Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Heating up bottles (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411519)

busyteacher 06-25-2012 01:31 PM

Heating up bottles

What is the quickest way you have found to heat a bottle? I have been using a cup filled with hot water, but getting it from refrigerator cold to room temp takes at least 20 minutes and I have to change the water at least once. Is there an easier way? The problem is he likes to eat as soon as he gets up so I have to have it ready by then or he gets upset.

babylove921 06-25-2012 02:20 PM

Don't put it in the fridge?

busyteacher 06-25-2012 02:29 PM

Re: Heating up bottles

I make all our bottles for the day in the morning because I boil the water to make mixing easier so they are stored in the fridge until time to eat. Not having to refrigerate them would make it easy but that's not an option for us at this point.

MacyKM 06-25-2012 02:37 PM

Bottle Warmer. I think they are about 20 bucks

happysmileylady 06-25-2012 02:51 PM

I am a TERRIBLE mom...I would pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds. Never ever longer than that, and I stir them up really good to make sure there are no hot spots. At only 30 seconds, in my microwave at least, that's not even long enough to make them warm, it just brings the refrigerator chill off. I know you aren't supposed to microwave them due to the risk of hot spots and burns and stuff, but really, 30 seconds isn't long enough to create a hot spot in my experience.

sandhillcranes 06-25-2012 02:59 PM

using glass bottles. i keep breastmilk in the fridge and i can get it heated quickly. i put the breastmilk in born free glass bottles. i heat water in the microwave for 2 mins, take it out, drop the glass bottle into the hot water and it heats super quick. this way, nothing that goes in baby is FROM the microwave and no heating of plastic.

sandhillcranes 06-25-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happysmileylady (Post 15306224)
I am a TERRIBLE mom...I would pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds. .

:giggle2: this made me LOL!

tryin 06-25-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandhillcranes (Post 15306271)
:giggle2: this made me LOL!

This is what i always do. Just shake bottle very well. I have not seen any adverse effects in any of my children.

mibarra 06-25-2012 03:32 PM

I know with breastmilk microwaving actually kills the nutrients, don't know if that's true for formula...

I have a 1st Years Bottle Warmer. Takes about 5 minutes. $20 or less. Lasted through 2 kids so far. You have to do a little experimentation with the water level (start with suggested and then do more or less by a bit to get it where you want it), but it's a lifesaver. :)

busyteacher 06-25-2012 04:46 PM

Bottle warmer is a great idea. I hadnt thought about that. I have definitely thought of popping it in the microwave but saw on the package not too and I wasn't sure why it said that. Our bottles turn colors if it is too hot in the middle so that might work too!