Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Frozen breastmilk smells?! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410240)

corscors 06-22-2012 09:58 AM

Frozen breastmilk smells?!

I just thawed out bm so my brother could learn how and use the bottle before he babysits next week...When he started feeding, the baby wanted the bottle but kept on making a funny face. I tasted it and realized that it tastes (and smells) fishy. The last time we gave him a bottle was almost 2 months ago and the milk was fine, as it has been every other time my husband has fed him with the bottle. What could be causing this? I'm concerned that my entire stock is contaminated!!!!

wingedwhimsy 06-22-2012 12:17 PM

Re: Frozen breastmilk smells?!

I have over 1,500 i have to throw away because of this. If it's the same thing... It's because i have high lipase (sp) which causes the milk to break down faster. they say it's fine for the baby to drink, but mine wouldn't. it smelled (and tasted) like spit up so I would have felt horrible giving it to her. They say you can stop the milk from breaking down if you heat it to 180 degrees then quickly cool it down....

leila03ash 07-16-2012 12:10 PM

Before you throw it out, my lc said a lot of places want that milk to run tests on. You might call an lc and check before dumping it. Oh and that sucks! I'm so sorry.

sabbydavis 08-13-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingedwhimsy (Post 15291074)
I have over 1,500 i have to throw away because of this. If it's the same thing... It's because i have high lipase (sp) which causes the milk to break down faster. they say it's fine for the baby to drink, but mine wouldn't. it smelled (and tasted) like spit up so I would have felt horrible giving it to her. They say you can stop the milk from breaking down if you heat it to 180 degrees then quickly cool it down....

Don't throw out! I had same problem and I mixed flavored pedialyte with my milk (smelled like metal!) and my son drank it fine no issues. I used every last bit. Having lipase problem again this time and will likely do the same when he's older.

oohcatie 08-16-2012 12:02 PM

My step mom had this problem with my new little brother. She would heat the milk up to steaming, and that took care of the odd taste/smell. Of course she would cool it off before giving it to him to drink.

It's strange that this occurs for only some mothers. I was expecting this issue, but my milk is normal out of the freezer.

je_friend 08-17-2012 12:08 PM

Yep. High lipase. You can also kind of "flash-cook" it before freezing to stop this happening- dunk the bottle in a pot of boiling water really quickly until it's pretty hot, then cool it off in ice water. Of course, heating does destroy some enyzmes/proteins in addition to the lipase, but if it smells funny and the kid won't eat it....