Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1yo meal sizes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411283)

MamaTee 06-24-2012 10:34 PM

1yo meal sizes?

My daughter has been eating solids on and off since 4 months, more or less blw, but mostly because she wants to eat whatever I have :giggle:
So, what would be considered an appropriate sized meal for a 1yo? She never seems to sit very still, which makes it seem like she never eats, but in reality she's either eating or bfing all day.
What do you do?

triplomom 06-25-2012 12:12 AM

Re: 1yo meal sizes?

Oh, man, this is one of those questions where you can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. :) My kids have run the gamut, and flip-flopped from one end to the other at various times. As infants, DD#1 used to eat one 4-oz. portion (either a jar or something homemade) per meal, while the triplets used to eat 2+, and sometimes 3 portions. Then, at a year old, DD#1 started eating whole plates (toddler plates, but still...) of food, and the triplets just don't have the patience to sit through that long a meal.

That said, I have some averages that might help. A single meal for one one-year-old can consist of any of the following.

- One packet of oatmeal, prepared according to instructions (or a similar sized portion from scratch, if I have my act together enough to make it).
- One slice of wheat bread with two slices of turkey/chicken and a slice of cheese
- One avocado and a slice of bread
- One banana and a handful of Cheerios
- Two smallish pieces of chicken (e.g., a drumstick and a wing), or one big piece (e.g., a thigh), plus a small amount of whatever else is being served
- One egg with one slice of cheese, or 1.5-2 eggs cooked plain

Hope that helps! In general, I guess we're looking at about a cup of food overall, maybe a little more or a little less, depending on how dense it is and how hungry the kid is. :)

yarrowwind 06-25-2012 03:57 AM

If she's still mostly BFing then she won't "need" to eat as much (and probably won't be as hungry). I would just make extra of whatever I was eating... unless she has allergies that you don't have? It's been my experience that babies learn what to eat (and eventually how much to eat) from their caregivers and they like to eat whatever you eat.

So, that's what I do. I just make more of whatever I am eating, or they just get part of mine. Like if I'm eating a muffin or something they can have little pieces of it or if I am eating chicken they get little bits of it, etc. I don't like most of the pre-made baby foods because I think they taste nasty (yeah, I try babyfood... I'm weird like that).

blackbirdmama*3 06-25-2012 09:03 AM

Mine were also still b****** at 1 year and meals would generally be a few bites of food. They definitely ate more at times though.

newtwinmom 06-26-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triplomom
Oh, man, this is one of those questions where you can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. :) My kids have run the gamut, and flip-flopped from one end to the other at various times. As infants, DD#1 used to eat one 4-oz. portion (either a jar or something homemade) per meal, while the triplets used to eat 2+, and sometimes 3 portions. Then, at a year old, DD#1 started eating whole plates (toddler plates, but still...) of food, and the triplets just don't have the patience to sit through that long a meal.

That said, I have some averages that might help. A single meal for one one-year-old can consist of any of the following.

- One packet of oatmeal, prepared according to instructions (or a similar sized portion from scratch, if I have my act together enough to make it).
- One slice of wheat bread with two slices of turkey/chicken and a slice of cheese
- One avocado and a slice of bread
- One banana and a handful of Cheerios
- Two smallish pieces of chicken (e.g., a drumstick and a wing), or one big piece (e.g., a thigh), plus a small amount of whatever else is being served
- One egg with one slice of cheese, or 1.5-2 eggs cooked plain

Hope that helps! In general, I guess we're looking at about a cup of food overall, maybe a little more or a little less, depending on how dense it is and how hungry the kid is. :)

Wow! Don't think my 21 mo olds eat near that at one meal! In fact that's about what they split!

freckles2006 06-26-2012 09:07 AM

I always just start with a few bites of each item I've made for dinner and they have to sit in their booster/high chair until the meal is over, even if they're just goofing off with their food. If they eat it all then I give them a tiny bit more, if they don't then we didn't have a bunch of food wasted or flung around the dining room.

danielle 06-26-2012 11:17 AM

I feed my 11 month old son when he's hungry. I just throw stuff together and feed him until he stops eating. I have no idea what an appropriate amount is. He eats a whole Yo Baby in the morning though.

x403momx 06-30-2012 09:23 AM

I swear my kids ate more as babies than they did as toddlers. Even now my 2 year old seems to eat more than my 5 year old. lol. Probably doesn't help you at all. Just feed her what you can and don't worry about it. Kids eat when they are hungry :)

et8833 07-17-2012 02:54 AM

I'm wondering about this too... My daughter, who's 13 months old, will eat about 3 oz of solid foods at each serving and call it done, and wants her milk (formula) about an hour later. She eats about 3 servings of solids a day. I wonder if she's eating enough?

mel j 07-17-2012 09:29 AM

It's going to be different for every LO. I have an article by Dr. Sears posted in our kitchen :) it's more about picky eaters but I think it helps for feeding babies in general too.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...-eater-17-tips

Also I found for mine, when they started solids they couldn't wait to get anything possible in their mouths and loved food but by 1.5 or so they were bored with food and preferred to nurse, so I made more of an effort to make sure they ate before they nursed etc. But I try to remember their stomachs are only so little still and they really don't need that much... when they eat a lot they might be going through a growth spurt :)