Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Too many blackberries! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410211)

Jen's_4 06-22-2012 08:45 AM

Too many blackberries!

We've kind got a blackberry overload going at our place. I'm thankful for the berries but running out of ideas. We have:

Made jam
Froze berries
Made cobblers
Made berry rolls
Canned berries
Dehydrated berries

What else can I do? And ideas and recipies would be great!

cbusbaby 06-22-2012 09:39 AM

Re: Too many blackberries!

put them in pancakes, make syrup, make pies, put in smoothies, eat on yogurt/granola... i wish i had lots of blackberries!

Jen's_4 06-22-2012 09:49 AM

Oh yeah...we've also done muffins, pancakes, smoothies, popsicles and fruit strips. Maybe some syrup though, that sounds good.

Leocaligirl 06-22-2012 01:59 PM

:giggle2: There is no such thing as to many blackberries. :giggle2:
Syrup sounds great. Also can you can some whole so you can use them later in the year in recipes?

Hungry Caterpillar 06-22-2012 05:42 PM

I love blackberry chicken. Basically you make a less-sweet quick jam first, and then put it on chicken that is around an hour left of cooking time in the crockpot or around 15-20 mins left in the oven. It glazes the chicken sweet and tart. I actually do the same thing with pork and apricots. We eat over rice.

Blackberry homemade ice cream is probably the most yummy ice cream there is.

Fishie Kisses 06-22-2012 06:02 PM

put them in an ice chest...put the ice chest in a box...seal it up...and ship them to me!!! lol

Hands&Fire Pottery 06-22-2012 06:39 PM

Wine
Happy neighbors and friends from blackberry gifts
Roadside blackberry stand with honor payment box

Jen's_4 06-22-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leocaligirl (Post 15291687)
:giggle2: There is no such thing as to many blackberries. :giggle2:
Syrup sounds great. Also can you can some whole so you can use them later in the year in recipes?

Too many blackberries give you the trots. I know, because we pick berries every single night, and my two year old eats her whole bucket every single night. We get 1.5 to 3 gallons per night, which I feel very blessed to have, but wouldn't mind a break from picking and processing! It's one of those things that once it's done you miss it though. And I'm running out of ideas with what to do....enter you guys! Awesome ideas guys! I have canned a whole bunch whole for cooking already, and have a bunch of jars lined up in the basement. I also use frozen ones for cooking, so I've got this part covered! :goodvibes: I'm going to be doing the syrup, and got some delicious ideas from the homesteading forum, but I have got to go to the store tomorrow because I've run out of canning jars. Does anyone know the cheapest place to get them? I usually get mine at Walmart, but wondering if there was somewhere online that was cheaper. I'm going to need a bunch! :thumbsup:

doulamomma 06-22-2012 09:02 PM

Make and freeze pies!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum

loganzmama 06-24-2012 05:58 PM

You can ask for Jars on freecycle or sites like it.