Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who here has gone through IVF? May I pick your brains? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410104)

jacquelinemarie82 06-21-2012 10:11 PM

Who here has gone through IVF? May I pick your brains?

Hey girls, wanted to see what mamas here have been through IVF that may not regularly chat on the TTC boards. I would LOVE to ask some questions to those who have been there!!!

1. What side effects did you have from the medications? How soon did they start/ how long did they last?

2. How many eggs did you retrieve? How many made it to the freeze?

3. How many did you implant? How did you decide how many to do?

4. What did you do with leftover fertilized eggs if any?

5. Was the procedure successful for you? If not, do you have any solid answers or thoughts as to why not?

6. What was the egg retrieval like for you? Did you take off work...how much?

7. What was the actual procedure like for you? Did you take off work...how much?

8. Any issues/problems/lingering side effects during the 2 week wait? When were you told you could test? When did you get your positive?

raymark 06-21-2012 11:06 PM

Re: Who here has gone through IVF? May I pick your brains?

We did IVF with donor eggs. For unknown reasons mine had aged prematurely. So there was no egg retrieval process for me & I only took drugs for the second half of the process.

Our clinic would only implant 1 or 2 embryos and we were strongly cautioned about choosing two many times. We have 3 frozen embryos we will start to TTC with early next year. I quit my job and did acupuncture to help our chances for success. I didn't want to feel like I should have relaxed more or let go of more stress in my life if IVF wasn't successful.....after 10 years of surgeries (including having my fallopian tubes burned) and TTCing I needed to do anything I felt could increase our odds of success. I don't feel as strongly about quitting my job the next time and likely won't.

It was successful & we had 2 healthy girls @ 37 weeks.

I was a huge ball of stressed nerves throughout the entire process.

9 eggs were retrieved from our donor, 2 implanted, 3 were frozen.

gabmaxi 06-21-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelinemarie82
Hey girls, wanted to see what mamas here have been through IVF that may not regularly chat on the TTC boards. I would LOVE to ask some questions to those who have been there!!!

1. What side effects did you have from the medications? How soon did they start/ how long did they last?

5. Was the procedure successful for you? If not, do you have any solid answers or thoughts as to why not?

7. What was the actual procedure like for you? Did you take off work...how much?

8. Any issues/problems/lingering side effects during the 2 week wait? When were you told you could test? When did you get your positive?

1) I got fat and crazy. Finally lost the weight, possibly still crazy but definitely not out of control emotional.
2) 10 or 15 eggs were retrieved, only 5 were mature. None made it to freeze.
3) We implanted 2, which is the max at our clinic if you are under 35.
4) We had 3 additional fertilized eggs, but they didn't make it to day 5.
5) Yes, it worked for us, I'm forever grateful for my miracle baby.
6) Egg retrieval was fine, I took one day off, but definitely took it easy the next day.
7) Do you mean implantation? Total breeze. Love Valium! Took one day off.
8) no issues that I can recall. Tested positive on a dollar store strip at 10 days, blood draw day 14.

Wanderlust 06-22-2012 01:41 AM

1. What side effects did you have from the medications? How soon did they start/ how long did they last? I started the Gonal-F, I noticed my teeth were very sensitive to liquids and heat/cold. A few days after I stopped the Gonal-F, my teeth went back to normal. I was also very tired- I just wanted to nap all day and was hormonal. There was water weight gain too.

2. How many eggs did you retrieve? How many made it to the freeze? Retrieved 12 eggs, 8 fertilized, 5 survived. Transferred two and froze the remaining three.

3. How many did you implant? How did you decide how many to do? We transferred two Grade 1 expanding blasts. We were open to the possibility of twins, so transferred two. If we really only wanted a singleton, we would have transferred one and froze the rest.

4. What did you do with leftover fertilized eggs if any? We went back for them all. If we had ended up with an outrageous number, we would have adopted them out to other infertile couples.

5. Was the procedure successful for you? If not, do you have any solid answers or thoughts as to why not? Our fresh IVF was successful. Our FET was not- but I think that's because our clinic still uses cryopreservation rather than vitrification

6. What was the egg retrieval like for you? Did you take off work...how much? It was fine- our clinic did general anesthesia and I think stateside clinics like to use twilight. I was sore that day and rested the next. But if you have an office job, I could see going into work the next day as long as you didn't overstim

7. What was the actual procedure like for you? Did you take off work...how much? The transfer was fine. I did get a diazapam pill to keep me relaxed during the transfer. I rested in the recovery room for 4 hours and did 2 days of bed rest. Maybe a little extreme, but I wasn't taking any chances.

8. Any issues/problems/lingering side effects during the 2 week wait? When were you told you could test? When did you get your positive? No issues from the IVF itself. I was just tired from the progesterone. I tested the trigger out, so I think I got my true + at 11dpo, with twins.

Good luck!!!

LaughingPeaMama 06-22-2012 04:46 AM

We didn't have enough eggs the first time to make it to retrieval so we converted to iui so I have no procedure help but...

Lupron will make you a crazy menopausal lady
The stim meds make you fat and cranky and any weight you gain is HARD to lose
I have abnormal body hair growth now that I didn't have before. It all seems thicker and denser
Be prepared to be cancelled due to poor or over response
Menopur hurts to inject!
Get some exercise such as walking swimming. Nothing crazy but something that will help settle the nervous energy you will have
Remember that nervous energy is fleeting. Don't expect to get
Much done
Sinks tons of Gatorade after the procedure and rest
Monitor your weight post procedure for ohss
Ohss is miserable and can happen even with a poor response.
I tested my trigger shot out. Well with both cases the test never went "neg". It always had this sorta faint shadowy line that one day (about 9dpo) suddenly got darker. I had one shot
Of ovidrel

happysmileylady 06-22-2012 05:45 AM

1. What side effects did you have from the medications? How soon did they start/ how long did they last? I don't recall any specific side effects from the stim meds. Some people talk about emotional things, but I don't recall any of that. I did have huge ginormous welts all over my rear end from the PIO shots after the transfer.

2. How many eggs did you retrieve? How many made it to the freeze? We had 8 follicles going into retrieval, 6 were retrieved, 3 fertilized, all 3 transfered, nothing to freeze, 1 stuck.

3. How many did you implant? How did you decide how many to do? The original plan was to implant 2. When we only had 3 fertilize, and the 3rd one wasn't looking good, my RE said it didn't make sense not to transfer it. Freezing was $450 initially, pluse $800 a year storage. The 2 best looking were transfered, so the 3rd was the least likely to survive freeze anyway, and if we didn't freeze it and didn't transfer it, then it was basically eliminated and that didn't make any more sense than freezing it. So despite having signed paperwork that said to transfer no more than 2, on transfer day, the decision was made among DH, myself, the RE, the nurse practitioner and the embriologist to go ahead and transfer the 3rd as well. And of the 3, only one implanted and stuck anyway.

4. What did you do with leftover fertilized eggs if any? None left

5. Was the procedure successful for you? If not, do you have any solid answers or thoughts as to why not? Yes, it worked exactly as it's supposed to.

6. What was the egg retrieval like for you? Did you take off work...how much? Our retrieval was done on a weekend day, Saturday, and I already had that weekend off work, though I usually work weekends. Retrieval itself wasn't a big deal though honestly, I don't remember. They didn't use general anesthesia, but they called it "twilight sedation." I don't remember the med used, it was in an IV and I recall that it's similar to the sedation my dentist used when DH had all his teeth removed in prep for dentures. I remember walking into the retrieval room, I remember "waking up" in the recovery room, but I don't remember anything in between. Dh said I never went to sleep and talked to him, albeit oddly, most of the time. He was there with me the whole time, his part was taken care off that morning and brought with.

7. What was the actual procedure like for you? Did you take off work...how much? Transfer was...interesting. I was awake through the whole thing, I don't recall any anesthesia. I did have some cramping afterwards. I took off a few days. The week of transfer happened to be a week that I was supposed to go on a required business trip. I ended up risking my job to stay home and miss the trip. And ultimately lost my job anyway due to having the baby because it wasn't covered under FMLA, but that's not relevant to the IVF. It was weird to see on the U/S screen and feel at the same time the weird little catheter thing they used to place the embryos.

8. Any issues/problems/lingering side effects during the 2 week wait? When were you told you could test? When did you get your positive? No issues or problems. They scheduled the beta for 2 weeks after the transfer which was a 3 day transfer, but I started testing one week after with HPTs. I was testing that early to try to "test out" the trigger shot, but I never got a negative test. I got my first positive at about 7dp3dt, so 10 days after fertilization. I tested probably a total of 10 more times between then and the beta test, and they continued to get darker.

keysersoze 06-22-2012 05:58 AM

We're presently in the middle of our 2nd ivf cycle (our three LOs were conceived thru iui). Egg retrieval was yesterday, and I'm waiting on the fertilization report. My DW is 42, and even though our youngest is 16 months, it appears her fertility has declined precipitously (ds2 only took 3 iui's), as our first ivf cycle yielded two follicles and zero eggs, and this time she had 4-5 follicles and one egg (still waiting to hear whether or not it was mature). We've been advised that donor eggs would be more likely to be successful, but its beyond us financially. I personally wonder if the hcg trigger may be at fault for our supposed "empty follicles", as when we conceived our dd and ds2, she triggered with ovidrel with success; our doc rx'd a generic hcg these two cycles. If we go this route again, and I'm not sure we will, as the process is hard on us financially, and emotionally, we will demand an ovidrel trigger, since we know it worked before.

From the outside perspective, the stims made her irritable and tired. She's had cramping since the retrieval, and slept most of yesterday. She did go to work today (she's a teacher and its the last day). She's done weekly acupuncture, yoga, and used coq10, wheat grass, melatonin, and a brief use of dhea (the verdict's still out on that one), and high dose vitamin d.

HeatherlovesCDs 06-22-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelinemarie82 (Post 15288603)

1. What side effects did you have from the medications? How soon did they start/ how long did they last? I was very emotional. That's it.

2. How many eggs did you retrieve? How many made it to the freeze? Retrieved 17, 15 mature, 15 embryos fertilized, 12 excellent, 2 transferred, 10 frozen, 3 did not make it

3. How many did you implant? How did you decide how many to do? 2. We always transfer 2. We don't have the money to do them one at a time and we are fine with twins. We didn't want trips. I was asked after a m/c cycle if we wanted to transfer 3. I said no. I'm glad as I had twins that cycle and the next. :giggle:

4. What did you do with leftover fertilized eggs if any? Transferred all of them. 5 FET's. 1 = m/c, 2 = twins, 3 = twins, 4 = BFN, 5 = twins, lost one around 8wks, singleton due 10/15

5. Was the procedure successful for you? If not, do you have any solid answers or thoughts as to why not? Yup, 5 going on 6 kids.

6. What was the egg retrieval like for you? Did you take off work...how much? It was fine for me.

7. What was the actual procedure like for you? Did you take off work...how much? Yes, I've almost never heard of anyone not taking off work because you have to be on bedrest afterward. Every RE is different as far as how long bedrest lasts. Mine is 24hrs. I've seen some be 3 days. The transfer is not a big deal. The worst part is having a full bladder. (I've had 6 since FET transfers are just like fresh transfers :thumbsup:) With my first cycle, I had OHSS and it was getting really bad the day of the transfer. So, I was in a lot of pain, but it wasn't from the transfer itself. Some RE's have you take valium. (Some say it helps to relax the uterus.) Mine doesn't and I wouldn't if it was offered. To me, the transfers just aren't a big deal and since I've never taken valium and still had lots of success, I don't feel it's needed.

8. Any issues/problems/lingering side effects during the 2 week wait? When were you told you could test? When did you get your positive? I had OHSS. That lasted into the 2ww and was very painful. I ended up out of work for several extra days and was monitored by u/s, but ultimately didn't need any treatment for it other than the rest. Some clinics don't care if you test. Mine tells you not to. You can get false positives if you test too early because of the hCG trigger. Typically, that is out by 10 days, but has been known to linger for 12 days even though that isn't common. I tested at 12 past a 3 day transfer and got a very clear and obvious positive with my fresh cycle. With my FET's, I got positives on day 6 and 7 with different cycles. However, you shouldn't test that early if you do a trigger shot.

Feel free to PM me if you want. :thumbsup:

See above. :)

frimousse 06-22-2012 07:07 AM

Hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, brusing from the many injections.
8 eggs, we started on the average meds and ended up on the max of everything we could be on. I did not respond well and each day it was just enough progress to keep on going with the cycle. All fertilized.
We implanted 2 on Day 3. It was the max allowed for my age here at our clinic in Ontario. I really wanted to maximize my chances and was ok if we had twins.
We let them keep developing to day 5, there was only 1 left to freeze.
It was exhausting and stressful. I don't think I could go through it again, even though we had said we would try twice. I was off during the summer break, I don't know if I could have done it while working (I'm a teacher). I was soooo grumpy!!!
I will not lie. It was very painful. My left ovary is a bit weirdly placed though, and even during ultrasounds they really have to dig in there to get a good look at it. I was on pain meds, but they were twisting that needle and pushing down on my tummy. I was crying and it really hurt and the doctor was not sympathetic at all. I happened to be off work, but I probably would have needed a couple of days to recover. That, plus all the drugs in combination was exhausting.
The actual transfer was fine. Easy peasy compared to the retrieval.
No problems during 2ww. Just took it easy as they said, took the blood test exactly 2w later and had a bfp! Then went in for an ultrasound another 2 weeks later, confirmed a heart beat and was transfered to the care of my midwife for the pregnancy.

We just tried a FET with our frozen embryo last month and were not successful. We have decided not to do IVF again. I am so happy we did it, we have a wonderful little girl, I just don't think I could go through it all again. I am amazed at the strong women who do multiple IVF cycles.

talitha 06-22-2012 08:04 AM

Hi!

1. What side effects did you have from the medications? How soon did they start/ how long did they last? I remember being moody and bloated.

2. How many eggs did you retrieve? How many made it to the freeze? They got 16 eggs and 12 fertilized, and 8 survived the day

3. How many did you implant? How did you decide how many to do? We transferred 2, my doctor's policy is to transfer no more than two during a fresh transfer if you are under a certain age (I think 35?) I was 28

4. What did you do with leftover fertilized eggs if any? We had them frozen

5. Was the procedure successful for you? If not, do you have any solid answers or thoughts as to why not? Yes! We had our son from our first transfer. We went back last year and did a frozen transfer. We transferred 3 embryos and one implanted. Unfortunately we miscarried that baby after seeing the heartbeat at 7 weeks. I don't think it had anything to do with the IVF since they found a blood clotting disorder when they ran the repeat loss panel on me

6. What was the egg retrieval like for you? Did you take off work...how much? I took one day off work (the day of retrieval) it was very painful for me. I was in twilight sleep and felt everything. The doctor kept telling me to lay back down on the table lol. I laid on the couch and took Vicodin for the rest of the day. No one else I have talked to has said it was painful.

7. What was the actual procedure like for you? Did you take off work...how much? I took 2 days off work to lay in bed. The transfer wasn't painful at all besides the full bladder part lol.

8. Any issues/problems/lingering side effects during the 2 week wait? When were you told you could test? When did you get your positive?I got my positive test pretty early. I started testing right away so I could watch the trigger shot leave my system so I could be sure it was the real thing. Then I got several negatives, then a super duper faint line. No real bad side effects, just twinges and cramping and stuff.

Good luck to you!:hugs: