Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homesteading (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=226)
-   -   beetles. beetles. AND more beetles! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410754)

kushie tushie 06-23-2012 01:50 PM

beetles. beetles. AND more beetles!

A couple days ago I went out to water the garden and noticed a beetle. I remember thinking "we need to get a beetle bag asap before it becomes an infectation". We've had years were they have demolished our garden in days. We finally got our bag up last night but there is aready quite a bit of damage.
The last couple days we have barely been able to go outside b/c they practially attack you. One actual crawled in my shirt and bit me! Yesterday we noticed mealworm beetles in the house. We probably killed 10 already.

So we have brown beetles and Jap. Beetles outside and Mealworm beetles inside. This happened every summer when the temp gets really hot. I"m so frustrated!
I guess i'm just kind of venting but if you have any suggestions for me that would be cool too.
I didnt proofread this. Sorry if its a total mess :giggle:

Amanda :). Blaming my phone for typos and crap.

brookglen 06-23-2012 05:02 PM

Re: beetles. beetles. AND more beetles!

Can you dust with DE? That WILL get rid of beetles. I know this because erroneously killed all of the lady beetles in my yard with the stuff.

kushie tushie 06-23-2012 05:07 PM

It would be ok to put it in my garden on my veggies?

Leiiki 06-23-2012 05:19 PM

Don't do the trap! It will lure every beetle for miles. What you really want is for your neighbor to get one ;)

Charlie's Soap works well in the garden - I use it for stink bugs, cucumber beetles, and Japanese beetles.

kushie tushie 06-23-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki
Don't do the trap! It will lure every beetle for miles. What you really want is for your neighbor to get one ;)

Charlie's Soap works well in the garden - I use it for stink bugs, cucumber beetles, and Japanese beetles.

We put it clear on the other side of the yard. We've used it before. You really think its not a good idea?

I hate them so much. They are like little flying kamikazis (sp? Way off). As soon as we walked outside today that swarmed my son and covered! :yuck:

3lilbubs 06-23-2012 07:11 PM

Bird feeders. Birds love delicious little beetles.

kushie tushie 06-23-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Bird feeders. Birds love delicious little beetles.

Oooo thats a good idea! :thumbsup:

Jenette 06-23-2012 09:05 PM

Looks like I have squash beetles :( and aphid. I was going to buy some ladybugs but now u wondering if I should use some DE first?

brookglen 06-23-2012 11:18 PM

Food grade DE is fine in your garden. It's ground up fossilized fish bones. Completely non toxic. But it's really really effective so go easy on it.

kushie tushie 06-24-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookglen
Food grade DE is fine in your garden. It's ground up fossilized fish bones. Completely non toxic. But it's really really effective so go easy on it.

So how much should I use? Like just sprinkle it in the dirt?