Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Dehydrator Recipes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411575)

aumismommy 06-25-2012 03:19 PM

Dehydrator Recipes

Please share your favorites! We have an Excalibur that has been living in the garage :( and I am excited to bring it back in and get it going. Need some fun ideas!

Jen's_4 06-25-2012 03:37 PM

Re: Dehydrator Recipes

Yeah me too! I just got a new Good4U dehydrator to update from my very old crummy walmart one, and I need some ideas! Although I have to say, so far I haven't been that impressed with it (it took 40 hours!! to dry a load of blackberries) so it may get exchanged at the end of my 30 day trial.

AutumnRose 07-09-2012 04:04 PM

if you have a tray for making fruit flats you can puree any fruit with a little water and dry it, they are sooo yummy!

1plus3=4 07-10-2012 09:50 PM

I have just been starting with this stuff too. We take bananas and you let them soak in lemon juice for 5 min. cut them up in small or thick pieces and let them dry :) I think I left mine in for a little less than 5 minutes and did thin and they were so good! I just checked on them after a few hours and took them off when I felt done.

I also did apples :) My FAVORITE! I peel the apple and cut it into slices. Let is soak for 1-2 minutes in lemon juice and then let it sit in the dehydrator. The good news is the apples do not take long :)

ambo 07-27-2012 05:19 PM

I puree plums and lay them out in the sun on cookie sheets sprayed with cooking oil (Pam-style). After they dry (it happens fast where I live), I cut them into strips and store in an air-tight jar.

Van1300 07-28-2012 06:57 AM

You can do a lot. I use mine for backpacking.

Fruit leather is easy peasy. Blend applesauce with any pureed fruit and spread out real thin on parchment paper or the plastic tray without the holes that come with your machine.

I do veggies too. Tomatos, brocoli, green beans, peppers, even a whole bag of frozen peas. Just dump and dry.

You can make sauces dried into powders. Just dry and then pulse the sauce leather in a blender/food processor. Hummus, tomato sauce, other bean dips. Just don't add any fat to the recipe until after you reconstitute it. (Like olive oil or butter).

You can make jerky, ground beef crumbles, and shredded dried turkey/chicken. Just cook, drain the fat, and cut into small pieces before drying.

Pasta, grains, rice are also easy. Just pre-cook and dry. Then you only need to pour hot water over them and let sit for 5-10 minutes.

Here are some of my favorite outdoor related websites for dehydrating, there are a lot of recipes:

Trail Cooking
One Pan Wonders
Backpacking Chef

momof3BBs 08-13-2012 07:22 PM

I have been dehydrating all the summer squash and zucchini people have been giving us! Just cut into chunks and let run overnight then store in a glass jar until you need some for soup or another recipe.

CMamma 08-13-2012 07:28 PM

I have one here too & just started using it a lot. One of the things we do the most is use it for making yogurt. It's really easy to set it at 110 for the night & not thing about it. We just use a silver milk bucket to do it (with all trays removed).

My kids love fruit roll ups that I make in it. Do you have those shiny sheets too? I coat them with a little EVCO or EVOO & then spread a past of pureed fruit on it (just pureed in the blender & if it's too liquidy, either thicken with xanthum or cook it down a little). Then just pop it in for a few hours & it'll be done. I love that the kids can have a healthy snack like that for school too. It's easy to store them by putting on wax or parchment paper & rolling up. I keep them in the fridge just b/c I don't put anything in them to preserve & don't want to worry about issues with mold, etc.

mirnavela 08-16-2012 09:55 AM

I've been debating on whether or not to buy a dehydrator, and your yummy ideas have swayed me! Can't wait to try some if these out!

blathnat 08-16-2012 09:31 PM

I love my Excalibur! We have a farmshare so I dehydrate most of the herbs we get so I can use them throughout the year. I really love dehydrated bananas, and they are a great treat for my LO. Any fruit really is great to cut up and dehydrate. I did watermelon a little while ago and it was so fun. It comes out super sweet. Beet chips are also good. I make chewy granola bars in the dehydrator. Kale chips in the dehydrator come out great. I'm a vegetarian, but my housemates borrowed it to make jerky that they enjoyed.