Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   EPer foremilk/hindmilk issue (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410007)

c-role 06-21-2012 06:19 PM

EPer foremilk/hindmilk issue

My daughter is almost 8 weeks old. She was EBF after my milk came in until week 4. She had to have formula in the hospital to avoid a trip to the NICU. Then we discovered a grade 4 posterior tongue tie. Since then I have been EPing and doing bottle feeding. Since birth she has been a very fussy baby with greenish/brown/yellow watery poops. I have given up dairy and soy since around 4 weeks as well. I couldn't help but wonder if my pumped milk is mostly foremilk and minimal hindmilk causing the green watery poop. When my milk is in the fridge there is a very small line of fat on top. I am wondering if other moms that mostly pump experience something similar to this. Can I do anything different to ensure she gets more hindmilk?

HugeBabyBoy 06-21-2012 11:07 PM

Are you taking vitamins/supplements? Do you eat lots of spinach, greens or meat? Green could means she's getting a lot of iron.

Do you give her vitamins? We did that with my first born, but had to stop because she had horrible tummy pains and green olive colored stools. Once she was off the drops, it stopped.

pepperann 06-24-2012 10:42 AM

Re: EPer foremilk/hindmilk issue

I have a 7 week old girl that gets half her milk from pumping and half from the breast. I thought the green was due to broccoli, but it turned out to be a foremilk/hindmilk issue. We've gotten the number of green poos down by making sure that I empty (as best I can) the whole breast while pumping and not stopping the session based on an arbitrary time recommendation. That being said, if you have an oversupply like I do, longer more frequent pumping sessions can increase supply. So we are trying to find a balance/reliable routine right now. Also, the time of milk collection can play a role. We generally produce more thin milk in the morning and more fatty milk in the evening as our supplies drop. If you are not pumping enough in the evening that could be an issue. Are the poops a mixture of the colors, or is it like green one time, brown or yellow the others? I know that watery and seedy are ok and normal, but bright green, or brown/yellowish-ish with bright green bits is an indication of an imbalance. You should talk to a la leche league leader if you can to help out because every mom and baby are unique.

c-role 06-28-2012 04:35 AM

Re: EPer foremilk/hindmilk issue

Thank you for your replies. I stopped taking a MVI with iron around the time I stopped dairy. 4+ weeks ago. I do not eat a lot of greens but I do eat a lot of avocados. This might sound weird but I think they have something to do with it. Her poops are a mixture of bright green, greenish yellow, yellow orange. It is interesting you mentioned the later in the day milk is fattier. I produce about 35 oz a day. I am not exactly sure how much my daughter takes but it is probably half that. I usually take the morning pumping and divide it up for the days feeding and freeze what I produce later in the day. That seems wrong now. I should probably freeze more in the morning and use the later in the day milk. Or at least be better about using amounts all throughout day. I will try that. THANK YOU!