Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   My company might be merging (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410220)

keonli 06-22-2012 10:03 AM

My company might be merging

And I'm sure we'll all be out of the job when the time comes. It's been hinted at for years. First my marketing position was lessened and we "collaborated" with another company. We soon laid off our secretary so now I'm a glorified secretary who handles press releases and events. Now our boss is making sure our financials and computer systems match this other company. :( I'm currently pregnant and DH and I don't make a ton of money as is.

How can I prepare if this happens sooner than later? And how is unemployment determined exactly? I've never been through this before. This was my very first real career and I've been here 6 years.

I'm trying to look at the bright side and it'll be nice to not have an hour long commute, as well as time with the baby if it around then. It'll also be great to check out other careers and put my degree to good use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nerissa 06-24-2012 07:15 AM

Re: My company might be merging

((HUGS)) It depends on your state for unemployement I think. I was on it about 8 years ago when I got let go from a company. I had to be activly looking for a job and call in every week. the company I worked for tried to fight the unemployment (but ended up looking really stupid) and I won. It was at least a month or more before the checks started coming in. they did retro it back to when I first applied. I think the money was about 60% of my salery. Is insurance through your company or DH's. If yours and DH's company offeres you might want to start looking into switching to at least getting on both so you won't have any lapse in coverage, espeically if you are pregnant.

I would start looking now and getting your resume up to date. also look at ways you and DH can cut out some expenses. Less gass money will be one, and is your older kiddo in daycare? that would be less money out of pocket.

happysmileylady 06-24-2012 07:22 AM

The best way to prepare is to start job hunting now. It sounds like the writing is on the wall and it's better to get out now on your terms. The sooner you start looking, the sooner it is likely you will find one.

pharmmama 06-24-2012 06:55 PM

I worked for Medco up until they were bought by Express Scripts several months ago. Now I work for Express Scripts. There have been a lot of executives and managers that lost their jobs so far. I imagine they'll work their way down to everyone else at some point. I've got until the end of next year at MOST before my department gets the squinty eye treatment, and I doubt I'll make the cut. I just don't have enough seniority compared to most in the dept.

I would make sure that your resume is up to date and start looking now. That way you have some time to look without feeling the pressure of not having a job. Any recruiter will tell you that you have a better chance of getting a job if you already have one. I've been keeping my eye out in case the right position comes along, but I'm not going to seriously job hunt until after DD gets here in the next few weeks. I'll start looking more seriously when my maternity leave is coming to an end.

keonli 07-02-2012 09:16 AM

Well, my resume is all spruced up and at least I have connections. I don't plan on actively looking while pregnant (who would seriously hire me, you know?) but I already have my resume out there. I know of a few part time places that I can easily jump into. It just feels weird to think I won't have a career.

We are pretty secure with our funds, but could do better. My insurance is with my employer but I can switch to DH's (they wouldn't take me because my company covers more than they do). DS will be out of nursery school when he starts public school, so that's an extra 4k right there a year.

I've actually been looking for a new job for a while after we moved 3 years ago. It was just very hard to find a decent one in our state (the starting salary was under 30K for someone with a degree!) but I know I won't be overly picky when worse comes to worse.

Thanks for all the advice!

keonli 07-11-2012 09:12 AM

Mini update: Well, it looks like we're looking for a new marketing/campaign person. Technically, I do the marketing but since we laid off the secretary a few years back, I've been a glorified secretary who submits press releases, updates our site and facebook, and emails publication ideas to the printer's. The Help Wanted ad we're releasing specifically states that we're looking for someone to work on publications, our social networking sites, and contact the media as well as someone who has experience in fundraising.

Worse comes to worse, I'm the next one on the chopping block, or I stay and am a secretary full time. *sigh*