Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Tell me about NFP (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411481)

JustSomeChickVee 06-25-2012 11:08 AM

Tell me about NFP

Can you tell me about NFP? How does it work, how effective is it? Do I need to have regular postpartum periods?

and speaking of postpartum periods, where yours regular? I stopped pumping in April and got my period around May 1st. Then I started pumping again in an attempt to relactate and I got a very short 3 day long period on May 18th... and I haven't had a period since. So technically I am a week late. I have taken two pregnancy tests. One the day I was late and one 2 days ago. Both have been negative. Is this normal?

Vivymonster 06-25-2012 04:58 PM

Re: Tell me about NFP

I will be interested in the responses here. My daughter is 7 months now and I haven't had a period yet. I really want to practice NFP but I am not sure how when I don't have periods >_<

JustSomeChickVee 06-26-2012 12:14 PM

bump

Kap7270 06-27-2012 08:23 PM

There are definitely some NFP methods which are very effective during the postpartum period. I believe the Creighton Model FertilityCare System is the best... which is why I teach the method :) It is based on observations of cervical mucus which show up prior to ovulation - basically, when you start seeing signs of cervical mucus, you know that you are fertile so would avoid intercourse if you want to avoid a pregnancy. That's the general concept, but of course, there is more to it then that which is why private classes are held with the teacher and the couple pretty frequently in the beginning while you are learning the nuances.
It is very effective in avoiding pregnancy as long as you follow the instructions. 99.5% effective when used perfectly and 96.8% with typical use.
Even when returning to fertility after the birth of a baby, the cervical mucus will give you advance notice of ovulation. This is especially important because you can ovulate before your first period.
As far as your irregular periods, it is very common for the first 2-3 cycles after the baby is born to be pretty erratic.
Sorry if I was too wordy - I'm passionate about it! Personally, I used the method easily after the birth of my almost 2 year old son.

JustSomeChickVee 06-29-2012 10:50 PM

update.. i got my period today. so now that we have the issue covered...

Kap7270 06-30-2012 06:17 AM

That must make you feel better :)

pastdiapers 07-12-2012 11:13 PM

Getting older, weight changes, poor diet, sleep disturbances, + stress can all affect cycles, usually making the body ovulate later + so our periods will be later, too. Mucus can signal that ovulation is near but the temperature is the only way to confirm ovulation outside lab work - so, we charted both for 20 years and it worked for us w/o surprises + used abstinence to increase effectiveness ( no condoms or 'pull-out' ). You do not need to be regular because the data shows you what is happening or not THAT day. Temperatures can even be 99.9% helpful to tell you IF you're pregnant as well! Try it! NFPInternational has a 'symptothermal' method online-course/free charts

JustSomeChickVee 07-22-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap7270 (Post 15330650)
That must make you feel better :)

You bet! lol.

JustSomeChickVee 07-31-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kap7270 (Post 15319791)
There are definitely some NFP methods which are very effective during the postpartum period. I believe the Creighton Model FertilityCare System is the best... which is why I teach the method :) It is based on observations of cervical mucus which show up prior to ovulation - basically, when you start seeing signs of cervical mucus, you know that you are fertile so would avoid intercourse if you want to avoid a pregnancy. That's the general concept, but of course, there is more to it then that which is why private classes are held with the teacher and the couple pretty frequently in the beginning while you are learning the nuances.
It is very effective in avoiding pregnancy as long as you follow the instructions. 99.5% effective when used perfectly and 96.8% with typical use.
Even when returning to fertility after the birth of a baby, the cervical mucus will give you advance notice of ovulation. This is especially important because you can ovulate before your first period.
As far as your irregular periods, it is very common for the first 2-3 cycles after the baby is born to be pretty erratic.
Sorry if I was too wordy - I'm passionate about it! Personally, I used the method easily after the birth of my almost 2 year old son.

I've had about 5 cycles and they're either irregular or I have a longer cycle and just don't know it because I was on birth control pills for like 4 years. My last period was June 29th, which was 12 days late. I still don't have a period this month, which makes me two days late so far.

How does the Creighton method work? I can't reach my cervix at all, even my midwife had a lot of trouble checking me lol. So internal observations aren't really an option for me.

JustSomeChickVee 07-31-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastdiapers (Post 15393411)
Getting older, weight changes, poor diet, sleep disturbances, + stress can all affect cycles, usually making the body ovulate later + so our periods will be later, too. Mucus can signal that ovulation is near but the temperature is the only way to confirm ovulation outside lab work - so, we charted both for 20 years and it worked for us w/o surprises + used abstinence to increase effectiveness ( no condoms or 'pull-out' ). You do not need to be regular because the data shows you what is happening or not THAT day. Temperatures can even be 99.9% helpful to tell you IF you're pregnant as well! Try it! NFPInternational has a 'symptothermal' method online-course/free charts

Did you use only the sympto-thermal method, or did you combine it with mucus and cervical observations?