribble out, dribbles down into the bottle. and one more thing.. dont lose heart! the breasts have to kind of 'learn' to be pumped. keep at it and you will get let down faster and your breasts will put our more.

an_aurora 08-15-2012 07:17 AM

I always had to lean forward a little while I was sitting and pumping.