Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Toddler at an air show? I have never been to one (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410006)

Mom2Connor 06-21-2012 06:18 PM

Toddler at an air show? I have never been to one

DS is 22 months, very outgoing and an outdoorsy kid. He loves airplane watching in the sky (we see quite a few at varying heights going over the backyard every day, we seem to live under a common flight path or something...). Of course, these planes, even when "lower" than normal cruising altitude, are much higher than at an air show.

I posed this question to my FB friends and family and only got a handful of replies consisiting of, he'll be bored (no he won't, he loves going to outdoor things even if not "kid friendly" and not much for kids to "do") to "it's dangerous, planes crash at those things" (I think this is actually really rare, and there has never been a crash at the show we are looking at going to this weekend) and finally to just go sit nearby and watch but not actually at the show (he definitely won't go for this, he would be very bored, though it is a good money saver idea for older kids).

My number one concern is the NOISE and that it will be damaging to his ears. We do have ear protection for DS but I very very highly doubt we'll be able to keep it on him.

Is this just a bad idea all around?

thtr4me 06-21-2012 06:23 PM

Re: Toddler at an air show? I have never been to one

We have done preschooler and infant at an airshow. We did the Miramar Air Show, which is really load. And I mean REALLY loud.

My recommendation would be to take the hearing protection, as well as child sized ear plugs (the kind you stick in the ear). Also be prepared to clamp hands over ears quickly when necessary, as it will be better than no protection at all, in the event that child manages to remove all hearing protection.

If your DS likes airplanes at all, he will have a blast. I say go ahead and go for it. You are the best judge of whether you as a family will have a good time.

champatlife 06-21-2012 06:32 PM

Of course I'm opinionated being the wife of someone who works on jets, but all my friends have always taken their toddlers with them to the air shows. Most didn't even think of noise protection (though I think it's a fantastic idea and would def bring everything- ear plugs, "head phones". (my dds have never been to an air show for various reason, so no first hand accounts of my own) but all my friends kids did wonderful. It's super hot (so lots of sunscreen) and there are tons of people- so stroller or backpack "leash" make come in handy. It would take less then 5 seconds for him to get lost in the crowd at these types of events.

How much are tickets? Is it a reasonable enough price that if it doesn't go well, you can up and leave? The ones on our base open to the public didn't have an admission charge unless you wanted to sit in bleachers. Is it on a base or civilian? Because if on base they have a long list of what can and can't be brought.

Personal opinion: I have a 22 month old and I don't think she'd love an airshow (crowds, confined to a stroller or a tiny distance), but as stated my friends took kids same age and younger and said theirs had a great time :) So, unless it's something YOU really think you'd enjoy I might pass.

Mom2Connor 06-21-2012 06:55 PM

We would definitely enjoy it. It's civilian I believe, and yes there is an admission price but it's reasonable and DS is of course free so price isn't too bad. We would probably only be there a few hours.

Strollers and small coolers are allowed, and he's good at riding in his stroller or holding hands, so I don't think that would be too much of an issue.

Thanks for the input so far!

JennTheMomma 06-21-2012 07:33 PM

My DH is a Pilot so my kids have been around all sorts of planes. Some are louder/quieter than others, so I would say it depends on what planes they are and what your child's reaction to loud noises are.

keen1981 06-21-2012 07:35 PM

Buy noise canceling head phones. $40 at your local sporting goods store. We go all the time.

keen1981 06-21-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thtr4me
We have done preschooler and infant at an airshow. We did the Miramar Air Show, which is really load. And I mean REALLY loud.

My recommendation would be to take the hearing protection, as well as child sized ear plugs (the kind you stick in the ear). Also be prepared to clamp hands over ears quickly when necessary, as it will be better than no protection at all, in the event that child manages to remove all hearing protection.

If your DS likes airplanes at all, he will have a blast. I say go ahead and go for it. You are the best judge of whether you as a family will have a good time.

That's one of my favorite! Can't wait for it this year!