Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I think I have thrush (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410721)

wonton 06-23-2012 01:40 PM

I think I have thrush

So my nipple hurts every time she latches on. She is 16 months old so weve been nursing awhile now.
My nipple is starting to hurt w/o her nursing as well, but every time she latches it's killer ugh.
I tried to look in her mouth but she fights it, from what I can see, I dont see anything.
The only real symptom is the pain, but that's enough for me.
I know I eat way too much sugar, it's my addiction that my antidepressants seem to induce. And w/the heat and wearing my exercise bra more often, I think the combo introduced the yeast. =(

Anyway anyone have some specific home remedies I can try? I really dont want to have to go to the doctor to treat this.

Ive done some googling but if anyone has some specific products to recommend, I know of gentian violet and probiotics but not specifics.

HELP please. TIA.

tibeca 06-23-2012 02:05 PM

Re: I think I have thrush

Check out "dr jack newman's candida protocol." He talks about some natural options (Grapefruit seed extract, probiotics, gentian violet etc). I have also heard good things about coconut oil All that said, I opt for miconazole (generic Monistat) within 24 hours of trying natural things if they aren't working.

wonton 06-23-2012 02:40 PM

I think I am going to try a combo of EV coconut oil, gentian violet, and acidophilus and cut out as much sugar as possible and hopefully that will do the trick.

I noticed my breast is swollen at the nipple and more pink.

This child nurses ALL the time, she nurses off and on all the time, pops on and off and nurses when she's bored for comfort or whatever, and so there is never really "after a feeding" because of how much she nurses.

I also diluted some vinegar and put it on my nipple for the time being till we get to the store.

Ive been really lucky as to not have any major boob complications from her nursing.

IF I do have to take the monistat, Im guessing Id just take it vaginally like a typical yeast infection?
Ive very rarely have ever had a yeast infection, which is surprising consider how much sugar/bread I consume.

Thanks for responding. If anyone else wants to contribute please do.

Mom2jandb 06-23-2012 02:47 PM

I used GV a lot. 1% (2% is too strong)
You swab a little on your nipple with a Qtip once a day for a week.

You can also call your OB for some Diflucan.

Mom2jandb 06-23-2012 02:48 PM

Mom2jandb 06-23-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonton (Post 15296473)
I think I am going to try a combo of EV coconut oil, gentian violet, and acidophilus and cut out as much sugar as possible and hopefully that will do the trick.

I noticed my breast is swollen at the nipple and more pink.

This child nurses ALL the time, she nurses off and on all the time, pops on and off and nurses when she's bored for comfort or whatever, and so there is never really "after a feeding" because of how much she nurses.

I also diluted some vinegar and put it on my nipple for the time being till we get to the store.

Ive been really lucky as to not have any major boob complications from her nursing.

IF I do have to take the monistat, Im guessing Id just take it vaginally like a typical yeast infection?
Ive very rarely have ever had a yeast infection, which is surprising consider how much sugar/bread I consume.

Thanks for responding. If anyone else wants to contribute please do.

I think the Monistat goes on your nipple.
I personally never felt comfortable doing that, especially since my LO was never "done" nursing.

Mom2jandb 06-23-2012 03:00 PM

:offtopic_happy:

Your baby looks a LOT like both of mine!

tibeca 06-23-2012 03:19 PM

Monistat is applied topically to the nipple, so you'd want the cream. Often times, for moms that have very heavy nursers, you can consider putting it on the nipple after bedtime (when they're least likely to need to nurse again for at least a little while). That said, every source I have (including the link below), says that any visible amounts of miconazole should be wiped off prior to the next feed, but the nipples do NOT need to be washed to remove any residual amounts.

Thrush treatment

wonton 06-23-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jandb (Post 15296503)

You can also call your OB for some Diflucan.

OK thanks I will try that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jandb (Post 15296521)
I think the Monistat goes on your nipple.
I personally never felt comfortable doing that, especially since my LO was never "done" nursing.

Ahh well that's good to know. :blush:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2jandb (Post 15296541)
:offtopic_happy:

Your baby looks a LOT like both of mine!

My dd is 1/4 Korean, her dad being 1/2 Korean, are your lo's part Asian?
She looks way less Asian now as a 16mos old, she looks like me w/a "veil" of her dada.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 15296643)
Monistat is applied topically to the nipple, so you'd want the cream. Often times, for moms that have very heavy nursers, you can consider putting it on the nipple after bedtime (when they're least likely to need to nurse again for at least a little while). That said, every source I have (including the link below), says that any visible amounts of miconazole should be wiped off prior to the next feed, but the nipples do NOT need to be washed to remove any residual amounts.

Thrush treatment

I will consider this if the other stuff doesnt work for sure.

For now Im laying off all sugar (which dh doesnt think will help since breast milk has sugar in it) and using the diluted vinegar on my breast. Ill just grin and bear it for now. She may not nurse for an hour right after she falls asleep at night but she wakes up during the night to nurse, not sure how often for sure.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

Mom2jandb 08-04-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonton

My dd is 1/4 Korean, her dad being 1/2 Korean, are your lo's part Asian?
She looks way less Asian now as a 16mos old, she looks like me w/a "veil" of her dada.

I'm seeing this a little late... No Asian here, but I have cat eyes. Your avatar pic is remarkably similar to my DDs as newbs, and definitely in the eyes.